(P2P) Wireless Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on (P2P) Wireless Network - Wireless ; Can anyone provide me with a SIMPLE tutorial on establishing a wireless network? I've been trying to establish a (P2P) Wireless Connection between my laptop and a friend's laptop and we are both using Windows XP Home Edition. We hope ...

  1. (P2P) Wireless Network

    Can anyone provide me with a SIMPLE tutorial on establishing a wireless
    network?

    I've been trying to establish a (P2P) Wireless Connection between my laptop
    and a friend's laptop and we are both using Windows XP Home Edition. We hope
    to use this connection to transfer/share files, share an internet connection,
    and play over a LAN network.

    Please email me at snaillys@yahoo.com

    Thank you!

  2. RE: (P2P) Wireless Network

    Or an adhoc maybe?

    "Snaillys" wrote:

    > Can anyone provide me with a SIMPLE tutorial on establishing a wireless
    > network?
    >
    > I've been trying to establish a (P2P) Wireless Connection between my laptop
    > and a friend's laptop and we are both using Windows XP Home Edition. We hope
    > to use this connection to transfer/share files, share an internet connection,
    > and play over a LAN network.
    >
    > Please email me at snaillys@yahoo.com
    >
    > Thank you!

  3. Re: (P2P) Wireless Network

    Windows XP only supports WEP over an ad hoc network. It is very
    insecure and you are putting your computers in danger using WEP
    since it can be hacked so easily. The price of wireless routers
    which would give you protection has dropped significantly (except
    for the most recent gear). Places like CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit
    City (in the US) often have wireless routers for $20 after instant
    rebates.

    When I wrote about ad hoc connections 5 years ago, it was much much
    harder to break WEP (
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx
    )

    I strongly urge you to consider a wireless router so that you can
    stay safe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP