Double Connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Double Connection - Wireless ; I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once to my preferred SSID and again ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Double Connection

    I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
    closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
    connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
    communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
    the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
    bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Double Connection

    Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
    to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
    double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
    the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  3. Re: Double Connection

    >> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    >> Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    >> upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    >> to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    >> If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    >> the other connection...

    Change the SSID on the router that you own. Wireless cards get confused
    when they see the same SSID from two routers.

    -Jim

  4. Re: Double Connection

    I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
    only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
    provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
    Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
    selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
    connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
    running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
    Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
    more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
    But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
    (the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
    > to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
    > double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
    > the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?
    >
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:35:00 -0700, Rob
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    > >Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    > >upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    > >to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    > >If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    > >the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
    > >closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
    > >connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
    > >communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
    > >the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
    > >bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?
    > >
    > >Thank you.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Double Connection

    When I first installed the router (I only have one) I personalized the SSID,
    and while running XP or on XP machines currently I have not trouble. But I
    will try changing the SSID. It is only when I connect the remote Vista
    computer wirelessly that there is a problem. When initiating a wireless
    connection it only 'sees' one SSID/source (mine). But once connected to that
    SSID the internet connection fails. A Diagnosis reveals 'multiple'
    connections, and suggests deleting or disabling one of the connections.
    Looking at the connections there are two; one that is my SSID and one that
    says "Unidentifed Network". However if I look at the Properties of the
    unidentified network it is in fact the same SSID/signal. Because there is
    only one source (router/signal/SSID), if I disable either of the
    'connections' that appear it disables/eliminates both of them. When I go to
    reconnect, I see only the SSID (no other connections), so I connect on it and
    it doubles up to two connections. Weird.

    "Jim" wrote:

    > >> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    > >> Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    > >> upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    > >> to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    > >> If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    > >> the other connection...

    > Change the SSID on the router that you own. Wireless cards get confused
    > when they see the same SSID from two routers.
    >
    > -Jim

  6. Re: Double Connection

    go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
    connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
    and reboot. what happens?

    if you have the same issue:

    please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question

    ipconfig /all

    copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
    save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 06:51:01 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

    >I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
    >only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
    >provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
    >Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
    >selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
    >connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
    >running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
    >Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
    >more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
    > But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
    >(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
    >> to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
    >> double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
    >> the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?
    >>
    >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:35:00 -0700, Rob
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    >> >Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    >> >upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    >> >to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    >> >If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    >> >the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
    >> >closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
    >> >connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
    >> >communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
    >> >the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
    >> >bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> >Thank you.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  7. Re: Double Connection

    Okay; tried the remove/delete and reboot - no impact. When I reconnect to
    the wireless it connects twice (internet fails to fire, diagnose says "There
    is more than one active network connection...etc etc", then when I disable
    one they both go down.

    Did the cmd prompt: here are the results:

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    C:\Users\Jake>ipconfig/all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LENOVO-5D6B52C9
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lawrence.ks.us

    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    Adapter wi
    th SpeedBooster
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-29-BF-52
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b1b6:632f:6a0b:57ee%8(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 21, 2007 10:05:20 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:05:20 PM
    192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184555768
    24.124.0.194
    24.124.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.lawrence.ks.us
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%10(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    24.124.0.194
    24.124.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

    Thanks for your help.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
    > connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
    > and reboot. what happens?
    >
    > if you have the same issue:
    >
    > please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question
    >
    > ipconfig /all
    >
    > copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
    > save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here
    >
    > On Sun, 20 May 2007 06:51:01 -0700, Rob
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
    > >only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
    > >provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
    > >Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
    > >selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
    > >connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
    > >running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
    > >Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
    > >more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
    > > But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
    > >(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
    > >> to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
    > >> double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
    > >> the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: Double Connection

    can you describe how you disable the second connection?
    what driver are you using for the wireless? are you using Linksys
    drivers and is there Linksys software still on the machine?

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:31:01 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

> [...]
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
    >> >only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
    >> >provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
    >> >Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
    >> >selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
    >> >connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
    >> >running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
    >> >Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
    >> >more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
    >> > But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
    >> >(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.

  9. Re: Double Connection

    Barb:

    I disable the connection by going to the Network & Sharing Center, and in
    one of the wireless description boxes (below View Status) I hit the
    "Disconnect" button. Both connections shut down.

