D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs - Wireless

This is a discussion on D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs - Wireless ; Let me start a new thread, since the previous died some time ago. I bought the router mentionned in the subject, and the NICs to go with it, the DWA-547 (PCI) and DWA-645 (Cardbus). This setup was to replace the ...

  1. D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs

    Let me start a new thread, since the previous died some time ago.

    I bought the router mentionned in the subject, and the NICs to go with
    it, the DWA-547 (PCI) and DWA-645 (Cardbus).

    This setup was to replace the DGL-4300 router and 108Mbps cards, but
    alas performance was worse. At short range, the "n" setup works as
    advertised, but as range increases, it becomes unusable, where the old
    setup still gives me an excellent signal.

    Someone suggested the DWA-652 (Xtreeeeeeme N) would be better, so I had
    one come to Finland from the USA, since the item is not available here.

    Trouble is, the performance is identical to that of the DWA-645
    "Rangebooster" distance and walls just kill the signal, although the old
    setup does just fine even across 2 floors.

    Maybe it's a defective unit ? I don't know and I am not sure I want to
    find out

    Lorenzo

  2. Re: D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs

    sorry to hear this one. are you running the US firmware on the
    router?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs

    I can't remember what OS you were using. There are very new drivers
    on Windows Update. Also see
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa652/Drivers/ where there are drivers
    dated last week.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  4. Re: D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs

    Tried both the 1.03 firmware from D-link USA and D-link Finland,
    apparently identical. Tried all drivers I could find, used Windows Zero
    Config and D-link's utility, and all machines are XP pro. I don't know
    how the OS could make a difference ? Tried to tweak a fews settings here
    and there, only to return to default values.

    I even tried the 6dBi directional antennas on clients (DWA-547), with no
    effect on performance. A bit disappointed.

    It seems only you, Barb and myself are using this router... WHERE ARE
    ALL THE OTHER SATISFIED CUSTOMERS ? (just raising my voice a bit, not
    shouting)

    Lorenzo

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > I can't remember what OS you were using. There are very new drivers
    > on Windows Update. Also see
    > ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa652/Drivers/ where there are drivers
    > dated last week.
    >
    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:22:42 +0300, Lorenzo Sandini
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Let me start a new thread, since the previous died some time ago.
    >>
    >> I bought the router mentionned in the subject, and the NICs to go with
    >> it, the DWA-547 (PCI) and DWA-645 (Cardbus).
    >>
    >> This setup was to replace the DGL-4300 router and 108Mbps cards, but
    >> alas performance was worse. At short range, the "n" setup works as
    >> advertised, but as range increases, it becomes unusable, where the old
    >> setup still gives me an excellent signal.
    >>
    >> Someone suggested the DWA-652 (Xtreeeeeeme N) would be better, so I had
    >> one come to Finland from the USA, since the item is not available here.
    >>
    >> Trouble is, the performance is identical to that of the DWA-645
    >> "Rangebooster" distance and walls just kill the signal, although the old
    >> setup does just fine even across 2 floors.
    >>
    >> Maybe it's a defective unit ? I don't know and I am not sure I want to
    >> find out
    >>
    >> Lorenzo

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: D-link DIR-655 and "n" NICs

    Hi
    Wireless is extremely affected by the environment.
    It runs at 2.4GHz which is the same frequency that is used by Microwave
    ovens.
    Electronic signal of this frequency is absorb by water molecules.
    As an example, let say you the exact same settings of Hardware in
    duplicated houses, one in Phoenix Arizona, and the other in Miami Florida.
    The Arizona system would do better because it is much less humid (less humid
    less water molecules' in the air) in Arizona.
    There is No magic Router that covers everything. Increasing wireless range
    is usually done by adding Wireless hardware and creating multi Access Point
    or WDS system.
    The following pages describe few ways to increase Wireless coverage that can
    be easily done by End -Users, may be you can find one that suits your
    environment.
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lorenzo Sandini" wrote in message
    > Let me start a new thread, since the previous died some time ago.
    >
    > I bought the router mentionned in the subject, and the NICs to go with it,
    > the DWA-547 (PCI) and DWA-645 (Cardbus).
    >
    > This setup was to replace the DGL-4300 router and 108Mbps cards, but alas
    > performance was worse. At short range, the "n" setup works as advertised,
    > but as range increases, it becomes unusable, where the old setup still
    > gives me an excellent signal.
    >
    > Someone suggested the DWA-652 (Xtreeeeeeme N) would be better, so I had
    > one come to Finland from the USA, since the item is not available here.
    >
    > Trouble is, the performance is identical to that of the DWA-645
    > "Rangebooster" distance and walls just kill the signal, although the old
    > setup does just fine even across 2 floors.
    >
    > Maybe it's a defective unit ? I don't know and I am not sure I want to
    > find out
    >
    > Lorenzo

+ Reply to Thread