Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ? - Wireless ; I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so I thought that some people here might be able to help. I ...

  1. Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ?

    I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a good
    distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so I
    thought that some people here might be able to help.

    I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
    times the money.

    1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.

    2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?

    3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

  2. Re: Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ?

    Hi
    As is the WRT54GX4 can not be used as a Repeater. Take a look at the free
    3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) it might enable it to work as a repeater,
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...D-WRT_Docu_(EN)
    The 3com 8760 can work as a Main Wireless source. However you sholud be
    aware that the device is an Access Point.
    I.e you need to connect it to a Router that is connected to the Modem.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "HotRdd" wrote in message
    > I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a
    > good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so
    > I thought that some people here might be able to help.
    >
    > I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
    > times the money.
    >
    > 1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.
    >
    > 2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?
    >
    > 3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

  3. Re: Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ?

    Any recommendations of what models I should look at for a good long distance
    repeater? I'm looking for something that will capture the signle and boost
    it.

    > Hi
    > As is the WRT54GX4 can not be used as a Repeater. Take a look at the free
    > 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) it might enable it to work as a repeater,
    > http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...D-WRT_Docu_(EN)
    > The 3com 8760 can work as a Main Wireless source. However you sholud be
    > aware that the device is an Access Point.
    > I.e you need to connect it to a Router that is connected to the Modem.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "HotRdd" wrote in message
    >> I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a
    >> good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so
    >> I thought that some people here might be able to help.
    >>
    >> I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
    >> times the money.
    >>
    >> 1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.
    >>
    >> 2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?
    >>
    >> 3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

+ Reply to Thread