Wireless networking question - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless networking question - Wireless ; Hey everybody, I have never hooked up a wireless network before and I am running into a problem. Laptops are hooking up fine; however, I have a PC and have gotten a wireless PCI card from SMC. My problem is, ...

  1. Wireless networking question

    Hey everybody,

    I have never hooked up a wireless network before and I am running into
    a problem. Laptops are hooking up fine; however, I have a PC and have
    gotten a wireless PCI card from SMC. My problem is, in the
    instructions that come with it it says that I may need my original,
    licenced Windows CD in order to install the wireless card. I no
    longer have this CD. Is there any way around this? Or, are there any
    wireless cards for PCs that do not have this requirement? Thanks.

    Kent

  2. Re: Wireless networking question

    Hi
    Installation of network components on Win98 usuaually requires the CD.
    No need for it in WinXP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "kent" wrote in message
    news:1178648483.964573.66960@h2g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hey everybody,
    >
    > I have never hooked up a wireless network before and I am running into
    > a problem. Laptops are hooking up fine; however, I have a PC and have
    > gotten a wireless PCI card from SMC. My problem is, in the
    > instructions that come with it it says that I may need my original,
    > licenced Windows CD in order to install the wireless card. I no
    > longer have this CD. Is there any way around this? Or, are there any
    > wireless cards for PCs that do not have this requirement? Thanks.
    >
    > Kent

  3. Re: Wireless networking question

    Try to find a suitable win98 CD. It must be exactly same
    version ("gold" or SR2) and same language version as your system.
    No serial number is needed
    But better get a decent new laptop and cut the trouble... seriously.
    --PA

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > Hi
    > Installation of network components on Win98 usuaually requires the CD.
    > No need for it in WinXP.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "kent" wrote in message
    > news:1178648483.964573.66960@h2g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...
    > > Hey everybody,
    > >
    > > I have never hooked up a wireless network before and I am running into
    > > a problem. Laptops are hooking up fine; however, I have a PC and have
    > > gotten a wireless PCI card from SMC. My problem is, in the
    > > instructions that come with it it says that I may need my original,
    > > licenced Windows CD in order to install the wireless card. I no
    > > longer have this CD. Is there any way around this? Or, are there any
    > > wireless cards for PCs that do not have this requirement? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Kent

+ Reply to Thread