Limiting Access Points that a Client Can Connect to - Wireless

This is a discussion on Limiting Access Points that a Client Can Connect to - Wireless ; Is there any practical way to limit which access points that a Windows XP machine can connect to? I would like to ensure that my children are always connected to my access point and not one of the many neighbors. ...

  1. Limiting Access Points that a Client Can Connect to

    Is there any practical way to limit which access points that a Windows
    XP machine can connect to? I would like to ensure that my children
    are always connected to my access point and not one of the many
    neighbors. I know that there is an option in the Windows XP wireless
    config to only connect to preferred access points, but it would be
    quite easy to bypass by unchecking or just adding the desired AP to
    the preferred list. Another way is for the user to change to not use
    the integrated XP wireless management and use the one supplied by the
    Wireless device's manufacturer.

    I think I can eliminate the second possibility by uninstalling (as
    Admin) the vendor's tool and selecting the Windows client. The other
    methods I'm not sure of. Does anyone know any registry hacks that
    will disable non-admins from being able to modify the wireless
    settings once I set them? I've searched high and low and I'm not
    finding many search references to this type of requirement outside of
    corporate environments where there are apparently Group Policy
    settings that take care of this type of need.

    The idea here is that my network has a content filtering proxy which
    keeps the kids from finding bad stuff unintentionally, but not all my
    PCs are hardwired to the network and with the pervasiveness of
    wireless these days it is hard to keep them from mistakenly (or
    intentionally) attaching to the neighbor's network and bypassing my
    proxy.

  2. Re: Limiting Access Points that a Client Can Connect to

    wrote in message
    news:1178431959.123483.114920@y5g2000hsa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Is there any practical way to limit which access points that a Windows
    > XP machine can connect to? I would like to ensure that my children
    > are always connected to my access point and not one of the many
    > neighbors. I know that there is an option in the Windows XP wireless
    > config to only connect to preferred access points, but it would be
    > quite easy to bypass by unchecking or just adding the desired AP to
    > the preferred list. Another way is for the user to change to not use
    > the integrated XP wireless management and use the one supplied by the
    > Wireless device's manufacturer.
    >
    > I think I can eliminate the second possibility by uninstalling (as
    > Admin) the vendor's tool and selecting the Windows client. The other
    > methods I'm not sure of. Does anyone know any registry hacks that
    > will disable non-admins from being able to modify the wireless
    > settings once I set them? I've searched high and low and I'm not
    > finding many search references to this type of requirement outside of
    > corporate environments where there are apparently Group Policy
    > settings that take care of this type of need.
    >
    > The idea here is that my network has a content filtering proxy which
    > keeps the kids from finding bad stuff unintentionally, but not all my
    > PCs are hardwired to the network and with the pervasiveness of
    > wireless these days it is hard to keep them from mistakenly (or
    > intentionally) attaching to the neighbor's network and bypassing my
    > proxy.

    You may be interested in these threads from the DSL Reports forums on this
    issue...

    Personally I think some sort of parental control software that controls when
    someone can logon the PC and if they can access the internet is a good
    solution for this type of issue. Some ISPs provide that free for their
    customers...

    FWIW department, Vista has parental control software built-in to the OS so
    if you upgrade in the future keep that in mind...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. RE: Limiting Access Points that a Client Can Connect to

    Hi,
    If your wireless card is Centrino, then Intel PROSet software can
    restrict the APs for you. Just specify the "mandatory AP" in the profile.

    Another way is to use encryption or secure association, and prohibit
    the wireless card from connecting in open/unsecure mode.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "guy100@jackman5.com" wrote:
    > Is there any practical way to limit which access points that a Windows
    > XP machine can connect to? I would like to ensure that my children
    > are always connected to my access point and not one of the many
    > neighbors. I know that there is an option in the Windows XP wireless
    > config to only connect to preferred access points, but it would be
    > quite easy to bypass by unchecking or just adding the desired AP to
    > the preferred list. Another way is for the user to change to not use
    > the integrated XP wireless management and use the one supplied by the
    > Wireless device's manufacturer.
    >
    > I think I can eliminate the second possibility by uninstalling (as
    > Admin) the vendor's tool and selecting the Windows client. The other
    > methods I'm not sure of. Does anyone know any registry hacks that
    > will disable non-admins from being able to modify the wireless
    > settings once I set them? I've searched high and low and I'm not
    > finding many search references to this type of requirement outside of
    > corporate environments where there are apparently Group Policy
    > settings that take care of this type of need.
    >
    > The idea here is that my network has a content filtering proxy which
    > keeps the kids from finding bad stuff unintentionally, but not all my
    > PCs are hardwired to the network and with the pervasiveness of
    > wireless these days it is hard to keep them from mistakenly (or
    > intentionally) attaching to the neighbor's network and bypassing my
    > proxy.

+ Reply to Thread