wireless ad hoc networking using network bridging - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless ad hoc networking using network bridging - Wireless ; after much havoc creating a peer to peer network from my laptop to another laptop to access internet unsuccessfully, i discovered another method to do this - network bridge. what i did is that i created a wireless network connection ...

  1. wireless ad hoc networking using network bridging

    after much havoc creating a peer to peer network from my laptop to another
    laptop to access internet unsuccessfully, i discovered another method to do
    this - network bridge.
    what i did is that i created a wireless network connection on both of my
    laptops - the host (one with the internet conn.), and the client using ad hoc.
    now i bridged the two connections- the wireless one and the 100 mbps lan
    connection (which i used to connect to internet).
    next note down the ip address of the bridged connection (the connection will
    appear on the network conn. folder).
    now the default gateway for the wireless connection on the client should be
    the noted ip address. let the computer itself choose the ip of the client...
    thats it....no need for using ics....(it didnt work fr me beacause i was
    using a proxy server which served only a particular mentioned ip.)

    ne comments/questions wud be appreciated

  2. Re: wireless ad hoc networking using network bridging

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 06:04:01 -0700, audguy
    wrote:

    >after much havoc creating a peer to peer network from my laptop to another
    >laptop to access internet unsuccessfully, i discovered another method to do
    >this - network bridge.
    >what i did is that i created a wireless network connection on both of my
    >laptops - the host (one with the internet conn.), and the client using ad hoc.
    >now i bridged the two connections- the wireless one and the 100 mbps lan
    >connection (which i used to connect to internet).
    >next note down the ip address of the bridged connection (the connection will
    >appear on the network conn. folder).
    >now the default gateway for the wireless connection on the client should be
    >the noted ip address. let the computer itself choose the ip of the client...
    >thats it....no need for using ics....(it didnt work fr me beacause i was
    >using a proxy server which served only a particular mentioned ip.)
    >
    >ne comments/questions wud be appreciated

    If Computer 1 is behind a NAT router, then Computer 2 will accept DHCP settings
    from it (but why can't you connect Computer 2 directly?). If Computer 1 is
    directly connected to the modem, this won't work without you paying for 2 IP
    addresses.

    Make sure that Computer 2 is well protected. ICS is a NAT router, and protects
    the client computers as a NAT router does. Without ICS, you need to protect
    Computer 2 as carefully as you protect Computer 1.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

  3. Re: wireless ad hoc networking using network bridging

    Hi
    When you use more than one computer on a single Internet connection with one
    external IP, you Must Have one Routing System, there is No way to Avoid it.
    Bridging works well if there is already one Router after the Modem,
    otherwise it does Not work.
    You have a choice of Wireless Cable/DSL Router, or software Router in the
    form of ICS, or the Proxy program that I linked to few days ago.
    It is called Proxy (it is just a name thta the programmer gave it), it is
    Routing software similar to ICS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "audguy" wrote in message
    > after much havoc creating a peer to peer network from my laptop to another
    > laptop to access internet unsuccessfully, i discovered another method to
    > do
    > this - network bridge.
    > what i did is that i created a wireless network connection on both of my
    > laptops - the host (one with the internet conn.), and the client using ad
    > hoc.
    > now i bridged the two connections- the wireless one and the 100 mbps lan
    > connection (which i used to connect to internet).
    > next note down the ip address of the bridged connection (the connection
    > will
    > appear on the network conn. folder).
    > now the default gateway for the wireless connection on the client should
    > be
    > the noted ip address. let the computer itself choose the ip of the
    > client...
    > thats it....no need for using ics....(it didnt work fr me beacause i was
    > using a proxy server which served only a particular mentioned ip.)
    >
    > ne comments/questions wud be appreciated

+ Reply to Thread