Computers not networking - Wireless

This is a discussion on Computers not networking - Wireless ; Hi, I have a computer (let's say 'A') running XP with internet connection sharing enabled so that two other machines can be networked to it and use the internet, using wired connections. This wired network works successfully. I have now ...

  1. Computers not networking

    Hi, I have a computer (let's say 'A') running XP with internet connection
    sharing enabled so that two other machines can be networked to it and use the
    internet, using wired connections. This wired network works successfully. I
    have now installed a USB wireless adaptor on computer 'A' which is showing as
    successfully installed and I am trying to add a laptop (as a fourth machine)
    with wirelss connectivity to my home network for internet access and file and
    printer sharing (I am not using a router; 'A' has an external broadband
    modem). On both 'A' and the laptop the wireless network is showing as
    connected: the laptop picking up the name of A's wireless network connection
    and indicating a strong signal. However I cannot even ping from one computer
    to the other, and inded the laptop is showing that no data has even been been
    sent.

    I have run the network setup wizard on both computers ('A' first). After
    running it on computer A I notice that a network bridge has been created
    (something that I was unable to achieve manually).

    Can anyone advise me how to get the laptop to be able to join the home
    network and access the internet from 'A' (without using a router)?

    A's Network Bridge is set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and
    ipconfig/release then IPconfig/renew on the laptop tells me 'unable to
    contact your DHCP server'. This happens with all firewalls switched off.

    I have followed instructions in help and support to configure the wirelss
    connection 'A' to start with.

    Please can anyone help? Many thanks.

  2. Re: Computers not networking

    If turn off the firewall, can you ping it?

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Mike" wrote in message news:75DFFE37-0330-4B39-AEAD-5141B1074FF5@microsoft.com...
[...]

  3. Re: Computers not networking

    No: cannot ping even with firewalls off.

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > If turn off the firewall, can you ping it?
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "Mike" wrote in message news:75DFFE37-0330-4B39-AEAD-5141B1074FF5@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, I have a computer (let's say 'A') running XP with internet connection
    > sharing enabled so that two other machines can be networked to it and use the
    > internet, using wired connections. This wired network works successfully. I
    > have now installed a USB wireless adaptor on computer 'A' which is showing as
    > successfully installed and I am trying to add a laptop (as a fourth machine)
    > with wirelss connectivity to my home network for internet access and file and
    > printer sharing (I am not using a router; 'A' has an external broadband
    > modem). On both 'A' and the laptop the wireless network is showing as
    > connected: the laptop picking up the name of A's wireless network connection
    > and indicating a strong signal. However I cannot even ping from one computer
    > to the other, and inded the laptop is showing that no data has even been been
    > sent.
    >
    > I have run the network setup wizard on both computers ('A' first). After
    > running it on computer A I notice that a network bridge has been created
    > (something that I was unable to achieve manually).
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to get the laptop to be able to join the home
    > network and access the internet from 'A' (without using a router)?
    >
    > A's Network Bridge is set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and
    > ipconfig/release then IPconfig/renew on the laptop tells me 'unable to
    > contact your DHCP server'. This happens with all firewalls switched off.
    >
    > I have followed instructions in help and support to configure the wirelss
    > connection 'A' to start with.
    >
    > Please can anyone help? Many thanks

  4. Re: Computers not networking

    If you don't have another security software blocking the ping, I would double check the TCP/IP settings.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Mike" wrote in message news:C99CF9A7-F3DA-4EB9-927A-CC340DE5FA76@microsoft.com...
    No: cannot ping even with firewalls off.

