My wifi used to work, then got flaky, now never works - Wireless

This is a discussion on My wifi used to work, then got flaky, now never works - Wireless ; I've already visited http://ezlan.net/ but no joy. MY system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP security. The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get flaky, it would ...

  1. My wifi used to work, then got flaky, now never works

    I've already visited http://ezlan.net/ but no joy.

    MY system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP
    security.

    The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get
    flaky, it would drop frequently a connection to the access point even
    though the signal strength was the same as before. Now, it can "see"
    the AP, same signal strength, seems to try to connect, but the
    connection looks to not achieve itself after a brief handshake of sorts.

    I looked at http://ezlan.net/ but even though it looks to be
    comprehensive, no joy. I tried turning off virusscan (MacAfee) but no
    joy. I tried reinstalling the wifi board drivers, no joy. Net Stumbler
    sees all the neighbor's networks just like it did when the wifi worked,
    so the antenna must be okay. As far as I can tell, win2000pro doesn't
    have wireless zero configuration.

    Baffled, any help TIA

  2. Re: My wifi used to work, then got flaky, now never works

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:49:08 GMT, robert casey wrote:

    >I've already visited http://ezlan.net/ but no joy.
    >
    >MY system uses windows 2000 pro, and a Hawking wifi PCI card. No WEP
    >security.
    >
    >The wifi used to work fine. Then a few weeks ago it tended to get
    >flaky, it would drop frequently a connection to the access point even
    >though the signal strength was the same as before. Now, it can "see"
    >the AP, same signal strength, seems to try to connect, but the
    >connection looks to not achieve itself after a brief handshake of sorts.
    >
    >I looked at http://ezlan.net/ but even though it looks to be
    >comprehensive, no joy. I tried turning off virusscan (MacAfee) but no
    >joy. I tried reinstalling the wifi board drivers, no joy. Net Stumbler
    >sees all the neighbor's networks just like it did when the wifi worked,
    >so the antenna must be okay. As far as I can tell, win2000pro doesn't
    >have wireless zero configuration.
    >
    >Baffled, any help TIA

    Does NetStumbler show your SNR, in addition to Signal Level? Is SNR the same?
    You're sure that there are no new neighbours? Maybe some that come and go?

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...this-year.html

    What changes did you make, just before "a few weeks ago"? Have you gotten the
    latest drivers for the Hawking? Maybe firmware for the WiFi router?

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ft-please.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

  3. Problem solved! Hardware issue

    I had an external Hawking wifi booster (preamp and power amp) that went
    bad. It could pass received signals but not transmit my outgoing
    signal. Removed it and now I can connect. So there was nothing wrong
    with any SW or HW inside the PC.

+ Reply to Thread