I can't associate to access points that used to work for me - Wireless

This is a discussion on I can't associate to access points that used to work for me - Wireless ; My system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP security. The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get flaky, it would drop frequently a connection to the access ...

  1. I can't associate to access points that used to work for me

    My system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP
    security.

    The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get
    flaky, it would drop frequently a connection to the access point even
    though the signal strength was the same as before. Now, it can "see"
    the AP, same signal strength, seems to try to connect, but the
    connection cannot associate with the access point.

    How do I fix that? It used to work. I didn't install any new hardware
    or software.

  2. Re: I can't associate to access points that used to work for me

    Does that works if you assign static IP?

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "robert casey" wrote in message news:O1Vqi.11896$rR.3646@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    My system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP
    security.

    The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get
    flaky, it would drop frequently a connection to the access point even
    though the signal strength was the same as before. Now, it can "see"
    the AP, same signal strength, seems to try to connect, but the
    connection cannot associate with the access point.

    How do I fix that? It used to work. I didn't install any new hardware
    or software.

  3. Problem solved!

    Turns out the wifi booster amp from Hawking went bad. Seems it passed
    receive signals fine, but it quit transmitting. Took it out of the
    antenna coax line, and now I can connect.

    So there was nothing wrong with the SW or HW inside the computer.

    The booster failing would also explain the flakiness I saw earlier. As
    the amp inside the booster slowly went bad the connectivity would get
    less reliable, until it went dead completely.

  4. Re: Problem solved!

    Thank you for the update.

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "robert casey" wrote in message news:iGzri.14243$zA4.2640@newsread3.news.pas.earth link.net...
    Turns out the wifi booster amp from Hawking went bad. Seems it passed
    receive signals fine, but it quit transmitting. Took it out of the
    antenna coax line, and now I can connect.

    So there was nothing wrong with the SW or HW inside the computer.

    The booster failing would also explain the flakiness I saw earlier. As
    the amp inside the booster slowly went bad the connectivity would get
    less reliable, until it went dead completely.

+ Reply to Thread