Wireless faster and wider if security turned off - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless faster and wider if security turned off - Wireless ; Why does the range of my wireless network and speed of connection both improve dramatically when I turn off security (i.e. make it open)? Without security on, I can access my wireless network one floor about 40 feet away upstairs ...

  1. Wireless faster and wider if security turned off

    Why does the range of my wireless network and speed of connection both
    improve dramatically when I turn off security (i.e. make it open)?
    Without security on, I can access my wireless network one floor about
    40 feet away upstairs and at 54Mb/sec. With security on, I get at best
    patchy reception at 1Mb/sec.

    Does encryption slow down the network?

    I have a Belkin router.

  2. Re: Wireless faster and wider if security turned off

    what router model and hardware rev? do you have the latest firmware
    for this router? there should not be that much of a difference. what
    type of security are you talking about? WEP/WPA/WPA2? what operating
    system? what wireless NIC and what drivers?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Wireless faster and wider if security turned off

    Hi
    If it is an old Router working 802.11b it is a common phenomenon.
    802.11b with WEP decreases significantly the Bandwidth, and thus the
    distance too.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Simon" wrote in message
    news:1179871869.502062.69630@k79g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
    > Why does the range of my wireless network and speed of connection both
    > improve dramatically when I turn off security (i.e. make it open)?
    > Without security on, I can access my wireless network one floor about
    > 40 feet away upstairs and at 54Mb/sec. With security on, I get at best
    > patchy reception at 1Mb/sec.
    >
    > Does encryption slow down the network?
    >
    > I have a Belkin router.

+ Reply to Thread