Sharing a printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on Sharing a printer - Wireless ; I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a wireless router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out how to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, ...

  1. Sharing a printer

    I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a wireless
    router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out how
    to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it come
    to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

  2. Re: Sharing a printer

    Hi
    settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of
    each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lisa" wrote in message
    >I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a wireless
    > router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out
    > how
    > to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    > come
    > to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    > printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

  3. Re: Sharing a printer

    Check each computer 1 by 1 & make sure they're all in the same "workgroup".
    Attach the printer to one of the XP comps. Rt click that printer icon in
    printers & Faxes & set to SHARE.
    Now go to each computer Printers & Faxes & install new printer & select
    search.(this method requires that computer to be switched on that the
    printer is attached to)

    For attaching the printer via network method it'll depend on the printer.
    On mine I go into the printer & change the printer to the workgroup & just
    connect it to the switch that the comps connect through. (wireless or wired)
    (this method only requires the printer to be on)

    Of course you can just go to HELP in XP & work your way through the
    wonderful instructions! (or spend half a day browsing those given links!)

    > Hi
    > settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment
    > of each computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > Basic XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...lesharing.mspx
    > Advanced XP -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Lisa" wrote in message
    >>I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a
    >>wireless
    >> router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out
    >> how
    >> to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    >> come
    >> to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    >> printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

  4. More Sharing a printer

    I also have a printer sharing issue but the information referenced here
    doesn't resolve it - it may be that I'm expecting to do something that can't
    be done ...

    I have a small network with several PCs and a mixture of Operating Systems.
    I they are all in the same workgroup and connected physically through an
    8-way switch. One port on the switch connects to an input port on my
    router/firewall/modem thingy (Netgear DG824) to connect to the outside world
    via ADSL, and another port has a wireless access point (Netgear WG602)
    connected to it. My Samsung laser printer also connects to a port on the
    switch. All devices pick up their I/P addresses from the DG824 except for
    the printer which is fixed.

    What I WANT to do (and I can't figure out how) is to be able to access the
    printer from my laptop (which connects to the network wirelessly (!) via the
    WG602) when no other computer on the network is switched on. I kinda
    expected that with the printer connected to the switch the laptop would
    "see" it "directly" but this doesn't seem to be the case.

    I obviously have a rather hazy understanding of how all this stuff works,
    but is it possible to do what I want to do with the equipment I have
    described?

    Grateful for any assistance.

    "Lisa" wrote in message
    >I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a wireless
    > router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out
    > how
    > to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    > come
    > to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    > printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

  5. Re: More Sharing a printer

    Hi
    What is the IP of the printer.
    What is the IP of the Laptop.
    (These are internal IPs so you do not have to fear showinh them).
    In addtion, did you install the Printer's Network driver on the Laptop?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike Faithfull" wrote in message
    >I also have a printer sharing issue but the information referenced here
    >doesn't resolve it - it may be that I'm expecting to do something that
    >can't be done ...
    >
    > I have a small network with several PCs and a mixture of Operating
    > Systems. I they are all in the same workgroup and connected physically
    > through an 8-way switch. One port on the switch connects to an input port
    > on my router/firewall/modem thingy (Netgear DG824) to connect to the
    > outside world via ADSL, and another port has a wireless access point
    > (Netgear WG602) connected to it. My Samsung laser printer also connects
    > to a port on the switch. All devices pick up their I/P addresses from the
    > DG824 except for the printer which is fixed.
    >
    > What I WANT to do (and I can't figure out how) is to be able to access the
    > printer from my laptop (which connects to the network wirelessly (!) via
    > the WG602) when no other computer on the network is switched on. I kinda
    > expected that with the printer connected to the switch the laptop would
    > "see" it "directly" but this doesn't seem to be the case.
    >
    > I obviously have a rather hazy understanding of how all this stuff works,
    > but is it possible to do what I want to do with the equipment I have
    > described?
    >
    > Grateful for any assistance.
    >
    > "Lisa" wrote in message
    >>I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a
    >>wireless
    >> router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out
    >> how
    >> to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    >> come
    >> to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    >> printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

  6. Re: More Sharing a printer

    Mike Faithfull wrote:
    > I also have a printer sharing issue but the information referenced here
    > doesn't resolve it - it may be that I'm expecting to do something that can't
    > be done ...
    >
    > I have a small network with several PCs and a mixture of Operating Systems.
    > I they are all in the same workgroup and connected physically through an
    > 8-way switch. One port on the switch connects to an input port on my
    > router/firewall/modem thingy (Netgear DG824) to connect to the outside world
    > via ADSL, and another port has a wireless access point (Netgear WG602)
    > connected to it. My Samsung laser printer also connects to a port on the
    > switch. All devices pick up their I/P addresses from the DG824 except for
    > the printer which is fixed.
    >
    > What I WANT to do (and I can't figure out how) is to be able to access the
    > printer from my laptop (which connects to the network wirelessly (!) via the
    > WG602) when no other computer on the network is switched on. I kinda
    > expected that with the printer connected to the switch the laptop would
    > "see" it "directly" but this doesn't seem to be the case.
    >
    > I obviously have a rather hazy understanding of how all this stuff works,
    > but is it possible to do what I want to do with the equipment I have
    > described?
    >
    > Grateful for any assistance.
    >
    > "Lisa" wrote in message
    >> I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a wireless
    >> router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure out
    >> how
    >> to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    >> come
    >> to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    >> printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the router.

