Achieving 54mbps - Wireless

This is a discussion on Achieving 54mbps - Wireless ; I have an Asus wl-138g v2 wireless card on my desktop PC (Vista HP) and an Atheros card on my laptop. I am connecting to my router and wlan through a Linksys WAP54G AP. My laptop reports a 54mbps connection ...

  1. Achieving 54mbps

    I have an Asus wl-138g v2 wireless card on my desktop PC (Vista HP) and an
    Atheros card on my laptop. I am connecting to my router and wlan through a
    Linksys WAP54G AP.
    My laptop reports a 54mbps connection all over the house. However, I always
    get only 11mbps with the Asus card even though the signal strength is
    excellent (88%). I have set the AP to wireless-G only as suggested in other
    posts.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Asus card to work
    at 54mbps?

  2. Re: Achieving 54mbps

    "Mikkel" wrote in message
    >I have an Asus wl-138g v2 wireless card on my desktop PC (Vista HP) and an
    > Atheros card on my laptop. I am connecting to my router and wlan through a
    > Linksys WAP54G AP.
    > My laptop reports a 54mbps connection all over the house. However, I
    > always
    > get only 11mbps with the Asus card even though the signal strength is
    > excellent (88%). I have set the AP to wireless-G only as suggested in
    > other
    > posts.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Asus card to work
    > at 54mbps?

    That speed isn't quite all of the story. Your connection speed also depends
    on system load among many other things.
    Luck is the only way to achieve very close to that, and you may not be lucky
    every day.
    Jim

  3. Re: Achieving 54mbps

    Hi
    The 54Mb/sec. is the rating of the Wireless Cards inner chipset speed, not
    their external functionality.
    The typical 802.11g that is rated 54Mb/sec. yields a Bandwidth (functionally
    speed of file transfer) of about 18-22Mb/sec., that speed is declining when
    you pull away the Wireless computer from the Wireless Router.
    This page describe typical Network Speeds,
    http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
    Signal strength is not the best indicator for Wireless capacity,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
    Try to change channels in the Router and choose the one that performs the
    best.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mikkel" wrote in message
    >I have an Asus wl-138g v2 wireless card on my desktop PC (Vista HP) and an
    > Atheros card on my laptop. I am connecting to my router and wlan through a
    > Linksys WAP54G AP.
    > My laptop reports a 54mbps connection all over the house. However, I
    > always
    > get only 11mbps with the Asus card even though the signal strength is
    > excellent (88%). I have set the AP to wireless-G only as suggested in
    > other
    > posts.
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Asus card to work
    > at 54mbps?

  4. Re: Achieving 54mbps

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:06:02 -0700, Mikkel
    wrote:

    >I have an Asus wl-138g v2 wireless card on my desktop PC (Vista HP) and an
    >Atheros card on my laptop. I am connecting to my router and wlan through a
    >Linksys WAP54G AP.
    >My laptop reports a 54mbps connection all over the house. However, I always
    >get only 11mbps with the Asus card even though the signal strength is
    >excellent (88%). I have set the AP to wireless-G only as suggested in other
    >posts.
    >Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the Asus card to work
    >at 54mbps?

    Mikkel,

    Achieving the maximum speed (which will probably never equal 54M) requires, at
    the minimum, having no neighbours with WiFi, and having the Access Point and the
    WiFi client in the same room, near no microwave ovens, cordless telephones, or
    other interference sources. Barring such extreme circumstances, 54M is highly
    unlikely.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...-ethernet.html

    --
    Cheers,