Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup - Wireless

This is a discussion on Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup - Wireless ; Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware ...

  1. Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
    DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
    written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
    I can still buy them but are they the best today?

  2. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
    they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
    basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
    drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
    wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
    probably go the route of the DNS-G120.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
    setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
    have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
    grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
    I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
    laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
    connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
    > they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
    > basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
    > drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
    > wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
    > probably go the route of the DNS-G120.
    >
    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:40:02 -0700, mrich
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
    > >DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
    > >written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
    > >I can still buy them but are they the best today?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
    equipment before buying all new equipment?

    It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
    speedbooster) --

    As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
    setup with the compact wireless G adapters?

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
    wrote:

    >I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
    >setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
    >have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
    >grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
    >I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
    >laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
    >connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
    >> they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
    >> basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
    >> drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
    >> wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
    >> probably go the route of the DNS-G120.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:40:02 -0700, mrich
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
    >> >DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
    >> >written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
    >> >I can still buy them but are they the best today?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  5. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.

    My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
    433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
    to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
    connection when more then one.

    I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.

    As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
    > equipment before buying all new equipment?
    >
    > It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
    > speedbooster) --
    >
    > As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
    > setup with the compact wireless G adapters?
    >

    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
    > >setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
    > >have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
    > >grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
    > >I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
    > >laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
    > >connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
    > >> they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
    > >> basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
    > >> drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
    > >> wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
    > >> probably go the route of the DNS-G120.

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  6. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
    of what the full model name is?

    Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
    back to it.

    By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
    from Comcast?

    First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
    plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.

    Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
    WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
    With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?

    OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
    one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
    correct?

    You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
    but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
    433, correct?

    On the computer that cannot surf,
    Start menu
    run
    cmd [enter]

    type in the words

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
    and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running

    shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)

    in the open cmd window type in

    ipconfig /release [enter]

    wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in

    ipconfg /renew [enter]

    can you connect now?

    let's see where we get from here..

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
    wrote:

    >I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
    >
    >My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
    >433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
    >to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
    >connection when more then one.
    >
    >I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
    >
    >As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
    >> equipment before buying all new equipment?
    >>
    >> It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
    >> speedbooster) --
    >>
    >> As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
    >> setup with the compact wireless G adapters?
    >>

    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
    >> >setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
    >> >have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
    >> >grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
    >> >I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
    >> >laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
    >> >connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  7. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    Thank you, I have no idea why or what was done but it worked - I have 3
    computers up and surfing.

    The Dell computers are Dimension L433C (I have six of them but only use 2 or
    3).

    The Modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 (I turned theirs in and bought one).

    All your assumption were correct and your final solution worked.

    I really appreciate the time you gave my problem - Thank you

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
    > of what the full model name is?
    >
    > Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
    > back to it.
    >
    > By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
    > from Comcast?
    >
    > First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
    > plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.
    >
    > Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
    > WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
    > With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?
    >
    > OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
    > one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
    > correct?
    >
    > You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
    > but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
    > 433, correct?
    >
    > On the computer that cannot surf,
    > Start menu
    > run
    > cmd [enter]
    >
    > type in the words
    >
    > ipconfig /all [enter]
    >
    > click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
    > and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running
    >
    > shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)
    >
    > in the open cmd window type in
    >
    > ipconfig /release [enter]
    >
    > wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in
    >
    > ipconfg /renew [enter]
    >
    > can you connect now?
    >
    > let's see where we get from here..
    >

    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
    > >
    > >My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
    > >433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
    > >to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
    > >connection when more then one.
    > >
    > >I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
    > >
    > >As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
    > >> equipment before buying all new equipment?
    > >>
    > >> It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
    > >> speedbooster) --
    > >>
    > >> As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
    > >> setup with the compact wireless G adapters?

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    Glad this resolved things.

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:50:01 -0700, mrich
    wrote:

    >Thank you, I have no idea why or what was done but it worked - I have 3
    >computers up and surfing.
    >
    >The Dell computers are Dimension L433C (I have six of them but only use 2 or
    >3).
    >
    >The Modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 (I turned theirs in and bought one).
    >
    >All your assumption were correct and your final solution worked.
    >
    >I really appreciate the time you gave my problem - Thank you
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
    >> of what the full model name is?
    >>
    >> Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
    >> back to it.
    >>
    >> By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
    >> from Comcast?
    >>
    >> First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
    >> plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.
    >>
    >> Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
    >> WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
    >> With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?
    >>
    >> OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
    >> one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
    >> correct?
    >>
    >> You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
    >> but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
    >> 433, correct?
    >>
    >> On the computer that cannot surf,
    >> Start menu
    >> run
    >> cmd [enter]
    >>
    >> type in the words
    >>
    >> ipconfig /all [enter]
    >>
    >> click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
    >> and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running
    >>
    >> shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)
    >>
    >> in the open cmd window type in
    >>
    >> ipconfig /release [enter]
    >>
    >> wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in
    >>
    >> ipconfg /renew [enter]
    >>
    >> can you connect now?
    >>
    >> let's see where we get from here..
    >>

    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
    >> >
    >> >My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
    >> >433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
    >> >to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
    >> >connection when more then one.
    >> >
    >> >I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
    >> >
    >> >As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  9. Re: Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

    --
    Aurelio

    "mrich" wrote:

    > I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
    > setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
    > have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
    > grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
    > I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
    > laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
    > connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
    > > they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
    > > basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
    > > drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
    > > wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
    > > probably go the route of the DNS-G120.
    > >
    > > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:40:02 -0700, mrich
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
    > > >DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
    > > >written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
    > > >I can still buy them but are they the best today?

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist