Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks? - Wireless ; I set up a home network for my desktop and my laptop (Win XP Pro on both, using the XP networking tool). The desktop connects to the router via an ethernet cable, the laptop via wireless. The wireless is a ...

  1. Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    I set up a home network for my desktop and my laptop (Win XP Pro on
    both, using the XP networking tool). The desktop connects to the
    router via an ethernet cable, the laptop via wireless. The wireless is
    a secure WPA2 (aka WPA-PSK ?) connection. I wanted to be able to
    access any file on one computer from the other, so I set both
    computers to "share" their entire C: drives.

    But recently, I was wondering about the security of this. Is this a
    completely dangerous thing to do, leaving my computer wide open? Just
    slightly dangerous--such that someone can only attack the computer if
    they first hack thru the WPA2 security?

    Also, I sometimes connect to a secure network (though it is only
    regular WPA, not WPA2) at my university. Is this any different than
    the situation at my home?

    I would greatly appreciate the advice of someone more expert in this
    area than myself. Thank you!!!

  2. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    Hi
    In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "rik" wrote in message
    news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >I set up a home network for my desktop and my laptop (Win XP Pro on
    > both, using the XP networking tool). The desktop connects to the
    > router via an ethernet cable, the laptop via wireless. The wireless is
    > a secure WPA2 (aka WPA-PSK ?) connection. I wanted to be able to
    > access any file on one computer from the other, so I set both
    > computers to "share" their entire C: drives.
    >
    > But recently, I was wondering about the security of this. Is this a
    > completely dangerous thing to do, leaving my computer wide open? Just
    > slightly dangerous--such that someone can only attack the computer if
    > they first hack thru the WPA2 security?
    >
    > Also, I sometimes connect to a secure network (though it is only
    > regular WPA, not WPA2) at my university. Is this any different than
    > the situation at my home?
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate the advice of someone more expert in this
    > area than myself. Thank you!!!

  3. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    > sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "rik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > >I set up a home network for my desktop and my laptop (Win XP Pro on
    > > both, using the XP networking tool). The desktop connects to the
    > > router via an ethernet cable, the laptop via wireless. The wireless is
    > > a secure WPA2 (aka WPA-PSK ?) connection. I wanted to be able to
    > > access any file on one computer from the other, so I set both
    > > computers to "share" their entire C: drives.

    > > But recently, I was wondering about the security of this. Is this a
    > > completely dangerous thing to do, leaving my computer wide open? Just
    > > slightly dangerous--such that someone can only attack the computer if
    > > they first hack thru the WPA2 security?

    > > Also, I sometimes connect to a secure network (though it is only
    > > regular WPA, not WPA2) at my university. Is this any different than
    > > the situation at my home?

    > > I would greatly appreciate the advice of someone more expert in this
    > > area than myself. Thank you!!!

    Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    know my computer login password or something?

  4. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    "rik" wrote in message
    news:1184275385.486339.222330@n60g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    >> sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "rik" wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >>
    >> >I set up a home network for my desktop and my laptop (Win XP Pro on
    >> > both, using the XP networking tool). The desktop connects to the
    >> > router via an ethernet cable, the laptop via wireless. The wireless is
    >> > a secure WPA2 (aka WPA-PSK ?) connection. I wanted to be able to
    >> > access any file on one computer from the other, so I set both
    >> > computers to "share" their entire C: drives.

    >> > But recently, I was wondering about the security of this. Is this a
    >> > completely dangerous thing to do, leaving my computer wide open? Just
    >> > slightly dangerous--such that someone can only attack the computer if
    >> > they first hack thru the WPA2 security?

    >> > Also, I sometimes connect to a secure network (though it is only
    >> > regular WPA, not WPA2) at my university. Is this any different than
    >> > the situation at my home?

    >> > I would greatly appreciate the advice of someone more expert in this
    >> > area than myself. Thank you!!!

    > Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    > question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    > network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    > other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    > wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    > when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    > know my computer login password or something?

    If you are using guest authentication and if you have not set a password for
    the guest
    account and if you have not renamed the guest account and if you are logged
    on, anybody who wants to can
    map to your shared drive If anybody is logged on to your computer,
    anybody else can also map to the administrative shares.

    I would circumvent all of these possibilities by either not placing
    sensitive data on a Windows PC or by placing such data
    on a removable drive.

    Jim

  5. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    On Jul 12, 4:56 pm, "Jim" wrote:
    > "rik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184275385.486339.222330@n60g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    > >> sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > >> "rik" wrote in message

    > >>news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

    > > Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    > > question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    > > network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    > > other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    > > wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    > > when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    > > know my computer login password or something?

    > If you are using guest authentication and if you have not set a password for
    > the guest
    > account and if you have not renamed the guest account and if you are logged
    > on, anybody who wants to can
    > map to your shared drive If anybody is logged on to your computer,
    > anybody else can also map to the administrative shares.
    >
    > I would circumvent all of these possibilities by either not placing
    > sensitive data on a Windows PC or by placing such data
    > on a removable drive.
    >
    > Jim

    @ Jim:

    Guest authentication on my computer or on the network? The guest
    account on my computer has been deactivated and removed. The
    university network does not allow for open access 'guest' accounts--
    all users must have login passwords.