    I'm not certain how to determine what driver I am using for wireless. I went
    to the Device Manager, Network Adapters, and there are three listed. I
    clicked the Linksys Driver (one of the 3) and looked at the Driver Details.
    It describes it as "Linksys Wireless-G PCI Netware Adapter with
    SpeedBooster". The Driver Provider is Linksys.

    When I look under Programs I see "Linksys Wireless G PCI Network Adapter".
    Below it are two choices, uninstall and Wireless Monitor. If you hit
    Wireless Monitor nothing (apparent) happens.

    Thanks for your continued help.
    Rob

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

> [...]
    > > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    > > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > > Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%10(Preferred)
    > > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    > > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.124.0.193
    > > 24.124.0.194
    > > 24.124.0.1
    > > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    > >
    > >Thanks for your help.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
    > >> connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
    > >> and reboot. what happens?
    > >>
    > >> if you have the same issue:
    > >>
    > >> please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question
    > >>
    > >> ipconfig /all
    > >>
    > >> copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
    > >> save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here

  10. Re: Double Connection

    sounds like an incompatible driver and utility left over from the
    upgrade process. looks like (from a google search anyway) others
    have issues uninstalling the utility. if this is the case, you might
    want to try the Linksys forum on dslreports.com or Linksys reports.
    (or perhaps someone who has experienced the issue of not being able
    to uninstall this driver and software will respond here.)

    On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:33:02 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

> [...]
    >> > 192.168.1.1
    >> > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    >> > DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184555768
    >> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.124.0.193
    >> > 24.124.0.194
    >> > 24.124.0.1
    >> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    >> >
    >> >Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:
    >> >
    >> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
    >> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.lawrence.ks.us
    >> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    >> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    >> > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    >> > Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%10(Preferred)
    >> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    >> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.124.0.193
    >> > 24.124.0.194
    >> > 24.124.0.1
    >> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

  11. Re: Double Connection

    I have been exchanging e-mails with Linksys support for 8 weeks. Thus far
    they have managed only to confirm everything I've told them about the
    problem, plus upgrade the firmware on the router, neither of which has had
    any impact on the problem.

    I did find one post on a website that described my problem, and the solution
    was to disable all drivers except the target one. Am I in the right spot re:
    drivers? If so, I've tried disabling all various combinations (all, some,
    etc.) with no luck.

    But I will search the sites you've suggested.

    Thank you.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > sounds like an incompatible driver and utility left over from the
    > upgrade process. looks like (from a google search anyway) others
    > have issues uninstalling the utility. if this is the case, you might
    > want to try the Linksys forum on dslreports.com or Linksys reports.
    > (or perhaps someone who has experienced the issue of not being able
    > to uninstall this driver and software will respond here.)
    >
    > On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:33:02 -0700, Rob
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Barb:
    > >
    > >I disable the connection by going to the Network & Sharing Center, and in
    > >one of the wireless description boxes (below View Status) I hit the
    > >"Disconnect" button. Both connections shut down.
    > >
    > >I'm not certain how to determine what driver I am using for wireless. I went
    > >to the Device Manager, Network Adapters, and there are three listed. I
    > >clicked the Linksys Driver (one of the 3) and looked at the Driver Details.
    > >It describes it as "Linksys Wireless-G PCI Netware Adapter with
    > >SpeedBooster". The Driver Provider is Linksys.
    > >
    > >When I look under Programs I see "Linksys Wireless G PCI Network Adapter".
    > >Below it are two choices, uninstall and Wireless Monitor. If you hit
    > >Wireless Monitor nothing (apparent) happens.
    > >
    > >Thanks for your continued help.
    > >Rob
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> can you describe how you disable the second connection?
    > >> what driver are you using for the wireless? are you using Linksys
    > >> drivers and is there Linksys software still on the machine?

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  12. Re: Double Connection

    perhaps you could list the drivers you've disabled. it really sounds
    like you need to uninstall the Linksys Wireless Utility that manges
    the wireless and the XP driver and obtain a Vista compatible driver
    and use Vista's native application to manage the wireless. Has
    Linksys walked you through doing that and provided you with a Vista
    driver?

