Workgroup connectivity - Wireless

This is a discussion on Workgroup connectivity - Wireless ; I have a home network with 3 computers in a workgroup. I am trying to add a 4th computer. The computer logs into the network and I can get to the Internet. It does not recognize the Workgroup. DHCP is ...

  1. Workgroup connectivity

    I have a home network with 3 computers in a workgroup. I am trying to add a
    4th computer. The computer logs into the network and I can get to the
    Internet. It does not recognize the Workgroup. DHCP is enabled and IPCONFIG
    shows the IP address, subnet mask, dns address, gateway address, but I cannot
    ping the ip address. Any suggestions to what I need to do?
    --
    Ernie

  2. Re: Workgroup connectivity

    Hi
    Make sure that the computer is assigned with the same Work Group name.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Ernie" wrote in message
    >I have a home network with 3 computers in a workgroup. I am trying to add
    > 4th computer. The computer logs into the network and I can get to the
    > Internet. It does not recognize the Workgroup. DHCP is enabled and
    > IPCONFIG
    > shows the IP address, subnet mask, dns address, gateway address, but I
    > cannot
    > ping the ip address. Any suggestions to what I need to do?
    > --
    > Ernie

  3. Re: Workgroup connectivity

    Ernie wrote:
    > I have a home network with 3 computers in a workgroup. I am trying to add a
    > 4th computer. The computer logs into the network and I can get to the
    > Internet. It does not recognize the Workgroup. DHCP is enabled and IPCONFIG
    > shows the IP address, subnet mask, dns address, gateway address, but I cannot
    > ping the ip address. Any suggestions to what I need to do?

    configure your firewall(s) correctly

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  4. RE: Workgroup connectivity

    I have made sure the workgroup name is the same and the firewall is
    configured correctly. I have checked to make sure the computer browser
    service is turned on each computer. I have made sure the file and sharing is
    turned on and the hard drive file sharing is turned on. I have added a
    Linksys speed booster to the laptop. I can see the laptop from the other
    computers on the network but when I try to access it I get the following
    message "Computer name is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    use this resource. The network path was not found." Also on the laptop when
    I click on the workgroup name I get a message "Workgroup is not accessible.
    You might not have permission to use the network resources." I have tried
    all the obvious solutions to resolve this issue.
    --
    Ernie

    "Ernie" wrote:

    > I have a home network with 3 computers in a workgroup. I am trying to add a
    > 4th computer. The computer logs into the network and I can get to the
    > Internet. It does not recognize the Workgroup. DHCP is enabled and IPCONFIG
    > shows the IP address, subnet mask, dns address, gateway address, but I cannot
    > ping the ip address. Any suggestions to what I need to do?
    > --
    > Ernie

  5. Re: Workgroup connectivity

    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:44:01 -0700, Ernie
    wrote:

    >I have made sure the workgroup name is the same and the firewall is
    >configured correctly. I have checked to make sure the computer browser
    >service is turned on each computer. I have made sure the file and sharing is
    >turned on and the hard drive file sharing is turned on. I have added a
    >Linksys speed booster to the laptop. I can see the laptop from the other
    >computers on the network but when I try to access it I get the following
    >message "Computer name is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    >use this resource. The network path was not found." Also on the laptop when
    >I click on the workgroup name I get a message "Workgroup is not accessible.
    >You might not have permission to use the network resources." I have tried
    >all the obvious solutions to resolve this issue.

    Ernie,

    The most frequently seen problem here is NetBT, and the personal firewalls.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

    Take a look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
    server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the
    problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
    precisely (download browstat!):

    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT