Can't find free public Wifi points - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't find free public Wifi points - Wireless ; I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi points. When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot find any free public Wifi points at all. Could someone ...

  1. Can't find free public Wifi points

    I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi points.
    When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot find
    any free public Wifi points at all.
    Could someone please help me?

  2. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Hi
    If your Wireless is secure at home (and it should) you would not be able to
    connect to open public wireless unless you disable your personal security.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Toone" wrote in message
    > I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi
    > points.
    > When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot
    > find
    > any free public Wifi points at all.
    > Could someone please help me?

  3. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Sorry, I don't understand. Home is secured by a wep key, is this what you mean?
    How do I disable my personal security?

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > If your Wireless is secure at home (and it should) you would not be able to
    > connect to open public wireless unless you disable your personal security.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Toone" wrote in message
    > > I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi
    > > points.
    > > When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot
    > > find
    > > any free public Wifi points at all.
    > > Could someone please help me?

  4. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Hi
    Yap, Open Sources do not know what your WEP key is (and they do not want to
    know either ).
    Try to disable the WEP when you are using Public Hot Spot. Do not forget to
    enable it again when you done.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Toone" wrote in message
    > Sorry, I don't understand. Home is secured by a wep key, is this what you
    > mean?
    > How do I disable my personal security?
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> If your Wireless is secure at home (and it should) you would not be able
    >> connect to open public wireless unless you disable your personal
    >> security.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Toone" wrote in message
    >> > I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi
    >> > points.
    >> > When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I
    >> > cannot
    >> > find
    >> > any free public Wifi points at all.
    >> > Could someone please help me?

  5. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    I do not understand because every network has is own properties. You can fill
    in bij the network at home that I am using a WEP-key. At an another network
    I'll give at the properties no WEP key. Is this what you mean?
    I thought it is standard to give the properties for each network.

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > Yap, Open Sources do not know what your WEP key is (and they do not want to
    > know either ).
    > Try to disable the WEP when you are using Public Hot Spot. Do not forget to
    > enable it again when you done.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Toone" wrote in message
    > > Sorry, I don't understand. Home is secured by a wep key, is this what you
    > > mean?
    > > How do I disable my personal security?
    > >

    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >> If your Wireless is secure at home (and it should) you would not be able
    > >> connect to open public wireless unless you disable your personal
    > >> security.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >>
    > >> "Toone" wrote in message

  6. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    are you saying that networks do not show up in the list of available
    wireless networks at all or are you saying they show up but you
    cannot connect to them. or do you mean free versus paid?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  7. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    example of my neighbours.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > are you saying that networks do not show up in the list of available
    > wireless networks at all or are you saying they show up but you
    > cannot connect to them. or do you mean free versus paid?
    >
    > On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:14:04 -0700, Toone
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi points.
    > >When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot find
    > >any free public Wifi points at all.
    > >Could someone please help me?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    far you are from them?

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:12:05 -0700, Toone
    wrote:

    >Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    >available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    >example of my neighbours.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> are you saying that networks do not show up in the list of available
    >> wireless networks at all or are you saying they show up but you
    >> cannot connect to them. or do you mean free versus paid?
    >>
    >> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:14:04 -0700, Toone
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've a Sony Vaio laptop and at home I've no trouble finding any Wifi points.
    >> >When I am at the airport or somewhere else in a foreign country I cannot find
    >> >any free public Wifi points at all.
    >> >Could someone please help me?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  9. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    When I am in a foreign country on the airport or in a hotel a collegue of
    mine can see the free public wifi points and I can't while we sit next to
    each other.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    > far you are from them?
    >
    > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:12:05 -0700, Toone
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    > >available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    > >example of my neighbours.
    > >

    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> are you saying that networks do not show up in the list of available
    > >> wireless networks at all or are you saying they show up but you
    > >> cannot connect to them. or do you mean free versus paid?

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  10. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    which windows operating system? what driver? are you using a third
    party utility to manage the wireless or the built in features of
    windows?

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 03:38:02 -0700, Toone
    wrote:

    >When I am in a foreign country on the airport or in a hotel a collegue of
    >mine can see the free public wifi points and I can't while we sit next to
    >each other.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    >> far you are from them?
    >>
    >> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:12:05 -0700, Toone
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    >> >available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    >> >example of my neighbours.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  11. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Toone wrote:
    > When I am in a foreign country on the airport or in a hotel a collegue of
    > mine can see the free public wifi points and I can't while we sit next to
    > each other.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    >> far you are from them?
    >>
    >> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:12:05 -0700, Toone
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    >>> available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    >>> example of my neighbours.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Sony Vaio's often have wireless adapters that can operate using 802.11a,
    802.11b, or 802.11g. Make sure that your wireless adapter isn't set to
    802.11a ONLY or 802.11b ONLY. I would expect that most
    publicly-available wifi hotspots today are 802.11g.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  12. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    what exact wireless adapter is in the Vaio and what are the current
    settings?

    wrote:

    >When I am in a foreign country on the airport or in a hotel a collegue of
    >mine can see the free public wifi points and I can't while we sit next to
    >each other.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    >> far you are from them?
    >>
    >> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:12:05 -0700, Toone
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Yes that's what I mean. The free public wifi points don't show in the list of
    >> >available networks. When I at home I can see all available networks for
    >> >example of my neighbours.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  13. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points

    Sorry, I can't answer right now, because the user is already left to
    Thailand. He will be back over 3 weeks. I will answer then, in the meanwhile
    thanks.

    "Lem" wrote:

    > Toone wrote:
    > > When I am in a foreign country on the airport or in a hotel a collegue of
    > > mine can see the free public wifi points and I can't while we sit next to
    > > each other.
    > >

    > > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> are you sure they are broadcasting the SSID? if yes, do you know how
    > >> far you are from them?

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > Sony Vaio's often have wireless adapters that can operate using 802.11a,
    > 802.11b, or 802.11g. Make sure that your wireless adapter isn't set to
    > 802.11a ONLY or 802.11b ONLY. I would expect that most
    > publicly-available wifi hotspots today are 802.11g.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    > Sorry, I can't answer right now, because the user is already left to Thailand. He will be back over 3 weeks. I will answer then, in the meanwhile thanks.

  14. Re: Can't find free public Wifi points