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:55:00 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

    >I have been exchanging e-mails with Linksys support for 8 weeks. Thus far
    >they have managed only to confirm everything I've told them about the
    >problem, plus upgrade the firmware on the router, neither of which has had
    >any impact on the problem.
    >
    >I did find one post on a website that described my problem, and the solution
    >was to disable all drivers except the target one. Am I in the right spot re:
    >drivers? If so, I've tried disabling all various combinations (all, some,
    >etc.) with no luck.
    >
    >But I will search the sites you've suggested.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> sounds like an incompatible driver and utility left over from the
    >> upgrade process. looks like (from a google search anyway) others
    >> have issues uninstalling the utility. if this is the case, you might
    >> want to try the Linksys forum on dslreports.com or Linksys reports.
    >> (or perhaps someone who has experienced the issue of not being able
    >> to uninstall this driver and software will respond here.)
    >>
    >> On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:33:02 -0700, Rob
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Barb:
    >> >
    >> >I disable the connection by going to the Network & Sharing Center, and in
    >> >one of the wireless description boxes (below View Status) I hit the
    >> >"Disconnect" button. Both connections shut down.
    >> >
    >> >I'm not certain how to determine what driver I am using for wireless. I went
    >> >to the Device Manager, Network Adapters, and there are three listed. I
    >> >clicked the Linksys Driver (one of the 3) and looked at the Driver Details.
    >> >It describes it as "Linksys Wireless-G PCI Netware Adapter with
    >> >SpeedBooster". The Driver Provider is Linksys.
    >> >
    >> >When I look under Programs I see "Linksys Wireless G PCI Network Adapter".
    >> >Below it are two choices, uninstall and Wireless Monitor. If you hit
    >> >Wireless Monitor nothing (apparent) happens.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for your continued help.
    >> >Rob

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  13. Re: Double Connection

    I opened the Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. There are 3:
    Broadcom Network (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    Adaptor with SpeedBooster and TVT Packet Filter Miniport. I have disabled
    every combination of some/all/none to no apparent effect.

    Linksys has not made that suggestion, nor ever raised the issue of a driver.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > perhaps you could list the drivers you've disabled. it really sounds
    > like you need to uninstall the Linksys Wireless Utility that manges
    > the wireless and the XP driver and obtain a Vista compatible driver
    > and use Vista's native application to manage the wireless. Has
    > Linksys walked you through doing that and provided you with a Vista
    > driver?
    >
    > On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:55:00 -0700, Rob
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have been exchanging e-mails with Linksys support for 8 weeks. Thus far
    > >they have managed only to confirm everything I've told them about the
    > >problem, plus upgrade the firmware on the router, neither of which has had
    > >any impact on the problem.
    > >
    > >I did find one post on a website that described my problem, and the solution
    > >was to disable all drivers except the target one. Am I in the right spot re:
    > >drivers? If so, I've tried disabling all various combinations (all, some,
    > >etc.) with no luck.
    > >
    > >But I will search the sites you've suggested.
    > >
    > >Thank you.
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> sounds like an incompatible driver and utility left over from the
    > >> upgrade process. looks like (from a google search anyway) others
    > >> have issues uninstalling the utility. if this is the case, you might
    > >> want to try the Linksys forum on dslreports.com or Linksys reports.
    > >> (or perhaps someone who has experienced the issue of not being able
    > >> to uninstall this driver and software will respond here.)

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  14. Re: Double Connection

    If you updated Windows XP it is likely that the old XP drivers and
    Linksys Utility software are the issue. Disabling the Broadcom
    Ethernet driver is you aren't using a wired connection would have no
    impact, etc. And as I previously stated, a Google search turned up
    others having similar issues. You need to unnstall the XP driver and
    Linksys utility and get a Vista compatible driver. You said you had
    problems uninstalling the utility. You should ask Linksys to assist
    you with this problem. Once you get rid of the utility, you may have
    enbough functionality to get a working driver from Windows Update if
    you can use Vista's native features to manage the wireless. If you
    can't get the wireless working, you'd need to unintall the utility,
    connect using a WIRED connection and see if Windows Update has a
    driver forthe wireless.