    Mike,

    If your printer can connect directly to the switch, you aren't "sharing"
    it in the sense used in the previous posts.

    First of all, make sure that the fixed IP address of your printer is on
    the same subnet as the IP addresses assigned by your DG824. In other
    words, each of the devices should have an IP address of 192.168.x.y,
    where x is the same for all. Make sure that the printer also has the
    same x (and a y that is outside the range of addresses assigned by the
    DG824).

    Then, see if the advice on "Printing to a Print Server Device" here
    helps:
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm

    Alternatively, get and read the manual for your Samsung printer. There
    most likely will be advice there on how to connect it to a network --
    and there might even be software that will install the proper port for
    you on the laptop.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  7. Re: More Sharing a printer

    Most decent networkable computers have a built in facility to setup the
    correct IP address etc( that you require). Either from the printers control
    panel or a small program can send the setup data directly from your
    computer. Usually by hooking the printer DIRECT from the Computer.
    Like he said........ read the printer's manual first?

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > Mike Faithfull wrote:
    >> I also have a printer sharing issue but the information referenced here
    >> doesn't resolve it - it may be that I'm expecting to do something that
    >> can't be done ...
    >>
    >> I have a small network with several PCs and a mixture of Operating
    >> Systems. I they are all in the same workgroup and connected physically
    >> through an 8-way switch. One port on the switch connects to an input
    >> port on my router/firewall/modem thingy (Netgear DG824) to connect to the
    >> outside world via ADSL, and another port has a wireless access point
    >> (Netgear WG602) connected to it. My Samsung laser printer also connects
    >> to a port on the switch. All devices pick up their I/P addresses from
    >> the DG824 except for the printer which is fixed.
    >>
    >> What I WANT to do (and I can't figure out how) is to be able to access
    >> the printer from my laptop (which connects to the network wirelessly (!)
    >> via the WG602) when no other computer on the network is switched on. I
    >> kinda expected that with the printer connected to the switch the laptop
    >> would "see" it "directly" but this doesn't seem to be the case.
    >>
    >> I obviously have a rather hazy understanding of how all this stuff works,
    >> but is it possible to do what I want to do with the equipment I have
    >> described?
    >>
    >> Grateful for any assistance.
    >>
    >> "Lisa" wrote in message
    >>> I have 3 computers running XP and 1 Apple computer connecting to a
    >>> wireless
    >>> router. All have internet access, but I've never been able to figure
    >>> out how
    >>> to get them to share a printer. Generally I'm not an idiot, but when it
    >>> come
    >>> to this, I'm clueless. Can anyone help? If it makes any difference, the
    >>> printer I'm trying to share can also be directly connected to the
    >>> router.

    > Mike,
    >
    > If your printer can connect directly to the switch, you aren't "sharing"
    > it in the sense used in the previous posts.
    >
    > First of all, make sure that the fixed IP address of your printer is on
    > the same subnet as the IP addresses assigned by your DG824. In other
    > words, each of the devices should have an IP address of 192.168.x.y, where
    > x is the same for all. Make sure that the printer also has the same x
    > (and a y that is outside the range of addresses assigned by the DG824).
    >
    > Then, see if the advice on "Printing to a Print Server Device" here helps:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm
    >
    > Alternatively, get and read the manual for your Samsung printer. There
    > most likely will be advice there on how to connect it to a network --
    > and there might even be software that will install the proper port for you
    > on the laptop.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  8. Re: More Sharing a printer

    "BruceM" wrote in message
    > Most decent networkable computers have a built in facility to setup the
    > correct IP address etc( that you require). Either from the printers
    > control panel or a small program can send the setup data directly from
    > your computer. Usually by hooking the printer DIRECT from the Computer.
    > Like he said........ read the printer's manual first?

    (other stuff snipped)

    All good stuff - thanks for all replies. Umm .. (blush) .. the RTFM
    suggestion is embarrassingly appropriate, I guess - I can only plead that
    I'm not sure I ever had a printed copy, and I couldn't easily find the
    answer by scrutinising the set up parameters built into the printer or the
    'utility' that installed itself with the driver on my PC. I will creep off
    quietly and research some more. (The answer for Jack is: Printer is
    192.168.0.4 (always) and the laptop (on this occasion) was 192.168.0.3 and I
    could 'ping' every device on the network and get a response, so my
    interpretation was the "mechanical" (!) stuff works, it's the logical setup
    that doesn't. ) The
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Prin...r%20device.htm
    URL looks promising too - no time right now, but will read it in detail
    later this evening.

    Thanks all.

+ Reply to Thread