Disable security - Wireless

This is a discussion on Disable security - Wireless ; Hi I've forgotten my network key and need to hook another computer up to the net. I understand the easiest thing for me to do would be to disable security and reset the password again. How do I disable security? ...

  1. Disable security

    Hi

    I've forgotten my network key and need to hook another computer up to the
    net. I understand the easiest thing for me to do would be to disable
    security and reset the password again. How do I disable security? I have XP.

  2. Re: Disable security

    "Chad" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've forgotten my network key and need to hook another computer up to the
    > net. I understand the easiest thing for me to do would be to disable
    > security and reset the password again. How do I disable security? I have
    > XP.

    Don't disable security...

    Create a new wireless encryption key, etc and add the new PC. I recommend
    using Windows Connect Now (WCN) and saving off the wireless configuration on
    a flash drive. You can then quite easily add new clients. Links here...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

    Remember the new wireless encryption key needs to be changed on your router
    (check your users manual for help with that) and all wireless clients. The
    encryption type (ie. WPA2/WPA) and key need to match on all the clients and
    the router.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: Disable security

    Chad wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've forgotten my network key and need to hook another computer up to the
    > net. I understand the easiest thing for me to do would be to disable
    > security and reset the password again. How do I disable security? I have XP.

    Security of your wifi network is configured on your router.

    To change or disable the encryption key for your wifi network, access
    your router's configuration utility using a computer connected to it
    with an Ethernet cable. If you changed the username for access to the
    router's configuration utility, or set a password for it, you will
    either have to enter that userid/password or reset the router to its
    defaults using the reset button on the back of the router and then use
    the default userid/password.

    Read your router's user manual for details.

    Note that in many routers, the encryption key may actually be available
    in "clear" once you access the appropriate part of the router's
    configuration utility, so that you may, in fact, not have to change it
    (which will save you the effort of re-configuring all of the other
    computers that access your network).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking