HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments - Wireless

This is a discussion on HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments - Wireless ; I Need Help Regarding setting up a small Hybrid Network for My Office and Home which are in the same building. Current Scenario: Ground Floor is used as OFFICE I have 2 PCs here, Netwoked via a simple HUB and ...

  1. HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments

    I Need Help Regarding setting up a small Hybrid Network for My Office
    and Home which are in the same building.

    Current Scenario:
    Ground Floor is used as OFFICE
    I have 2 PCs here, Netwoked via a simple HUB and No Internet

    I donot need any PC on the 1st Floor

    My HOME is on the 2nd Floor with just 1 PC connected with an ADSL
    Modem (PPPOE) via USB port, I have an 100 Mbps Ethernet Card in this
    PC and my Modem can also be connected using this Port.

    I recently bought a Laptop (802.11g) and from this laptop I now want
    to wirelessly access Internet (w/o turning ON any of the PCs) , my
    HOME PC and Office Network from either of the Floors.

    I cannot move my ADSL Modem to anyother place / floor and the network
    will be a mix of Windows XP and Windows Vista Machines.

    In my HOME I just want to access the Internet anywhere on the Floor
    and when my HOME PC is Switched ON I wud like to access files on it
    (again Wirelessly).

    In My Office I would like to build a foundation for a network which
    will in 12-18 months grow to total 4 PCs excluding the laptop. Any of
    these PCs should be able to use the Internet Connection when they
    require.The Office PCs will be however a mix of Wired and Wireless PC/
    Laptop.

    I would also like to a Print Server and a facility to centrally store
    my file (which are not much in size less than 4GB mainly MS Office
    docs)

    both the Print Server and the facility to centrally store the files is
    VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME (but w/o keeping any PC turned ON)

    I was thinking the following setup.

    In my HOME:
    A ADSL Modem cum Wireless Access Point (always ON)
    (I will dump the current modem as it is giving some problems)

    In my Office:
    A Wireless Router with 4 Port Ethernet Switch, 802.11g (no Draft n for
    me), Advanced Firewall, Qos Support, a Print Server and perhaprs a
    facility to add a USB Flash Drive for accessing my files from any PC.

    The Access Point on the second floor will connect to the Router on the
    Ground Floor via a Cat 6 cable.

    I would like to know if my design is technically and logically correct
    and where can I improve esp on costs, I would like converting my
    Office Network to a Gigabyte Ehternet in Future if possible.

    I would also like to know if it is possible to add a USB Flash Drive
    in the Router's USB Port and use it as a File Server. All my Shared
    Files would rest on this Flash Drive and any Computer on the Network
    will access it from there.

    I donot need the High Capacity Devices like NAS as the total Size of
    the Files to be shared is very small (less than 4 GB) and a Flash
    Drive can easily accomodate them.

    Please advice me as I am new into these things. I would Prefer D-Link
    Hardware beacuse my Current Wi-fi Cards (2 nos.) (802.11g model: DWL
    G520+) are from Dlink.

    Thanks to all you wonderful people out there.

  2. Re: HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments

    i would put the wireless router at the adsl location. a wireless adsl
    modem/router would cover upstairs and provide the needed
    nat/firewall/dns/dhcp services for the rest of the network you generally
    want the smartest device at the entrance point so it serves the rest of the
    network. then if the wireless doesn't cover the ground floor well enough
    you can run a cable down there from the router for an access point/hub in
    the office.

    I have never noticed a router/access point that offered usb support for
    flash drives. they can contain print servers which might be a handy thing
    to have. if you want shared disk space without a pc there are direct
    ethernet connectable disk drives made for that purpose. get one that is big
    enough so you can do backups of files from all the other machines to it...
    not just stuff you want to share or carry around, use it for real backups,
    especially for business stuff. you will be amazed at how much you should
    really back up, from copies of accounting files, email backups, other
    records, and other documents. its much better to build that into the
    network than to wish you had it after you lose something important.

    "udi" wrote in message
    news:1185720440.616839.172640@g12g2000prg.googlegr oups.com...
> [...]
    > Ground Floor via a Cat 6 cable.
    >
    > I would like to know if my design is technically and logically correct
    > and where can I improve esp on costs, I would like converting my
    > Office Network to a Gigabyte Ehternet in Future if possible.
    >
    > I would also like to know if it is possible to add a USB Flash Drive
    > in the Router's USB Port and use it as a File Server. All my Shared
    > Files would rest on this Flash Drive and any Computer on the Network
    > will access it from there.
    >
    > I donot need the High Capacity Devices like NAS as the total Size of
    > the Files to be shared is very small (less than 4 GB) and a Flash
    > Drive can easily accomodate them.
    >
    > Please advice me as I am new into these things. I would Prefer D-Link
    > Hardware beacuse my Current Wi-fi Cards (2 nos.) (802.11g model: DWL
    > G520+) are from Dlink.
    >
    > Thanks to all you wonderful people out there.

  3. Re: HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments

    Hi
    Your general thinking g is correct.
    Do not look for a magic Wireless Router that can do much more than good
    Wireless. The combos that offer every think usually are usually below the
    state of the art on the individual components.
    Get a Network printer, and if you want to do it wirelessly fit it with a
    Wireless client card (http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html ).
    There are simple NAS' that can accommodate USB Flash drive.
    This page include different scenarios that can help in Bridging,
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    For 802.11g prefer the Buffalo Wireless hardware, it offer more flexibility
    and it more stable than most other End-Users Wireless hardware (
    http://www.ezlan.net/buffalo.html ).
    By now all of 802.11g are highly compatible and you do not have to worry
    about one Brand cards using another brand Access Point.
    Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers, or
    and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "udi" wrote in message
> [...]
    > Ground Floor via a Cat 6 cable.
    >
    > I would like to know if my design is technically and logically correct
    > and where can I improve esp on costs, I would like converting my
    > Office Network to a Gigabyte Ehternet in Future if possible.
    >
    > I would also like to know if it is possible to add a USB Flash Drive
    > in the Router's USB Port and use it as a File Server. All my Shared
    > Files would rest on this Flash Drive and any Computer on the Network
    > will access it from there.
    >
    > I donot need the High Capacity Devices like NAS as the total Size of
    > the Files to be shared is very small (less than 4 GB) and a Flash
    > Drive can easily accomodate them.
    >
    > Please advice me as I am new into these things. I would Prefer D-Link
    > Hardware beacuse my Current Wi-fi Cards (2 nos.) (802.11g model: DWL
    > G520+) are from Dlink.
    >
    > Thanks to all you wonderful people out there.

  4. Re: HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments

    I really like the D-Link DIR-655 Draft N router (backwards
    compatible with all you G wireless, etc.). It has gigabit Ethernet
    which is a plus on the local LAN side. Everyone I've recommended
    this router to seems quite happy.

    Before I had the 655, I used a D-Link DGL-4300. Gigabit ethernet on
    the wired side, but G only on the wireless. I was also happy with
    this device, but once I started getting draft N wireless cards,
    etc., I wanted to move on to the 655.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: HELP Regarding Network Design and Equipments

    Hi
    The problem that I have is this statement that appears in small type in the
    655 Data Sheet.
    Quote: "This product is based on IEEE draft 802.11n specifications and is
    not guaranteed to be
    forward compatible with future versions of IEEE 802.11n specifications.
    Compatibility
    with draft 802.11n devices from other manufacturers is not guaranteed. All