Linux box on MS network? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Linux box on MS network? - Wireless ; I have a working home network with 3 computers (one Win XP Pro and 2 Win XP Home) attached to it. Everything has been working fine for some time now. Now I have an old box that I'm testing a ...

  1. Linux box on MS network?

    I have a working home network with 3 computers (one Win XP Pro and 2
    Win XP Home) attached to it. Everything has been working fine for some
    time now.

    Now I have an old box that I'm testing a Linux distro on (Ubuntu). I
    have it connected to the Windows network, and it can copy files from
    shared folders just fine. and connect to the internet through the
    network to get updates. However, none of the Windows computers can
    even "see" the Linux box.... even tho it sees all of them.

    Anyone have an idea of what is wrong, or how to go about making the
    Linux box show up to the Win computers?

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir

  2. Re: Linux box on MS network?

    you probably have to start the sharing process/service on the linux box.

    "Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >I have a working home network with 3 computers (one Win XP Pro and 2
    > Win XP Home) attached to it. Everything has been working fine for some
    > time now.
    >
    > Now I have an old box that I'm testing a Linux distro on (Ubuntu). I
    > have it connected to the Windows network, and it can copy files from
    > shared folders just fine. and connect to the internet through the
    > network to get updates. However, none of the Windows computers can
    > even "see" the Linux box.... even tho it sees all of them.
    >
    > Anyone have an idea of what is wrong, or how to go about making the
    > Linux box show up to the Win computers?
    >
    > --
    > Charlie Hoffpauir
    > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

  3. Re: Linux box on MS network?

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:33:55 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

    >you probably have to start the sharing process/service on the linux box.
    >
    >"Charlie Hoffpauir" wrote in message
    >>I have a working home network with 3 computers (one Win XP Pro and 2
    >> Win XP Home) attached to it. Everything has been working fine for some
    >> time now.
    >>
    >> Now I have an old box that I'm testing a Linux distro on (Ubuntu). I
    >> have it connected to the Windows network, and it can copy files from
    >> shared folders just fine. and connect to the internet through the
    >> network to get updates. However, none of the Windows computers can
    >> even "see" the Linux box.... even tho it sees all of them.
    >>
    >> Anyone have an idea of what is wrong, or how to go about making the
    >> Linux box show up to the Win computers?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charlie Hoffpauir
    >> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

    Thanks, someone from another list gave me the instructions....
    basically I had to edit my smb.conf file to set the workgroup
    correctly, then set up a user name and password under samba.

    --
    Charlie Hoffpauir