my wireless networking challenge - Wireless

This is a discussion on my wireless networking challenge - Wireless ; Here is my challenge..I have a Desktop (xp pro) and a Notebook (Vista home premium) both connected wirelessly to a netgear router. They can both access the internet. Ideally I want to access the Desktop from the Notebook, at least ...

  1. my wireless networking challenge

    Here is my challenge..I have a Desktop (xp pro) and a Notebook (Vista
    home premium) both connected wirelessly to a netgear router. They can
    both access the internet. Ideally I want to access the Desktop from
    the Notebook, at least i want to be able to view and copy files. But
    ideally I would like to remotely take control of the desktop.

    Q.1 how best to do this?
    Q2 .If the desktop is joined to another network domain server which it
    is sometimes (via ethernet cable) ...does change things or make the
    above more difficult?

    thanks any assistance is much appreciated.

  2. Re: my wireless networking challenge

    Hi
    You are actually asking three independent questions.
    1. To be able to use the Notebook in variety of Situation see this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#fewtcp-ip
    2. To Control your Desktop from Remoter see this,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
    3. To Share Files when the two computers are connected to your Home Wireless
    Router, this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html As well as specific adjustment of each
    computer according to what it is allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "zambacan" wrote in message
    news:1178237531.470596.265740@n76g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Here is my challenge..I have a Desktop (xp pro) and a Notebook (Vista
    > home premium) both connected wirelessly to a netgear router. They can
    > both access the internet. Ideally I want to access the Desktop from
    > the Notebook, at least i want to be able to view and copy files. But
    > ideally I would like to remotely take control of the desktop.
    >
    > Q.1 how best to do this?
    > Q2 .If the desktop is joined to another network domain server which it
    > is sometimes (via ethernet cable) ...does change things or make the
    > above more difficult?
    >
    > thanks any assistance is much appreciated.

  3. Re: my wireless networking challenge

    You can access the desktop remotely using remote desktop. These how to may help,
    How to enable Remote Desktop remotely
    How to setup Remote Desktop Connection. How to install Remote Desktop Web Connection How to use Remote Desktop Web Connection. Related Topics . ...
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/Remot...enablerdc1.htm -

    remote desktop
    This file contains the setup for the Terminal Client Software (Remote Desktop Connection, or MSTSC.exe) for Windows 9x/2000 computers. ....
    http://www.howtonetworking.com/rdesktop.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "zambacan" wrote in message news:1178237531.470596.265740@n76g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    Here is my challenge..I have a Desktop (xp pro) and a Notebook (Vista
    home premium) both connected wirelessly to a netgear router. They can
    both access the internet. Ideally I want to access the Desktop from
    the Notebook, at least i want to be able to view and copy files. But
    ideally I would like to remotely take control of the desktop.

    Q.1 how best to do this?
    Q2 .If the desktop is joined to another network domain server which it
    is sometimes (via ethernet cable) ...does change things or make the
    above more difficult?

    thanks any assistance is much appreciated.

  4. Re: my wireless networking challenge

    "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
    > You can access the desktop remotely using remote desktop. These how to may help,
    > How to enable Remote Desktop remotely
    > How to setup Remote Desktop Connection. How to install Remote Desktop Web Connection · How to use Remote Desktop Web Connection. Related Topics . ...
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/Remot...enablerdc1.htm -
    >
    > remote desktop
    > This file contains the setup for the Terminal Client Software (Remote Desktop Connection, or MSTSC.exe) for Windows 9x/2000 computers. ....
    > http://www.howtonetworking.com/rdesktop.htm

    Please note that the OP has Vista - and the RDP client for Vista is not same
    as for win2k...
    there also are some issues connecting the new client and old server (XP)

    Regards,
    --PA

    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

    > "zambacan" wrote in message news:1178237531.470596.265740@n76g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Here is my challenge..I have a Desktop (xp pro) and a Notebook (Vista
    > home premium) both connected wirelessly to a netgear router. They can
    > both access the internet. Ideally I want to access the Desktop from
    > the Notebook, at least i want to be able to view and copy files. But
    > ideally I would like to remotely take control of the desktop.
    >
    > Q.1 how best to do this?
    > Q2 .If the desktop is joined to another network domain server which it
    > is sometimes (via ethernet cable) ...does change things or make the
    > above more difficult?
    >
    > thanks any assistance is much appreciated

+ Reply to Thread