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > If turn off the firewall, can you ping it?
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "Mike" wrote in message news:75DFFE37-0330-4B39-AEAD-5141B1074FF5@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, I have a computer (let's say 'A') running XP with internet connection
    > sharing enabled so that two other machines can be networked to it and use the
    > internet, using wired connections. This wired network works successfully. I
    > have now installed a USB wireless adaptor on computer 'A' which is showing as
    > successfully installed and I am trying to add a laptop (as a fourth machine)
    > with wirelss connectivity to my home network for internet access and file and
    > printer sharing (I am not using a router; 'A' has an external broadband
    > modem). On both 'A' and the laptop the wireless network is showing as
    > connected: the laptop picking up the name of A's wireless network connection
    > and indicating a strong signal. However I cannot even ping from one computer
    > to the other, and inded the laptop is showing that no data has even been been
    > sent.
    >
    > I have run the network setup wizard on both computers ('A' first). After
    > running it on computer A I notice that a network bridge has been created
    > (something that I was unable to achieve manually).
    >
    > Can anyone advise me how to get the laptop to be able to join the home
    > network and access the internet from 'A' (without using a router)?
    >
    > A's Network Bridge is set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and
    > ipconfig/release then IPconfig/renew on the laptop tells me 'unable to
    > contact your DHCP server'. This happens with all firewalls switched off.
    >
    > I have followed instructions in help and support to configure the wirelss
    > connection 'A' to start with.
    >
    > Please can anyone help? Many thanks

  5. Re: Computers not networking

    I have networked before using the wired route. I don't fully understand all
    the protocols, TCP/IP settings etc, but from my limited experience I don't
    THINK this is the problem. Computers are set to obtain automatically. One
    thing I am interested in however: having tried to set up the wireless
    connection using the wireless connection wizard the icon that appears
    alongside it in the 'wireless connections properties' box under the 'wireless
    networks' tab listed under 'preferred networks' is different to the one that
    appears alongside the connection that I had already created manually in the
    same list! I think this may be because the wizard hasn't created a 'peer to
    peer' connection, which is what I need? Clearly I am out of my depth!

    When wireless network connection (‘per to peer’) shows as connected in
    yellow box that comes up from connection icon in system tray, ipconfig
    returns 169.254.84.255 for ‘ethernet adaptor network bridge’ on main computer
    (‘A’), and ipconfig returns 169.254.31.16 for ‘ethernet adaptor wireless
    connection 2’ on the laptop, again when it is also showing as connected in
    the system tray (both computers are referring to the same wireless connection
    name in their system trays, 'mike's nw'). For both computers tcp/ip settings
    are set to obtain addresses automatically. In this state cannot ping either
    machine from the other: the laptop ping to ‘A’ times out and pinging from A
    gives answer ‘destination host unreachable’.

    ‘A’’s connection status shows packets sent but the laptop’s connection
    status shows packets neither sent nor received. All firewalls off.

    Hope you pick up this post as it was two or three days ago you replied last.
    Thanks.

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

    > If you don't have another security software blocking the ping, I would double check the TCP/IP settings.
    >
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > "Mike" wrote in message news:C99CF9A7-F3DA-4EB9-927A-CC340DE5FA76@microsoft.com...
    > No: cannot ping even with firewalls off.
    >
    > "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    >
    > > If turn off the firewall, can you ping it?
    > >
    > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > > "Mike" wrote in message news:75DFFE37-0330-4B39-AEAD-5141B1074FF5@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi, I have a computer (let's say 'A') running XP with internet connection
    > > sharing enabled so that two other machines can be networked to it and use the
    > > internet, using wired connections. This wired network works successfully. I
    > > have now installed a USB wireless adaptor on computer 'A' which is showing as
    > > successfully installed and I am trying to add a laptop (as a fourth machine)
    > > with wirelss connectivity to my home network for internet access and file and
    > > printer sharing (I am not using a router; 'A' has an external broadband
    > > modem). On both 'A' and the laptop the wireless network is showing as
    > > connected: the laptop picking up the name of A's wireless network connection
    > > and indicating a strong signal. However I cannot even ping from one computer
    > > to the other, and inded the laptop is showing that no data has even been been
    > > sent.
    > >
    > > I have run the network setup wizard on both computers ('A' first). After
    > > running it on computer A I notice that a network bridge has been created
    > > (something that I was unable to achieve manually).
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise me how to get the laptop to be able to join the home
    > > network and access the internet from 'A' (without using a router)?
    > >
    > > A's Network Bridge is set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and
    > > ipconfig/release then IPconfig/renew on the laptop tells me 'unable to
    > > contact your DHCP server'. This happens with all firewalls switched off.
    > >
    > > I have followed instructions in help and support to configure the wirelss
    > > connection 'A' to start with.
    > >
    > > Please can anyone help? Many thanks

+ Reply to Thread