Wireless Security - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Security - Wireless ; I have just set up my desktop PC running XP SP2 and laptop running Vista Home Premium edition, as a wireless network. I have used WPA-PSK encryption, perhaps I'm being paranoid but; how can I tell if this is secure ...

  1. Wireless Security

    I have just set up my desktop PC running XP SP2 and laptop running Vista Home
    Premium edition, as a wireless network. I have used WPA-PSK encryption,
    perhaps I'm being paranoid but; how can I tell if this is secure and if
    anyone has ever tried or succeeded to hack into my network?

  2. Re: Wireless Security

    Hi
    If the security is On in the Wireless Router/Access Point, no one without
    you password would be able to connected.
    There reports (yet) of mainstream success in braking WPA.
    Each Router has a screen (part of the menu system that shows when you log on
    to the Router, look at your Router's extended manual) that shows that list
    of logged Clients, you should take occasional look at this list to make sure
    that there is No computers on the list that does not belong to you.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "toymaker" wrote in message
    >I have just set up my desktop PC running XP SP2 and laptop running Vista
    > Premium edition, as a wireless network. I have used WPA-PSK encryption,
    > perhaps I'm being paranoid but; how can I tell if this is secure and if
    > anyone has ever tried or succeeded to hack into my network?

  3. Re: Wireless Security

    This search result may help,

    Wireless Security OptionsWhen setup wireless security, you may have many options. The below lists the wireless from the weakest to the strongest. No Security ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/wirel...ityoptions.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "toymaker" wrote in message news:3B769BE1-556A-4169-BD0F-31F340171593@microsoft.com...
    I have just set up my desktop PC running XP SP2 and laptop running Vista Home
    Premium edition, as a wireless network. I have used WPA-PSK encryption,
    perhaps I'm being paranoid but; how can I tell if this is secure and if
    anyone has ever tried or succeeded to hack into my network?

  4. Re: Wireless Security

    Thanks Jack, thats very helpful.
    Cheers

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If the security is On in the Wireless Router/Access Point, no one without
    > you password would be able to connected.
    > There reports (yet) of mainstream success in braking WPA.
    > Each Router has a screen (part of the menu system that shows when you log on
    > to the Router, look at your Router's extended manual) that shows that list
    > of logged Clients, you should take occasional look at this list to make sure
    > that there is No computers on the list that does not belong to you.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "toymaker" wrote in message
    > >I have just set up my desktop PC running XP SP2 and laptop running Vista
    > > Premium edition, as a wireless network. I have used WPA-PSK encryption,
    > > perhaps I'm being paranoid but; how can I tell if this is secure and if
    > > anyone has ever tried or succeeded to hack into my network?

+ Reply to Thread