Windows XP and ralink wireless util - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows XP and ralink wireless util - Wireless ; My laptop uses windows xp and uses ralink wireless utility 1.2 to configure and drive the wireless card. I have multiple logins for me (admin) and the kids (non-admin users). If I log in as me (admin) I can connect ...

  1. Windows XP and ralink wireless util

    My laptop uses windows xp and uses ralink wireless utility 1.2 to configure
    and drive the wireless card. I have multiple logins for me (admin) and the
    kids (non-admin users).

    If I log in as me (admin) I can connect and through the ralink util create
    a profile and next time I login it connects automatically using the profile
    I have saved.

    However, if I log on as a non-admin user - although I can start the ralink
    util I am unable to create profiles (the add to profile tab is always
    disabled) or access profiles previously saved as an admin user (ther is no
    profile tab).

    This means each time the kids want to use the laptop they need to go
    through the ralink util select the network and enter the WPA key - this
    just seems wrong.

    Without giving the kids full admin rights - how do I get around this
    problem?

    thanks inadvance

  2. Re: Windows XP and ralink wireless util

    I had the same problem with my laptop. I found that the configuration information for profiles are stored in the windows registry. On my laptop I found the relevant keys under:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{SOME_UNIQUE_ID}\0006

    If you can't find them, just do a registry search for the profile name you set in the RaConfig utility. Start -> Run -> regedit can do this for you.

    The problem is that the default permissions don't allow 'Users' or 'PowerUsers' adequate access to the keys containing your ralink profiles. You can set the correct permissions for them using regedt32.exe as follows:

    1. Click: Start -> Run
    2. Type: regedt32.exe
    3. Browse to the relevant key
    4. Click: Security -> Permissions...
    5. Select appropriate user group (eg Users)
    6. Ensure 'Read' and 'Full Control' are checked
    7. Click OK

  3. Re: Windows XP and ralink wireless util

[...]

+ Reply to Thread