How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection? - Wireless ; Already running one Desktop linked to a Broadband Service Provider. Would like to connect a laptop to this so we can use it 'wireless' in the house. Am fairly good working with what I've got and muddle through the 'Techi' ...

  1. How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    Already running one Desktop linked to a Broadband Service Provider. Would
    like to connect a laptop to this so we can use it 'wireless' in the house.
    Am fairly good working with what I've got and muddle through the 'Techi'
    bits, but what do I need to do to set this up? Can I use a Wizard to help me
    and if so, do I need to buy something first to enable me to use a wireless
    set-up?
    All help gratefully received! Thank you.

  2. Re: How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    Hi
    To share an Intent connection between few computers you need a Router.
    To have Wireless you need a Wireless source (Wireless Router/Access Point).
    I do not know if you have the hardware and there is No Wizard that can
    replace real knowledge.
    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet and using Wire & Wireless; it is short and to the
    point. Few of the pages were written by me ages ago. You might ignore the
    prices, and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles, they
    are still the same. Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=105 Hubs, routers, switches,
    DSL, LANs, WANs...? - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=48
    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
    Connection Diagram With Cable/DSL Router:
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg Wireless hardware:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html My New Wireless does not work -
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html Wireless - Basic Configuration:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html Wireless - Basic Security:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Carrie" wrote in message
    > Already running one Desktop linked to a Broadband Service Provider. Would
    > like to connect a laptop to this so we can use it 'wireless' in the house.
    > Am fairly good working with what I've got and muddle through the 'Techi'
    > bits, but what do I need to do to set this up? Can I use a Wizard to help
    > me
    > and if so, do I need to buy something first to enable me to use a wireless
    > set-up?
    > All help gratefully received! Thank you.

  3. Re: How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    I'd strongly recommend your purchase a wireless router.
    You really want the protection of a router if you have an always on
    Broadband connection.

    What operating system is on the laptop?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  4. Re: How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    Thanks for your reply, someone else recommends a router too. Am running
    Windows XP so should be straight forward shouldn't it?

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > I'd strongly recommend your purchase a wireless router.
    > You really want the protection of a router if you have an always on
    > Broadband connection.
    >
    > What operating system is on the laptop?
    >
    > On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:53:01 -0700, Carrie
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Already running one Desktop linked to a Broadband Service Provider. Would
    > >like to connect a laptop to this so we can use it 'wireless' in the house.
    > >Am fairly good working with what I've got and muddle through the 'Techi'
    > >bits, but what do I need to do to set this up? Can I use a Wizard to help me
    > >and if so, do I need to buy something first to enable me to use a wireless
    > >set-up?
    > >All help gratefully received! Thank you.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    Yes, it should be. There are lots and lots of choices for routers.
    The cheapest is not necessarily the best. Make sure the router you
    select has support for WPA2 security if at all possible. ( see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
    for some tips that might be useful)

    The D-Lin DGL-4300 router is one that I found to be a really top
    performer in XP (and Vista). See
    http://computers.pricegrabber.com/wi...earch=DGL-4300

    It's on the higher priced side, but it is rock solid. Others may
    have different recommendations. I currently use a D-Link DIR-655
    (draft N) but there is no guarantee of compatibility with the
    upcoming final "N" standard.

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 13:20:02 -0700, Carrie
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply, someone else recommends a router too. Am running
    >Windows XP so should be straight forward shouldn't it?
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> I'd strongly recommend your purchase a wireless router.
    >> You really want the protection of a router if you have an always on
    >> Broadband connection.
    >>
    >> What operating system is on the laptop?
    >>
    >> On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:53:01 -0700, Carrie
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Already running one Desktop linked to a Broadband Service Provider. Would
    >> >like to connect a laptop to this so we can use it 'wireless' in the house.
    >> >Am fairly good working with what I've got and muddle through the 'Techi'
    >> >bits, but what do I need to do to set this up? Can I use a Wizard to help me
    >> >and if so, do I need to buy something first to enable me to use a wireless
    >> >set-up?
    >> >All help gratefully received! Thank you.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  6. Re: How do I go about setting up a wireless laptop connection?

    "Carrie" wrote in message
    > Thanks for your reply, someone else recommends a router too. Am running
    > Windows XP so should be straight forward shouldn't it?

    Yes. Most of them include a CD which supplies a program to make the initial
    setup. Mine is a Linksys WRT54GS.
    There are lots of things to consider in the setup of a router, so take your
    time.

    As the router is installed between the Broadband and all computers, you will
    need to make very minor changes to the
    existing computer. Essentially you enable dhcp and set the router (aka
    gateway) as the dhcp server.
    The easy way to accomplish changes to your current computer is to run the
    Network Setup Wizard. On a computer which
    is already setup for network access, the wizard will echo the current
    settings, and you make no changes until the wizard
    gets to the dhcp setting. Finally, during the execution of the Network
    Setup Wizard, it will prompt you for prepartion of a setup disk.
    Let it create this disk.

    Now go over to the new computer. Install the network setup disk, and execute
    the program that it contains. Doing this saves a lot of
    time and insures that the settings on the computers are consistent.

    But, you aren't done just yet. There should be an adapter icon in the
    system tray. Double click this, be sure that you instruct the wireless
    driver to "let windows manage the connection". All need to do is to select
    the correct wireless connection (which the router software creates) and to
    make certain that the seurity key matches the one the the router uses. It
    took me three tries to get it right. By the way, the Linksys router
    software
    will display this key.

    It took me 10 minutes to do this job, but I have certainly done many more
    than one installation,

    Jim