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 20:10:01 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

    >I opened the Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. There are 3:
    >Broadcom Network (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    >Adaptor with SpeedBooster and TVT Packet Filter Miniport. I have disabled
    >every combination of some/all/none to no apparent effect.
    >
    >Linksys has not made that suggestion, nor ever raised the issue of a driver.
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> perhaps you could list the drivers you've disabled. it really sounds
    >> like you need to uninstall the Linksys Wireless Utility that manges
    >> the wireless and the XP driver and obtain a Vista compatible driver
    >> and use Vista's native application to manage the wireless. Has
    >> Linksys walked you through doing that and provided you with a Vista
    >> driver?
    >>
    >> On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:55:00 -0700, Rob
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have been exchanging e-mails with Linksys support for 8 weeks. Thus far
    >> >they have managed only to confirm everything I've told them about the
    >> >problem, plus upgrade the firmware on the router, neither of which has had
    >> >any impact on the problem.
    >> >
    >> >I did find one post on a website that described my problem, and the solution
    >> >was to disable all drivers except the target one. Am I in the right spot re:
    >> >drivers? If so, I've tried disabling all various combinations (all, some,
    >> >etc.) with no luck.
    >> >
    >> >But I will search the sites you've suggested.
    >> >
    >> >Thank you.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  15. Re: Double Connection

    Hi Rob:

    Did your "Double Connection" get resolved? I seem to have the same problem.
    what i did was delete the route 0.0.0.0 did a ipconfig /renew and then there
    was only one connection and i could connect to the internet

    The issue is that the additional gateway keeps coming back. I am sure this
    has to do with the d**n Tunnel Adaptor.

    The solution on MSKB is not helpfull either -

    Do let me know,
    Thanks

    Shirish

    "Rob" wrote:

    > I opened the Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. There are 3:
    > Broadcom Network (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    > Adaptor with SpeedBooster and TVT Packet Filter Miniport. I have disabled
    > every combination of some/all/none to no apparent effect.
    >
    > Linksys has not made that suggestion, nor ever raised the issue of a driver.
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    > > perhaps you could list the drivers you've disabled. it really sounds
    > > like you need to uninstall the Linksys Wireless Utility that manges
    > > the wireless and the XP driver and obtain a Vista compatible driver
    > > and use Vista's native application to manage the wireless. Has
    > > Linksys walked you through doing that and provided you with a Vista
    > > driver?
    > >
    > > On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:55:00 -0700, Rob
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have been exchanging e-mails with Linksys support for 8 weeks. Thus far
    > > >they have managed only to confirm everything I've told them about the
    > > >problem, plus upgrade the firmware on the router, neither of which has had
    > > >any impact on the problem.
    > > >
    > > >I did find one post on a website that described my problem, and the solution
    > > >was to disable all drivers except the target one. Am I in the right spot re:
    > > >drivers? If so, I've tried disabling all various combinations (all, some,
    > > >etc.) with no luck.
    > > >
    > > >But I will search the sites you've suggested.
    > > >
    > > >Thank you.

    > > --
    > >
    > > Barb Bowman
    > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  16. Re: Double Connection

    Hi Shirish:

    No, my 'double connection' issue was never resolved. I am waiting on new XP
    discs and had intended just to roll back to XP and wait for Vista to be
    improved.

    How exactly do you delete the route 0.0.0.0 and do an ipconfig/renew? I'll
    give it a try.

    Thanks.
    Rob

    "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:

    > Hi Rob:
    >
    > Did your "Double Connection" get resolved? I seem to have the same problem.
    > what i did was delete the route 0.0.0.0 did a ipconfig /renew and then there
    > was only one connection and i could connect to the internet
    >
    > The issue is that the additional gateway keeps coming back. I am sure this
    > has to do with the d**n Tunnel Adaptor.
    >
    > The solution on MSKB is not helpfull either -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0506.mspx
    >
    > Do let me know,
    > Thanks
    >
    > Shirish
    >
    > "Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > I opened the Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. There are 3:
    > > Broadcom Network (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    > > Adaptor with SpeedBooster and TVT Packet Filter Miniport. I have disabled
    > > every combination of some/all/none to no apparent effect.
    > >
    > > Linksys has not made that suggestion, nor ever raised the issue of a driver.
    > >
    > > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > > > perhaps you could list the drivers you've disabled. it really sounds
    > > > like you need to uninstall the Linksys Wireless Utility that manges
    > > > the wireless and the XP driver and obtain a Vista compatible driver
    > > > and use Vista's native application to manage the wireless. Has
    > > > Linksys walked you through doing that and provided you with a Vista
    > > > driver?

