W2k Wireless Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on W2k Wireless Network - Wireless ; I am trying to add a w2k (sp4) laptop to my wireless network with a Belkin 125mbps usb adapter. All software seemed to install OK and when I plug in the adapter the PC recognises it but when I select ...

  1. W2k Wireless Network

    I am trying to add a w2k (sp4) laptop to my wireless network with a Belkin
    125mbps usb adapter. All software seemed to install OK and when I plug in the
    adapter the PC recognises it but when I select the Belkin wireless Utility
    nothing happens (eggtimer for 3 secs then nothing). Looking in device manager
    the adapter is working properly.

    I cannot see anything on the pc relating to wireless networking. Just the
    usual network and dialup settings.

    Help greatly appreciated as I have been trying this now for a few hours.

    Thanks In Advance

  2. Re: W2k Wireless Network

    Hi
    It seems that something is wrong with the Utility.
    Try Belkin's support, or and, try this utility as well,
    http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html
    This utility works as is you do not have to sign with Boingo in order to use
    it.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Jamie" wrote in message
    >I am trying to add a w2k (sp4) laptop to my wireless network with a Belkin
    > 125mbps usb adapter. All software seemed to install OK and when I plug in
    > the
    > adapter the PC recognises it but when I select the Belkin wireless Utility
    > nothing happens (eggtimer for 3 secs then nothing). Looking in device
    > manager
    > the adapter is working properly.
    >
    > I cannot see anything on the pc relating to wireless networking. Just the
    > usual network and dialup settings.
    >
    > Help greatly appreciated as I have been trying this now for a few hours.
    >
    > Thanks In Advance

  3. Re: W2k Wireless Network

    Thanks Jack,

    Will try your advice. The utility works with Win XP fine though.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > It seems that something is wrong with the Utility.
    > Try Belkin's support, or and, try this utility as well,
    > http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html
    > This utility works as is you do not have to sign with Boingo in order to use
    > it.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Jamie" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to add a w2k (sp4) laptop to my wireless network with a Belkin
    > > 125mbps usb adapter. All software seemed to install OK and when I plug in
    > > the
    > > adapter the PC recognises it but when I select the Belkin wireless Utility
    > > nothing happens (eggtimer for 3 secs then nothing). Looking in device
    > > manager
    > > the adapter is working properly.
    > >
    > > I cannot see anything on the pc relating to wireless networking. Just the
    > > usual network and dialup settings.
    > >
    > > Help greatly appreciated as I have been trying this now for a few hours.
    > >
    > > Thanks In Advance

  4. Re: W2k Wireless Network

    Jack,

    My w2k laptop is now working on wireless but I cannot connect to the
    internet. Do i need to set something manually. I'm not sure but I think the
    LAN connection may be direct to my XP pc.

    I cinnected fine to my wireless network with my authentification code but IE
    does not connect.

    Thanks

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > It seems that something is wrong with the Utility.
    > Try Belkin's support, or and, try this utility as well,
    > http://www.boingo.com/download_windows.html
    > This utility works as is you do not have to sign with Boingo in order to use
    > it.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Jamie" wrote in message
    > >I am trying to add a w2k (sp4) laptop to my wireless network with a Belkin
    > > 125mbps usb adapter. All software seemed to install OK and when I plug in
    > > the
    > > adapter the PC recognises it but when I select the Belkin wireless Utility
    > > nothing happens (eggtimer for 3 secs then nothing). Looking in device
    > > manager
    > > the adapter is working properly.
    > >
    > > I cannot see anything on the pc relating to wireless networking. Just the
    > > usual network and dialup settings.
    > >
    > > Help greatly appreciated as I have been trying this now for a few hours.
    > >
    > > Thanks In Advance

  5. Re: W2k Wireless Network

    Hi
    I do not know what the topology of the network is and where the Internet
    comes from.
    If you have a Wireless Cable/DSL Router and the Laptop can connect to the
    Wireless Router IE would use the same connection as well.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).