Wirless network takes a long time to connect at startup - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wirless network takes a long time to connect at startup - Wireless ; After resolving the task bar freeze at startup by disabling the Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) (Knowledge Base Article 841571), the wirless network still takes 2 minutes to appear and connect. There is a knowledge base article about this (834565) ...

  1. Wirless network takes a long time to connect at startup

    After resolving the task bar freeze at startup by disabling the Simple
    Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) (Knowledge Base Article 841571), the
    wirless network still takes 2 minutes to appear and connect. There is a
    knowledge base article about this (834565) but it says Windows XP SP2 should
    fix this problem. I have SP2 and still have the problem. The article says I
    can contact Microsoft for the hotfix but I don't want to take the chance I
    may pay $59.00. Can someone help please? Thanks.

  2. Re: Wirless network takes a long time to connect at startup

    Hi
    It would help if you would describe you Wireless Network, and how it is
    configured.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ryan" wrote in message
    > After resolving the task bar freeze at startup by disabling the Simple
    > Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) (Knowledge Base Article 841571), the
    > wirless network still takes 2 minutes to appear and connect. There is a
    > knowledge base article about this (834565) but it says Windows XP SP2
    > should
    > fix this problem. I have SP2 and still have the problem. The article
    > says I
    > can contact Microsoft for the hotfix but I don't want to take the chance I
    > may pay $59.00. Can someone help please? Thanks.

  3. Re: Wirless network takes a long time to connect at startup

    Jack,

    Thanks for your response. I worked on the problem all morning without
    solving it. I removed my wireless network card from my pc and it still took
    a long time before the computer responded to opening explorer (internet and
    windows explorer). So the wireless network isn't the problem. I then
    thought it might be the windows firewall because after the computer starting
    responding, a balloon came up really briefly that said the windows firewall
    wasn't turned on even though it was. Then that balloon would dissapear and
    everything would function normally. But even when I disabled the firewall it
    would still take a while before programs functioned normally. So then I
    uninstalled the uPnP settings through add/remove programs. That didn't help
    either. At this point I gave up and figures I would just be patient throught
    the two minute lag when I boot up the computer. Unless you have a solution.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > It would help if you would describe you Wireless Network, and how it is
    > configured.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Ryan" wrote in message
    > > After resolving the task bar freeze at startup by disabling the Simple
    > > Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) (Knowledge Base Article 841571), the
    > > wirless network still takes 2 minutes to appear and connect. There is a
    > > knowledge base article about this (834565) but it says Windows XP SP2
    > > should
    > > fix this problem. I have SP2 and still have the problem. The article
    > > says I
    > > can contact Microsoft for the hotfix but I don't want to take the chance I
    > > may pay $59.00. Can someone help please? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread