Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter - Wireless

This is a discussion on Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter - Wireless ; Re installing Belkin USB Wireless adapter after installing a new HD. The windows icon is showing a wireless icon without the red cross but when I click on it it's permanently on 'acquiring network address' and I can't connect to ...

  1. Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    Re installing Belkin USB Wireless adapter after installing a new HD. The
    windows icon is showing a wireless icon without the red cross but when I
    click on it it's permanently on 'acquiring network address' and I can't
    connect to the internet. What can I try next?

  2. Re: Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    What is it connecting to? A SOHO wireless "router" (Belkin, Linksys, ect)?
    I have had those types of devices suddenly stop giving out address for no
    reason and had to power cycle them.

    I've also had this happen if my wireless encryption didn't establish
    properly.

    In my case I took a shotgun aproach and reset my "router" to factory
    defaults and then reconfigured it. Then on the PC I deleted the wireless
    network from the list of available networks (I *don't* mean the Nic or the
    driver) and then had the PC re-scan and find them/it again (I *don't* mean
    hardware and PnP),...then reconfigure encryption & reconnect to it. So I
    don't know which actually solved it, but it worked when I was done, and the
    whole process took maybe 20-30 minutes total.

    Sorry, I don't have anything more "solid" than that.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Trevor" wrote in message
    news:3b7d1$469e7df9$50e5af86$23323@news.eurofeeds. com...
    > Re installing Belkin USB Wireless adapter after installing a new HD. The
    > windows icon is showing a wireless icon without the red cross but when I
    > click on it it's permanently on 'acquiring network address' and I can't
    > connect to the internet. What can I try next?

  3. Re: Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > What is it connecting to? A SOHO wireless "router" (Belkin, Linksys,
    > ect)?
    > I have had those types of devices suddenly stop giving out address for no
    > reason and had to power cycle them.
    >
    > I've also had this happen if my wireless encryption didn't establish
    > properly.
    >
    > In my case I took a shotgun aproach and reset my "router" to factory
    > defaults and then reconfigured it. Then on the PC I deleted the wireless
    > network from the list of available networks (I *don't* mean the Nic or the
    > driver) and then had the PC re-scan and find them/it again (I *don't* mean
    > hardware and PnP),...then reconfigure encryption & reconnect to it. So I
    > don't know which actually solved it, but it worked when I was done, and
    > the whole process took maybe 20-30 minutes total.
    >
    > Sorry, I don't have anything more "solid" than that.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft, or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    >
    > "Trevor" wrote in message
    > news:3b7d1$469e7df9$50e5af86$23323@news.eurofeeds. com...
    >> Re installing Belkin USB Wireless adapter after installing a new HD. The
    >> windows icon is showing a wireless icon without the red cross but when I
    >> click on it it's permanently on 'acquiring network address' and I can't
    >> connect to the internet. What can I try next?

    It's connected to a Draytex wireless router 2600Gi. My internet connection
    on this PC is working fine through the router. I'm loathe to adjust the
    router as evry time I've ever done that I've ended up with hours of grief
    trying to get back on line and as I woirk from home on the internet, I can't
    afford to loose work.

  4. Re: Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    "Trevor" wrote in message
    news:a078d$469f6d11$5861aa25$18304@news.eurofeeds. com...
    > It's connected to a Draytex wireless router 2600Gi. My internet connection
    > on this PC is working fine through the router. I'm loathe to adjust the
    > router as evry time I've ever done that I've ended up with hours of grief
    > trying to get back on line and as I work from home on the internet, I
    > can't afford to loose work.

    Then at least fully power cycle the Draytex.
    On the PC remove the wireless "network" from any wireless "manager" that you
    are running and then have the machine scan for it, find it, and give it the
    encryption pass key again to connect to it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  5. Re: Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    > "Trevor" wrote in message
    > news:a078d$469f6d11$5861aa25$18304@news.eurofeeds. com...
    >> It's connected to a Draytex wireless router 2600Gi. My internet
    >> connection on this PC is working fine through the router. I'm loathe to
    >> adjust the router as evry time I've ever done that I've ended up with
    >> hours of grief trying to get back on line and as I work from home on the
    >> internet, I can't afford to loose work.

    > Then at least fully power cycle the Draytex.
    > On the PC remove the wireless "network" from any wireless "manager" that
    > you are running and then have the machine scan for it, find it, and give
    > it the encryption pass key again to connect to it.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft, or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

    Worked a dream after a reboot of the router. Then one reboot of the pC and I
    got no operating system pressed the power off a couple of times and the
    power switch broke!!

    Took the front case off and messed about with the power switch, put it back
    and it powered up, and not only that bnoot the PC booted as well , so don't
    know what all that was about. So all up and running - many thanks for your
    help.

  6. Re: Reinstalling Belkin Wireless Adapter

    "Trevor" wrote in message
    news:db5a4$469fe914$50e5af86$24828@news.eurofeeds. com...
    >> Then at least fully power cycle the Draytex.
    >> On the PC remove the wireless "network" from any wireless "manager" that
    >> you are running and then have the machine scan for it, find it, and give
    >> it the encryption pass key again to connect to it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phillip Windell
    >> www.wandtv.com

    > Worked a dream after a reboot of the router. Then one reboot of the pC and
    > I got no operating system pressed the power off a couple of times and the
    > power switch broke!!
    >
    > Took the front case off and messed about with the power switch, put it
    > back and it powered up, and not only that bnoot the PC booted as well , so
    > don't know what all that was about. So all up and running - many thanks
    > for your help.

    Very good!
    Good luck with it.

    --