limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address - Wireless

This is a discussion on limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address - Wireless ; I am attempting to re-establish a wireless connection. At one time, the desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption. Everything was ...

  1. limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    I am attempting to re-establish a wireless connection. At one time, the
    desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB
    adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption.
    Everything was working great. Then ...

    All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect to
    the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no connectivity",
    or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address" when I
    dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.

    When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    repair, but it does not work.

    The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.

    Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.

    I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  2. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    Power cycle the Linksys box.
    The DHCP service built into them is not that dependable. Sometimes it just
    stops giving out addresses for no particular reason.

    You may want to restart the "problem" PC as well,...in fact shut it
    down,..lesve it off. Power cycle the Linksys box,..when it is ready again,
    power on the PC.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Red Eagle" wrote in message
    >I am attempting to re-establish a wireless connection. At one time, the
    > desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB
    > adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption.
    > Everything was working great. Then ...
    >
    > All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    > strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect to
    > the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no
    > connectivity",
    > or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address"
    > when I
    > dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    >
    > When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    > repair, but it does not work.
    >
    > The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.
    >
    > Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.
    >
    > I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  3. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    Hi
    Sorry, but might be you want to clarift your Post.
    Wired PCs do not use WPA2 or any other Wireless related settings.

    Quote: "limited or no connectivity", or "invalid IP address", or "network
    did not assign a network address" when I
    dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    End of Quote.

    What the above quote means?

    I suggest that you should disbale the security in both the Router and the
    Wireless computer, make sure that you have a Wireless connection, and then
    enable WPA-AES in the Router, and there after in the Cleint usingthe same
    passphrase.
    You need to set first your Wireless Router and generate there a Key, then
    you set the laptop with the same key.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
    WEP128___(Hard, but possible to Brake).
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).

    your Wireless hardware.

    phrase.

    of one of the Wireless devices.

    device with a better one.

    Debuging basic Wireless, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Red Eagle" wrote in message
    >I am attempting to re-establish a wireless connection. At one time, the
    > desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB
    > adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption.
    > Everything was working great. Then ...
    >
    > All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    > strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect to
    > the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no
    > connectivity",
    > or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address"
    > when I
    > dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    >
    > When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    > repair, but it does not work.
    >
    > The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.
    >
    > Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.
    >
    > I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  4. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    Sorry if my post didn't make sense.

    Originally the router was configured to use WPA2, and the problem PC was
    able to connect. When I started having problems, I lowered the encryption
    level to WEP to see if the problem PC could connect. With WEP I was able to
    get the limited connectivity, but then the connection would die, and I would
    get the messages about the invalid IP address, etc.

    Hope this makes sense.

    I will try your suggestions. Thank you for responding.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> [...]
    > > desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB
    > > adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption.
    > > Everything was working great. Then ...
    > >
    > > All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    > > strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect to
    > > the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no
    > > connectivity",
    > > or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address"
    > > when I
    > > dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    > >
    > > When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    > > repair, but it does not work.
    > >
    > > The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.
    > >
    > > Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.
    > >
    > > I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  5. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    Hello, Jack.

    I can only share the internet connection when the router's security is
    disabled. If I set the security level higher and view available networks, I
    get this messagae: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection."

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> [...]
    > > desktop PC in question could connect to the internet via a Dell 1450 USB
    > > adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2 encryption.
    > > Everything was working great. Then ...
    > >
    > > All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    > > strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect to
    > > the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no
    > > connectivity",
    > > or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address"
    > > when I
    > > dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    > >
    > > When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    > > repair, but it does not work.
    > >
    > > The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.
    > >
    > > Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.
    > >
    > > I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  6. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    "Red Eagle" wrote in message
    > Hello, Jack.
    >
    > I can only share the internet connection when the router's security is
    > disabled. If I set the security level higher and view available networks,
    > get this messagae: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection."

    When you enable wireless security on your router, did you also enable the
    same wireless security on your computer?
    If the router setting differs from the one on the computer, they cannot
    connect. And Windows may not be able to configure
    the wireless connection if for no other reason than there is no wireless
    connection.
    Note that it can be difficult to get these security settings to match. It
    took me three tries to get the computer setting correct
    the last time I did this.

    Now, if the computer can't connect to the router, the router cannot supply
    an ip address. Instead the computer may
    assign one in the 169.x.x.x block.
    Jim
> [...]
    >> > USB
    >> > adapter. The wired PC was using a Linksys WRT54G using WPA2
    >> > encryption.
    >> > Everything was working great. Then ...
    >> >
    >> > All of a sudden, the PC with the adapter could not connect. The signal
    >> > strength was either excellent or very good, but I was unable to connect
    >> > the internet and was getting messages such as: "limited or no
    >> > connectivity",
    >> > or "invalid IP address", or "network did not assign a network address"
    >> > when I
    >> > dumbed down the WPA2 encryption to WEP.
    >> >
    >> > When I view available networks, I can see our network. I tried doing a
    >> > repair, but it does not work.
    >> >
    >> > The wired PC is set for automatic DHCP. The SSID is displayed.
    >> >
    >> > Both PCs run WinXP with SP2.
    >> >
    >> > I don't even know where to begin. Can someone please help me?

  7. Re: limited or no connectivity/invalid IP address

    All true.
    But it sounded like this had been working prior,...so everything would have
    already be setup correctly,...but just one day the pc is power up and it
    doesn't receive a config from DHCP.

    Power cycleing the wirless device is a 30 second quickie to test,..if it
    doesn't work than the other things can be checked.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

+ Reply to Thread