Double Connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Double Connection - Wireless ; Shirish: Sorry for the delay; I've been traveling. IT WORKED! After nearly 5 months of frustration, countless false leads, useless recommendations and finger-pointing from Linksys, Microsoft and others, you were able to solve the problem in two easy e-mails. Remarkable. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Double Connection

    Shirish:

    Sorry for the delay; I've been traveling.

    IT WORKED!

    After nearly 5 months of frustration, countless false leads, useless
    recommendations and finger-pointing from Linksys, Microsoft and others, you
    were able to solve the problem in two easy e-mails. Remarkable.

    Is there anything I need to know about his 'fix'?, e.g., you said it wasn't
    permanent?

    Thanks again for your follow up and for your help.

    Rob

    "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:

    > Hi Rob:
    >
    > Right click on the command prompt in the applications menu and then select
    > "run as administrator"
    >
    > and then do the route and ipconfig commands...
    >
    > Shirish
    >
    > "Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > Shirish:
    > >
    > > When I enter 'route delete 0.0.0.0' it comes back with "The required
    > > operation requires elevation". Don't know what that means...
    > >
    > > Then I enter the ipconfig/renew, and nothing changes. I tried it with the
    > > connection connected and with it disconnected. No luck.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Rob:
    > > >
    > > > Its not a solution exactly as it is not permanent...
    > > >
    > > > on the command prompt which you should run as under administrator login type
    > > > the following:
    > > >
    > > > route delete 0.0.0.0
    > > >
    > > > and then
    > > >
    > > > ipconfig /renew
    > > >
    > > > see if this works... want to make Vista work, rolling back to XP is not a
    > > > solution.. :-(
    > > >
    > > > Shirish

  2. Re: Double Connection

    Hi Rob:

    Sorry was travelling too; hence the delay.
    If you have been using the machine, you might have guessed why the solution
    is temporary.

    Or i might have been singularily unlucky... the route 0.0.0.0 gets added
    every time i switch off and restart the broadband router hence i have made
    the two commands that i wrote to you about as a .bat file and keep running
    that when the multiple networks show connected.

    I would really want to take this up with somebody in Microsoft Support... if
    they are bothered... do you know how to do that?

    Regards,
    Shirish

    "Rob" wrote:

    > Shirish:
    >
    > Sorry for the delay; I've been traveling.
    >
    > IT WORKED!
    >
    > After nearly 5 months of frustration, countless false leads, useless
    > recommendations and finger-pointing from Linksys, Microsoft and others, you
    > were able to solve the problem in two easy e-mails. Remarkable.
    >
    > Is there anything I need to know about his 'fix'?, e.g., you said it wasn't
    > permanent?
    >
    > Thanks again for your follow up and for your help.
    >
    > Rob
    >
    > "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Rob:
    > >
    > > Right click on the command prompt in the applications menu and then select
    > > "run as administrator"
    > >
    > > and then do the route and ipconfig commands...
    > >
    > > Shirish
    > >
    > > "Rob" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Shirish:
    > > >
    > > > When I enter 'route delete 0.0.0.0' it comes back with "The required
    > > > operation requires elevation". Don't know what that means...
    > > >
    > > > Then I enter the ipconfig/renew, and nothing changes. I tried it with the
    > > > connection connected and with it disconnected. No luck.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions?

  3. Re: Double Connection

    Shirish:

    The connection has been stable; it may be because I don't routinely shut
    down the router - it stays active.

    As for Microsoft Support, I have no idea. At a minimum those who search for
    problems like "double connection" will likely (hopefully) find this string.
    Otherwise, although it is a problem that I found mentioned in many places,
    both on the Microsoft help pages and elsewhere, no one from Microsoft ever
    acknowledged that it existed; they insisted it was a router issue. Everyone
    else usually identified it as a Vista issue, but you were the only one who
    provided a solution that worked for me.

    Rob

    "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:

    > Hi Rob:
    >
    > Sorry was travelling too; hence the delay.
    > If you have been using the machine, you might have guessed why the solution
    > is temporary.
    >
    > Or i might have been singularily unlucky... the route 0.0.0.0 gets added
    > every time i switch off and restart the broadband router hence i have made
    > the two commands that i wrote to you about as a .bat file and keep running
    > that when the multiple networks show connected.
    >
    > I would really want to take this up with somebody in Microsoft Support... if
    > they are bothered... do you know how to do that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Shirish
    >

    > "Rob" wrote:
    >
    > > Shirish:
    > >
    > > Sorry for the delay; I've been traveling.
    > >
    > > IT WORKED!
    > >
    > > After nearly 5 months of frustration, countless false leads, useless
    > > recommendations and finger-pointing from Linksys, Microsoft and others, you
    > > were able to solve the problem in two easy e-mails. Remarkable.
    > >
    > > Is there anything I need to know about his 'fix'?, e.g., you said it wasn't
    > > permanent?
    > >
    > > Thanks again for your follow up and for your help.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >
    > > "Shirish Wadivkar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Rob:
    > > >
    > > > Right click on the command prompt in the applications menu and then select
    > > > "run as administrator"
    > > >
    > > > and then do the route and ipconfig commands...
    > > >
    > > > Shirish

  4. Double Connection JO

    You saved my sanity.
    I had the exact same problem and TONS of wasted time as well. Tech guys at computer store looked at me like I was crazy and suggested router issues as well. My hint: make sure you are "double connected" first before entering the two command prompts.

    This solution works. Thank you.

    Jon

    I'm thinking this is a result of "upgrading" from XP to Vista via the CD that was sent to me which I regret sooooooo many times over!! I think it was a double connection as a result of that due to two different Internet Protocols that were default placed on computer (one for XP and left there along with the "upgrade version").

    From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb878057.aspx

    Microsoft® Windows Vista includes an implementation of Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) that, unlike Windows® XP, is installed and enabled by default.

  5. RE: Double Connection

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "Rob" wrote:

    > I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    > Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    > upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    > to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    > If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    > the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
    > closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
    > connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
    > communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
    > the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
    > bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thank you.

  6. Re: Double Connection

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
    > to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
    > double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
    > the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?
    >
    > On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:35:00 -0700, Rob
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    > >Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    > >upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    > >to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    > >If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    > >the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
    > >closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
    > >connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
    > >communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
    > >the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
    > >bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions?
    > >
    > >Thank you.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  7. Re: Double Connection

    "Jim" wrote:

    > >> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
    > >> Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
    > >> upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
    > >> to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
    > >> If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
    > >> the other connection...

    > Change the SSID on the router that you own. Wireless cards get confused
    > when they see the same SSID from two routers.
    >
    > -Jim

  8. Re: Double Connection