how to go wireless - Wireless

This is a discussion on how to go wireless - Wireless ; Hi I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem is i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just bought a vista laptop that i want ...

  1. how to go wireless

    Hi
    I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem is
    i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just bought
    a vista laptop that i want to run wireless but still keeping xp computer but
    i am getting told all diffrent things to buy like usb adapters and network
    cards along side the wireless router can anyone tell me what i need to do to
    get this all up and running. I know it is annoying people asking questions in
    the wrong site so if this is sorry
    thankyou

  2. Re: how to go wireless

    Assuming that:
    1. your existing computer is connect by ethernet to your cable modem
    and NOT USB

    and

    2. your new vista laptop has built in wireless

    all you need is a wireless router. get one that is certified for
    Vista to insure you don't experience issues.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. RE: how to go wireless

    All you need is Wireless router you can buy D-link router or Linksys both of
    them are good ones....and then follow the steps on following link to step
    your wireless settings. http://www.cruzio.com/support/docs/wireless_win.html

    Good Luck !!!

    "tash" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem is
    > i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just bought
    > a vista laptop that i want to run wireless but still keeping xp computer but
    > i am getting told all diffrent things to buy like usb adapters and network
    > cards along side the wireless router can anyone tell me what i need to do to
    > get this all up and running. I know it is annoying people asking questions in
    > the wrong site so if this is sorry
    > thankyou

  4. Re: how to go wireless

    Hi
    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet connection; it is short and to the point. The pages
    were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the specific choice of
    hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same.
    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105
    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=48
    What do I need for wireless networking? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122
    The whole thing should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    I currently recommend this http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "tash" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem
    > is
    > i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just
    > bought
    > a vista laptop that i want to run wireless but still keeping xp computer
    > but
    > i am getting told all diffrent things to buy like usb adapters and network
    > cards along side the wireless router can anyone tell me what i need to do
    > get this all up and running. I know it is annoying people asking questions
    > in
    > the wrong site so if this is sorry
    > thankyou

  5. RE: how to go wireless

    hi, you sound like lots of people have confused the matter a bit. really dont
    worry, your new laptop will more than likely be wireless equiped as not many
    are sold now a days with out being wireless so if it is ( check the
    documentation that came with it to be sure ) and assuming it is then you can
    forget needing network cards or usb adapters all you need is a wireless
    router to emit a wireless signal to the computer. Linksys are great and
    available from a good computer shop. Im sure where you buy one from they will
    help you with how to set up both your computers from it. hope this is ok for
    you. Matt320

    "tash" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem is
    > i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just bought
    > a vista laptop that i want to run wireless but still keeping xp computer but
    > i am getting told all diffrent things to buy like usb adapters and network
    > cards along side the wireless router can anyone tell me what i need to do to
    > get this all up and running. I know it is annoying people asking questions in
    > the wrong site so if this is sorry
    > thankyou

  6. RE: how to go wireless

    THANKYOU WILL BE ABLE TO GET IT ALL RUNNING NOW
    --
    thankyou

    "tash" wrote:

    > Hi
    > I need some advice don't know if i am at the right site. What my problem is
    > i have a windows xp pro home computer and a cable customer i have just bought
    > a vista laptop that i want to run wireless but still keeping xp computer but
    > i am getting told all diffrent things to buy like usb adapters and network
    > cards along side the wireless router can anyone tell me what i need to do to
    > get this all up and running. I know it is annoying people asking questions in
    > the wrong site so if this is sorry
    > thankyou

+ Reply to Thread