somewhat different kind of network question - Wireless

This is a discussion on somewhat different kind of network question - Wireless ; Can I wireless network two machines, without a router? I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a router? On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 ...

  1. somewhat different kind of network question

    Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?

    I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    router?

    On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    speed connections.

    Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    using wireless NICs?

    Thanks.

    John

  2. RE: somewhat different kind of network question

    You do not need a router. Once the network is set up, your kid's pc would
    connect to your ssid. Then they could use a remote connection to your pc and
    access the internet. If you have set up a wired network, setting up a wifi
    shouldn't be a problem.

    Paul Shafer, MCDST

    "John" wrote:

    > Can I wireless network two machines, without a router?
    >
    > I have done it with wired connections, using crossover cables. Can
    > wireless NICs communicate with each other, or do they require a
    > router?
    >
    > On top of just curiosity, my Windows 2000 PC in my home office has
    > broadband access, and my kid's machine elsewhere in the house, runs XP
    > and connects via a modem. If I could give them broadband through my
    > machine's network card, using wireless from their's to mine, then I
    > would have the added benefit of controlling when they can use the high
    > speed connections.
    >
    > Anyway, all that aside, can their PC talk to mine, via wireless, just
    > using wireless NICs?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John

+ Reply to Thread