Not Acquiring an IP - Wireless

This is a discussion on Not Acquiring an IP - Wireless ; I often need to get internet access when visiting clients. Sometimes I get a message telling me I am connected to the network but my laptop then fails to acquire an IP address. Is there a setting on my laptop ...

  1. Not Acquiring an IP

    I often need to get internet access when visiting clients. Sometimes I get
    a message telling me I am connected to the network but my laptop then fails
    to acquire an IP address. Is there a setting on my laptop that could be
    causing this?

    Running XP Pro SP2 + Norton Internet Security 2006

    Jeff

  2. Re: Not Acquiring an IP

    Jeff Granger wrote:
    > I often need to get internet access when visiting clients. Sometimes I get
    > a message telling me I am connected to the network but my laptop then fails
    > to acquire an IP address. Is there a setting on my laptop that could be
    > causing this?
    >
    > Running XP Pro SP2 + Norton Internet Security 2006
    >
    > Jeff

    You need to speak with the IT support or Network Admin of those clients.
    Your laptop most likely is set to the usual default of obtaining an IP
    address automatically. The networks where you don't get an IP either
    expect client computers to have pre-set static IP addresses or require
    authentication before assigning an IP (more likely).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  3. RE: Not Acquiring an IP

    I have the same problem. XP Home. I have been using the free wifi sites for
    two years. Recently, 2 months, I began getting the same msg. The really odd
    thing is that I still can access some connections but not all.

    "Jeff Granger" wrote:

    > I often need to get internet access when visiting clients. Sometimes I get
    > a message telling me I am connected to the network but my laptop then fails
    > to acquire an IP address. Is there a setting on my laptop that could be
    > causing this?
    >
    > Running XP Pro SP2 + Norton Internet Security 2006
    >
    > Jeff

  4. Re: Not Acquiring an IP

    I read the post by Lem. But the the sites I want to access don't have network
    administrators. These are sites that I have accessed with no problem until
    recently.