Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP? - Wireless ; My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception in my home ...

  1. Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    lower).

    So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    point only? How do I go about doing that?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    "Spare" wrote in message
    news:1178385021.006798.233890@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    > My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    > it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    > is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    > in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    > lower).
    >
    > So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    > point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

    1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same range
    as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses 192.168.1.X
    then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar. Make sure the
    IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link DHCP server.
    3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    straight cable.

    You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I use
    has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin pages.
    I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  3. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    news8184593-ED7C-4DF6-85DA-7D9DD3781821@microsoft.com...
    > "Spare" wrote in message
    > news:1178385021.006798.233890@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    >> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    >> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    >> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    >> lower).
    >>
    >> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    >> point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
    >
    > 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    > 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    > range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    > 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    > Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    > DHCP server.
    > 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    > straight cable.
    >
    > You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    > use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    > pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

    http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74...8230-4_man.pdf

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  4. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    Hi
    Just a Cable remark.
    If the ports on either one of the Routers is MDX, then a Straight cable
    would work, Otherwise LAN to LAN port needs Crossover cable.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    news8184593-ED7C-4DF6-85DA-7D9DD3781821@microsoft.com...
    > "Spare" wrote in message
    > news:1178385021.006798.233890@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    >> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    >> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    >> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    >> lower).
    >>
    >> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    >> point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
    >
    > 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    > 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    > range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    > 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    > Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    > DHCP server.
    > 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    > straight cable.
    >
    > You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    > use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    > pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

  5. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > news8184593-ED7C-4DF6-85DA-7D9DD3781821@microsoft.com...
    >> "Spare" wrote in message
    >> news:1178385021.006798.233890@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...
    >>> My Belkin Pre-N router covered every nook and cranny in my house, but
    >>> it was recently replaced my new ISP installed a new D-Link router that
    >>> is required (for viop and TV service), which doesn't provide reception
    >>> in my home office (on the opposite side of the house and one level
    >>> lower).
    >>>
    >>> So can I just add my Belkin Pre-N router to my network as an access
    >>> point only? How do I go about doing that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...
    >>
    >> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    >> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    >> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    >> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    >> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    >> DHCP server.
    >> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    >> straight cable.
    >>
    >> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    >> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    >> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>
    >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    > If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    > download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...
    >
    > http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74...8230-4_man.pdf
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > rights...

    One last thing...

    You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
    Belkin. What model D-Link is it?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

  6. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    On May 5, 12:55 pm, "Sooner Al [MVP]"
    wrote:
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in messagenews:81B7AE31-DDC4-4FA1-96C0-5F585D83B850@microsoft.com...
    >

    > > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message
    > >news8184593-ED7C-4DF6-85DA-7D9DD3781821@microsoft.com...
    > >> "Spare" wrote in message
    > >>news:1178385021.006798.233890@h2g2000hsg.googlegro ups.com...

    > >> Yes you can... In general terms you want to...

    > >> 1. Disable the DHCP server in the Belkin Pre-N device.
    > >> 2. Change the Belkin Pre-N devices LAN IP address to an IP in the same
    > >> range as the new D-Link, ie. for example if the D-Link router LAN uses
    > >> 192.168.1.X then change the Belkin to 192.168.1.10 or something similar.
    > >> Make sure the IP is not in the range of the IPs assigned by the D-Link
    > >> DHCP server.
    > >> 3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port using a 10BaseT Ethernet
    > >> straight cable.

    > >> You might check the Belkin Pre-N devices manual. The Belkin F5D7230-4 I
    > >> use has a AP mode configuration area once you logon to the routers admin
    > >> pages. I have never played with mine so as always YMMV...

    > >> --

    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > >> mutual benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> rights...

    > > If your router is the F5D8230-4 look at page 54 in the manual that you can
    > > download from Belkin if you don't have a copy on CD...

    > >http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/P74...8230-4_man.pdf

    > > --

    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    > > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...

    > One last thing...
    >
    > You should turn off the D-Link WiFi radio so as not to interfere with the
    > Belkin. What model D-Link is it?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > mutual benefit of all of us...
    > The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > rights...- Hide quoted text -

    This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
    understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
    allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
    helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
    today, and I will let you know how this goes.

  7. Re: Wireless is weak.. Can/SHould I add a WAP?

    "Spare" wrote in message
    news:1178392681.713796.90840@y80g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...

    > This is a D-Link DI-624 that came with my Verizon Fios, but I
    > understand that the firmware was customized a bit, so no flashing
    > allowed. My Belkin is indeed the F5D8230-4. Thanks a ton for
    > helping me understand this, I will attempt to configure this later
    > today, and I will let you know how this goes.

    There is no flashing required. Just figure out how to turn off the D-Link
    WiFi radio so it will not interfere with the Belkin. Check the users
    manual...

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...