Wireless connection problem. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless connection problem. - Wireless ; My brother in law has the following equipment: Packard Bell desktop (iMedia) running MS XP SP2 Zoom X6 (model 5590) ADSL modem/router (connected to desktop) Packard Bell MZ35-V075 laptop running MS Vista Home He has just got broadband (through Tiscali) ...

  1. Wireless connection problem.

    My brother in law has the following equipment:
    Packard Bell desktop (iMedia) running MS XP SP2
    Zoom X6 (model 5590) ADSL modem/router (connected to desktop)
    Packard Bell MZ35-V075 laptop running MS Vista Home

    He has just got broadband (through Tiscali) and we ran the Tiscali set-up CD
    on the desktop and connected the speedtouch 330 USB modem as per the
    instructions. Internet connection was established and we could browse the
    'net OK.

    Then we removed the speedtouch modem and ran the set-up for the Zoom ADSL
    modem/router, connected all wires correctly and can still connect to the
    internet OK. (have set WPA2 security with a passphrase)

    Have tried to connect wirelessly from the laptop - it tells us that the
    connection has been established with a strong signal but can't access the
    internet through IE. Keep getting Error 815. 'The broadband network
    connection could not be established on your computer because the remote
    server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the
    'Service Name' field for this connection. Please contact your ISP and
    inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the
    Connection Properties'.

    We have also been getting an error referring to WAN Miniport PPPoE.

    The Zoom instructions have a section on 'Connecting an XP computer with
    built-in wireless capabilities' but nothing about connecting with a Vista
    computer.

    I'm sure that it must be something simple that is stopping the connection -
    we can get a link established but can't access the 'net!

    What are we missing?

    --
    Thanks in advance.

    Bob S.

  2. RE: Wireless connection problem.

    I'm having the same problem with Vista on my laptop. Connected to the
    wireless network, although can't connect to the internet?

    "Bob Seymour" wrote:

    > My brother in law has the following equipment:
    > Packard Bell desktop (iMedia) running MS XP SP2
    > Zoom X6 (model 5590) ADSL modem/router (connected to desktop)
    > Packard Bell MZ35-V075 laptop running MS Vista Home
    >
    > He has just got broadband (through Tiscali) and we ran the Tiscali set-up CD
    > on the desktop and connected the speedtouch 330 USB modem as per the
    > instructions. Internet connection was established and we could browse the
    > 'net OK.
    >
    > Then we removed the speedtouch modem and ran the set-up for the Zoom ADSL
    > modem/router, connected all wires correctly and can still connect to the
    > internet OK. (have set WPA2 security with a passphrase)
    >
    > Have tried to connect wirelessly from the laptop - it tells us that the
    > connection has been established with a strong signal but can't access the
    > internet through IE. Keep getting Error 815. 'The broadband network
    > connection could not be established on your computer because the remote
    > server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the
    > 'Service Name' field for this connection. Please contact your ISP and
    > inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the
    > Connection Properties'.
    >
    > We have also been getting an error referring to WAN Miniport PPPoE.
    >

    > The Zoom instructions have a section on 'Connecting an XP computer with
    > built-in wireless capabilities' but nothing about connecting with a Vista
    > computer.
    >
    > I'm sure that it must be something simple that is stopping the connection -
    > we can get a link established but can't access the 'net!
    >

    > What are we missing?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob S.

  3. Re: Wireless connection problem.

    Try to disable the IPv6. Does that fix the problem? Or this link may help,

    Vista Internet Access IssuesPost Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:07 am Post subject: Vista Internet access issues ... Vista: Can’t access the Internet because of anti virus softw . ...
    http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaieissues.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    "Bob Seymour" wrote:

    > My brother in law has the following equipment:
    > Packard Bell desktop (iMedia) running MS XP SP2
    > Zoom X6 (model 5590) ADSL modem/router (connected to desktop)
    > Packard Bell MZ35-V075 laptop running MS Vista Home
    >
    > He has just got broadband (through Tiscali) and we ran the Tiscali set-up CD
    > on the desktop and connected the speedtouch 330 USB modem as per the
    > instructions. Internet connection was established and we could browse the
    > 'net OK.
    >
    > Then we removed the speedtouch modem and ran the set-up for the Zoom ADSL
    > modem/router, connected all wires correctly and can still connect to the
    > internet OK. (have set WPA2 security with a passphrase)
    >
    > Have tried to connect wirelessly from the laptop - it tells us that the
    > connection has been established with a strong signal but can't access the
    > internet through IE. Keep getting Error 815. 'The broadband network
    > connection could not be established on your computer because the remote
    > server is not responding. This could be caused by an invalid value for the
    > 'Service Name' field for this connection. Please contact your ISP and
    > inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in the
    > Connection Properties'.
    >
    > We have also been getting an error referring to WAN Miniport PPPoE.
    >

    > The Zoom instructions have a section on 'Connecting an XP computer with
    > built-in wireless capabilities' but nothing about connecting with a Vista
    > computer.
    >
    > I'm sure that it must be something simple that is stopping the connection -
    > we can get a link established but can't access the 'net!
    >

    > What are we missing?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Bob S.