    "If anybody is logged on to your computer, anybody else can also map
    to the administrative shares."
    Not sure what you mean by that, especially in the context of the
    specific scenario I have described. I am the only person who should be
    logged in into my computer, and I use a strong password. I'm not sure
    what you mean by 'administrative shares'. As i said, the entire hard
    drive is shared. So, I guess I'll ask again: can other users of the
    WPA network be able to map to the hard drive in the scenario described?

  6. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    On Jul 12, 4:56 pm, "Jim" wrote:
    > "rik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184275385.486339.222330@n60g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    > >> sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > >> "rik" wrote in message

    > >>news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

    > > Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    > > question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    > > network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    > > other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    > > wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    > > when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    > > know my computer login password or something?

    > If you are using guest authentication and if you have not set a password for
    > the guest
    > account and if you have not renamed the guest account and if you are logged
    > on, anybody who wants to can
    > map to your shared drive If anybody is logged on to your computer,
    > anybody else can also map to the administrative shares.
    >
    > I would circumvent all of these possibilities by either not placing
    > sensitive data on a Windows PC or by placing such data
    > on a removable drive.
    >
    > Jim

    @ Jim:

    Guest authentication on my computer or on the network? The guest
    account on my computer has been deactivated and removed. The
    university network does not allow for open access 'guest' accounts--
    all users must have login passwords.

    "If anybody is logged on to your computer, anybody else can also map
    to the administrative shares."
    Not sure what you mean by that, especially in the context of the
    specific scenario I have described. I am the only person who should be
    logged in into my computer, and I use a strong password. I'm not sure
    what you mean by 'administrative shares'. As i said, the entire hard
    drive is shared. So, I guess I'll ask again: can other users of the
    WPA network be able to map to the hard drive in the scenario described?

  7. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    On Jul 12, 4:56 pm, "Jim" wrote:
    > "rik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184275385.486339.222330@n60g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    > >> sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > >> "rik" wrote in message

    > >>news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

    > > Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    > > question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    > > network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    > > other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    > > wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    > > when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    > > know my computer login password or something?

    > If you are using guest authentication and if you have not set a password for
    > the guest
    > account and if you have not renamed the guest account and if you are logged
    > on, anybody who wants to can
    > map to your shared drive If anybody is logged on to your computer,
    > anybody else can also map to the administrative shares.
    >
    > I would circumvent all of these possibilities by either not placing
    > sensitive data on a Windows PC or by placing such data
    > on a removable drive.
    >
    > Jim

    @ Jim:

    Guest authentication on my computer or on the network? The guest
    account on my computer has been deactivated and removed. The
    university network does not allow for open access 'guest' accounts--
    all users must have login passwords.

    "If anybody is logged on to your computer, anybody else can also map
    to the administrative shares."
    Not sure what you mean by that, especially in the context of the
    specific scenario I have described. I am the only person who should be
    logged in into my computer, and I use a strong password. I'm not sure
    what you mean by 'administrative shares'. As i said, the entire hard
    drive is shared. So, I guess I'll ask again: can other users of the
    WPA network be able to map to the hard drive in the scenario described?

  8. Re: Sharing entire main hard drive on secure wireless networks?

    On Jul 12, 4:56 pm, "Jim" wrote:
    > "rik" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1184275385.486339.222330@n60g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > On Jul 11, 4:11 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> In theory it is more risk, in reality if some one knows how to brake WPA2
    > >> sharing settings would not be a big hurdle either.
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > >> "rik" wrote in message

    > >>news:1184181107.300899.177160@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

    > > Thanks for the response. But it occurs to me that I should ask the
    > > question on my second point, regarding the university wireless
    > > network, in a different way: do other (legitimate) users (such as
    > > other students or IT network administrators) of the university WPA
    > > wireless network automatically have access to my shared hard drive
    > > when they and I are connected to this network? Or would they need to
    > > know my computer login password or something?

    > If you are using guest authentication and if you have not set a password for
    > the guest
    > account and if you have not renamed the guest account and if you are logged
    > on, anybody who wants to can
    > map to your shared drive If anybody is logged on to your computer,
    > anybody else can also map to the administrative shares.
    >
    > I would circumvent all of these possibilities by either not placing
    > sensitive data on a Windows PC or by placing such data
    > on a removable drive.
    >
    > Jim

    @ Jim:
    Guest authentication on my computer or on the network? The guest
    account on the computer has been deactivated and removed. The
    university network does not allow for open, 'guest', access.

    "if anybody is logged on to your computer, anybody else can also map
    to the admin shares."
    Not sure what you mean by that, especially in the context of the
    specific scenario I've described. I am the only person who should be
    logged in in to my computer, and I use a strong password. I'm not
    positive what 'administrative shares' means. As I said, the entire
    hard drive is shared. So I guess I'll ask again: can other users of
    the WPA network be able to map to the hard drive in the scenario
    described?

+ Reply to Thread