Standby Exit - Wireless

This is a discussion on Standby Exit - Wireless ; Is there any way to exit Standby on my desktop from another computer attached to my home network? With WinXP on both systems, I use my home network to access my desktop from my laptop for printer and file sharing ...

  1. Standby Exit

    Is there any way to exit Standby on my desktop from another computer
    attached to my home network?

    With WinXP on both systems, I use my home network to access my desktop from
    my laptop for printer and file sharing and wifi network access. The laptop
    connects to my home net wirelessly while my desktop uses a wired connection.
    When the desktop goes on standby, I have to exit standby by mouse movement
    or keyboard action which of course means I have to go to the desktop.

    John Williams

  2. Re: Standby Exit

    Hi
    Almost all computers can be set to get out of standby when there is a
    Network (LAN) activity probing the Network card.
    Fist you have to look at the computerís BIOS and make sure that the power
    setting of the BIOS is checked to sense LAN activity (look at the computerís
    hardware manual).
    Second make sure that the Drivers of the Network card are not set to save
    power (uncheck the power saving in the TCP/IP Properties).
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
    In many laptops their might be additional Propriety power saving utility.
    Make sure that it is not set to shut of the LAN when in standby.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "John Williams" wrote in message
    news:uDX5i.13751$Ut6.2933@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
    > Is there any way to exit Standby on my desktop from another computer
    > attached to my home network?
    >
    > With WinXP on both systems, I use my home network to access my desktop
    > from my laptop for printer and file sharing and wifi network access. The
    > laptop connects to my home net wirelessly while my desktop uses a wired
    > connection. When the desktop goes on standby, I have to exit standby by
    > mouse movement or keyboard action which of course means I have to go to
    > the desktop.
    >
    > John Williams

  3. Re: Standby Exit

    BIOS was off. Works fine now. Thanx, Jack.

    John Williams
    > Hi
    > Almost all computers can be set to get out of standby when there is a
    > Network (LAN) activity probing the Network card.
    > Fist you have to look at the computer's BIOS and make sure that the power
    > setting of the BIOS is checked to sense LAN activity (look at the
    > computer's hardware manual).
    > Second make sure that the Drivers of the Network card are not set to save
    > power (uncheck the power saving in the TCP/IP Properties).
    > http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
    > In many laptops their might be additional Propriety power saving utility.
    > Make sure that it is not set to shut of the LAN when in standby.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "John Williams" wrote in message
    > news:uDX5i.13751$Ut6.2933@newsread1.news.pas.earth link.net...
    >> Is there any way to exit Standby on my desktop from another computer
    >> attached to my home network?
    >>
    >> With WinXP on both systems, I use my home network to access my desktop
    >> from my laptop for printer and file sharing and wifi network access. The
    >> laptop connects to my home net wirelessly while my desktop uses a wired
    >> connection. When the desktop goes on standby, I have to exit standby by
    >> mouse movement or keyboard action which of course means I have to go to
    >> the desktop.
    >>
    >> John Williams

+ Reply to Thread