File and printer sharing - Wireless

This is a discussion on File and printer sharing - Wireless ; Hi Everyone, I have been trying to setup my home network to share files and share a Lexmark All In One printer over the past day (I'm using Windows XP). I am successfully sharing the Internet connection. I set that ...

  1. File and printer sharing

    Hi Everyone,
    I have been trying to setup my home network to share files and share a
    Lexmark All In One printer over the past day (I'm using Windows XP). I am
    successfully sharing the Internet connection. I set that up with no problems
    at the beginning of the year. However, I didn't set up the sharing at the
    time.
    I have a Belkin wireless G router. My cable modem is connected to my router
    and the router is connected to my desktop. I have two laptops that both
    contain wireless cards. I have the same workgroup set up on all the
    computers. The desktop can see the two laptops on the network. The laptops
    can't see each other or the pc.
    I definitely don't claim to be an expert, but I didn't think that it
    wouldn't be this hard! Again, I just want to share the files that are on the
    desktop with the laptops. I also want to be able to print the Lexmark that is
    connected to the desktop from any computer as well.

    Please advise,
    Mario

  2. Re: File and printer sharing

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:11:00 -0700, mxmitchell
    wrote:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >I have been trying to setup my home network to share files and share a
    >Lexmark All In One printer over the past day (I'm using Windows XP). I am
    >successfully sharing the Internet connection. I set that up with no problems
    >at the beginning of the year. However, I didn't set up the sharing at the
    >time.
    >I have a Belkin wireless G router. My cable modem is connected to my router
    >and the router is connected to my desktop. I have two laptops that both
    >contain wireless cards. I have the same workgroup set up on all the
    >computers. The desktop can see the two laptops on the network. The laptops
    >can't see each other or the pc.
    >I definitely don't claim to be an expert, but I didn't think that it
    >wouldn't be this hard! Again, I just want to share the files that are on the
    >desktop with the laptops. I also want to be able to print the Lexmark that is
    >connected to the desktop from any computer as well.
    >
    >Please advise,
    >Mario

    Mario,

    It's not hard, but you do have to do some work.

    The first thing that you want to look for is a consistent NetBT setting on all
    computers, with all personal firewalls properly setup.

    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

    Then look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
    computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
    follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck mvps org.

  3. Re: File and printer sharing

    Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "mxmitchell" wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    > I have been trying to setup my home network to share files and share a
    > Lexmark All In One printer over the past day (I'm using Windows XP). I am
    > successfully sharing the Internet connection. I set that up with no
    > problems
    > at the beginning of the year. However, I didn't set up the sharing at the
    > time.
    > I have a Belkin wireless G router. My cable modem is connected to my
    > router
    > and the router is connected to my desktop. I have two laptops that both
    > contain wireless cards. I have the same workgroup set up on all the
    > computers. The desktop can see the two laptops on the network. The laptops
    > can't see each other or the pc.
    > I definitely don't claim to be an expert, but I didn't think that it
    > wouldn't be this hard! Again, I just want to share the files that are on
    > the
    > desktop with the laptops. I also want to be able to print the Lexmark that
    > is
    > connected to the desktop from any computer as well.
    >
    > Please advise,
    > Mario

+ Reply to Thread