    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Barb Bowman
    > > > MS Windows-MVP
    > > > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > > > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  17. Re: Double Connection

    Hi Rob:

    Its not a solution exactly as it is not permanent...

    on the command prompt which you should run as under administrator login type
    the following:

    route delete 0.0.0.0

    and then

    ipconfig /renew

    see if this works... want to make Vista work, rolling back to XP is not a
    solution.. :-(

    Shirish

    "Rob" wrote:

    > Hi Shirish:
    >
    > No, my 'double connection' issue was never resolved. I am waiting on new XP
    > discs and had intended just to roll back to XP and wait for Vista to be
    > improved.
    >
    > How exactly do you delete the route 0.0.0.0 and do an ipconfig/renew? I'll
    > give it a try.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Rob
    >
    > "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Rob:
    > >
    > > Did your "Double Connection" get resolved? I seem to have the same problem.
    > > what i did was delete the route 0.0.0.0 did a ipconfig /renew and then there
    > > was only one connection and i could connect to the internet
    > >
    > > The issue is that the additional gateway keeps coming back. I am sure this
    > > has to do with the d**n Tunnel Adaptor.
    > >
    > > The solution on MSKB is not helpfull either -
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0506.mspx
    > >
    > > Do let me know,
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Shirish
    > >
    > > "Rob" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I opened the Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adaptors. There are 3:
    > > > Broadcom Network (TM) Gigabit Ethernet, Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
    > > > Adaptor with SpeedBooster and TVT Packet Filter Miniport. I have disabled
    > > > every combination of some/all/none to no apparent effect.
    > > >
    > > > Linksys has not made that suggestion, nor ever raised the issue of a driver.

  18. Re: Double Connection

    Shirish:

    When I enter 'route delete 0.0.0.0' it comes back with "The required
    operation requires elevation". Don't know what that means...

    Then I enter the ipconfig/renew, and nothing changes. I tried it with the
    connection connected and with it disconnected. No luck.

    Any suggestions?

    "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:

    > Hi Rob:
    >
    > Its not a solution exactly as it is not permanent...
    >
    > on the command prompt which you should run as under administrator login type
    > the following:
    >
    > route delete 0.0.0.0
    >
    > and then
    >
    > ipconfig /renew
    >
    > see if this works... want to make Vista work, rolling back to XP is not a
    > solution.. :-(
    >
    > Shirish
    >
    > "Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Shirish:
    > >
    > > No, my 'double connection' issue was never resolved. I am waiting on new XP
    > > discs and had intended just to roll back to XP and wait for Vista to be
    > > improved.
    > >
    > > How exactly do you delete the route 0.0.0.0 and do an ipconfig/renew? I'll
    > > give it a try.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Rob
    > >
    > > "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Rob:
    > > >
    > > > Did your "Double Connection" get resolved? I seem to have the same problem.
    > > > what i did was delete the route 0.0.0.0 did a ipconfig /renew and then there
    > > > was only one connection and i could connect to the internet
    > > >
    > > > The issue is that the additional gateway keeps coming back. I am sure this
    > > > has to do with the d**n Tunnel Adaptor.
    > > >
    > > > The solution on MSKB is not helpfull either -
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0506.mspx
    > > >
    > > > Do let me know,
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Shirish

  19. Re: Double Connection

    open the command prompt by right clicking on it in Accessories and
    selecting Run As Administrator.

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:42:04 -0700, Rob
    wrote:

    >Shirish:
    >
    >When I enter 'route delete 0.0.0.0' it comes back with "The required
    >operation requires elevation". Don't know what that means...
    >
    >Then I enter the ipconfig/renew, and nothing changes. I tried it with the
    >connection connected and with it disconnected. No luck.
    >
    >Any suggestions?
    >
    >"Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Rob:
    >>
    >> Its not a solution exactly as it is not permanent...
    >>
    >> on the command prompt which you should run as under administrator login type
    >> the following:
    >>
    >> route delete 0.0.0.0
    >>
    >> and then
    >>
    >> ipconfig /renew
    >>
    >> see if this works... want to make Vista work, rolling back to XP is not a
    >> solution.. :-(
    >>
    >> Shirish
    >>
    >> "Rob" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi Shirish:
    >> >
    >> > No, my 'double connection' issue was never resolved. I am waiting on new XP
    >> > discs and had intended just to roll back to XP and wait for Vista to be
    >> > improved.
    >> >
    >> > How exactly do you delete the route 0.0.0.0 and do an ipconfig/renew? I'll
    >> > give it a try.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > Rob

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  20. Re: Double Connection

    Hi Rob:

    Right click on the command prompt in the applications menu and then select
    "run as administrator"

    and then do the route and ipconfig commands...

    Shirish