Wireless connectivity with encryption woes - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless connectivity with encryption woes - Wireless ; Good evening all, I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong somewhere. XP Pro SP2 D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is ...

  1. Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

    Good evening all,

    I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong
    somewhere.

    XP Pro SP2
    D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem
    D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor

    My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is *no* encryption
    running, but as I climb the encryption ladder from least to most secure,my
    connectivity suffers tremendously. I might lose the connection and re-gain
    it multiple times in only 15-20 minutes. Signal strength is considered
    "excellent", and Netstumbler consistently lists it at
    -52 to-55dBm.. Any ideas why I'm not able to maintain a consistent
    connection except w/o encryption?

    My TIA,

    Curt

    Windows Support Center
    www.aumha.org
    Practically Nerded,...
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

  2. Re: Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

    what type of encryption are you using?
    try WPA2, then WPA. is there an issue with both?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

    Hi Barb,

    WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi in
    my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still have
    the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

    --
    HTH,

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    | what type of encryption are you using?
    | try WPA2, then WPA. is there an issue with both?
    |
    | On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:28:50 -0500, "Curt Christianson"
    | wrote:
    |
    | >Good evening all,
    | >
    | >I'm hoping this is a simple problem, with just a configuration wrong
    | >somewhere.
    | >
    | >XP Pro SP2
    | >D-Link WBR-2310 router to an ADSL modem
    | >D-Link WUA-2340 USB adaptor
    | >
    | >My wireless hookup performs flawlessly as long as there is *no*
    encryption
    | >running, but as I climb the encryption ladder from least to most
    secure,my
    | >connectivity suffers tremendously. I might lose the connection and
    re-gain
    | >it multiple times in only 15-20 minutes. Signal strength is considered
    | >"excellent", and Netstumbler consistently lists it at
    | >-52 to-55dBm.. Any ideas why I'm not able to maintain a consistent
    | >connection except w/o encryption?
    | >
    | >My TIA,
    | >
    | >Curt
    | >

    | >Windows Support Center
    | >www.aumha.org
    | >Practically Nerded,...
    | >http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm
    | >
    | --
    |
    | Barb Bowman
    | MS Windows-MVP
    | http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    | http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  4. Re: Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

    first, please check to see that you are running the most current
    firmware for the router

    http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=470&sec=0

    also make sure you have the latest driver for the USB wireless

    http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=473&sec=0

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:02:30 -0500, "Curt Christianson"
    wrote:

    >Hi Barb,
    >
    >WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi in
    >my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still have
    >the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut feeling.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Wireless connectivity with encryption woes

    Thank you Barb. I will check this out, and get back with you.

    --

    | first, please check to see that you are running the most current
    | firmware for the router
    |
    | http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=470&sec=0
    |
    | also make sure you have the latest driver for the USB wireless
    |
    | http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=473&sec=0
    |

    | On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:02:30 -0500, "Curt Christianson"
    | wrote:
    |
    | >Hi Barb,
    | >
    | >WPA is far better than WPA2. I haven't tried WEP yet. Very little Wi-Fi
    in
    | >my neighborhood, so I could probably get by with WEP though. I still
    have
    | >the feeling I have something configured wrong, but it's just a gut
    feeling.
    | --
    |
    | Barb Bowman
    | MS Windows-MVP