Repeater/Access point - Wireless

This is a discussion on Repeater/Access point - Wireless ; Hello I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home Hub for better coverage.# I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's configuration. Do I choose Repeater or ...

  1. Repeater/Access point

    Hello
    I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home Hub
    for better coverage.#
    I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    difference?
    thanks

  2. RE: Repeater/Access point

    "ML" wrote:

    > Hello
    > I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home Hub
    > for better coverage.#
    > I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    > configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    > difference?
    > thanks

  3. RE: Repeater/Access point

    hello
    sorry cant help with your question, but i was wondering if you could answer
    mine.My wireless route is showing up on my laptop as being unsecure and its
    name has chenged. I am trying to alter this on my main computer, but I dont
    know how to get into the web browser of the wirless router so that i can get
    to the access point. Any ideas ???

    thx
    shamz

  4. Re: Repeater/Access point

    Hi
    I have No idea what BT Home Hub means as regards to Wireless.
    In order to decide which mode is best suitable you have to describe your
    settings in more detailed technical terms.
    Mean time these pages can help.
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ML" wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home Hub
    > for better coverage.#
    > I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    > configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    > difference?
    > thanks

  5. Re: Repeater/Access point

    shamz wrote:
    > hello
    > sorry cant help with your question, but i was wondering if you could answer
    > mine.My wireless route is showing up on my laptop as being unsecure and its
    > name has chenged. I am trying to alter this on my main computer, but I dont
    > know how to get into the web browser of the wirless router so that i can get
    > to the access point. Any ideas ???
    >
    > thx
    > shamz

    Please don't piggyback on someone else's posting. Start a new thread
    with a descriptive subject.

    For help in asking questions, see
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    and

    As for your particular inquiry, see the second FAQ, first item under
    "How To Interpret Answers"
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  6. Re: Repeater/Access point

    Yeah sorry.
    Homehub is a wireless Router/DSL.
    That's all set up fine. It's the Access Point I'm not sure of. The only
    thing I could find on Ezlan (great site) regarding AP is
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html but I was trying to get a simpler
    explanation . As Mode 1 Gateway and Mode 4 Repeater sound like they do the
    same.

    > Hi
    > I have No idea what BT Home Hub means as regards to Wireless.
    > In order to decide which mode is best suitable you have to describe your
    > settings in more detailed technical terms.
    > Mean time these pages can help.
    > Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    > Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    > Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    > Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "ML" wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home
    >> Hub for better coverage.#
    >> I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    >> configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    >> difference?
    >> thanks

  7. Re: Repeater/Access point

    ML wrote:
    > Hello
    > I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home Hub
    > for better coverage.#
    > I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    > configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    > difference?
    > thanks

    How do you want to connect your D-Link 2000? That is, do you want the
    D-Link

    (a) to pick up the wireless signal from your BT HomeHub and repeat it so
    that a wifi client that's beyond the range of the BT HomeHub can
    connect, or

    (b) to be connected to the BT HomeHub via an Ethernet cable, so it can
    be located beyond the wireless range of the BT HomeHub but still provide
    access to wifi clients?

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  8. Re: Repeater/Access point

    Well I thought originally (b) but really not that you mention it either way.

    "Lem" wrote in message
    > ML wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home
    >> Hub for better coverage.#
    >> I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    >> configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    >> difference?
    >> thanks

    > How do you want to connect your D-Link 2000? That is, do you want the
    > D-Link
    >
    > (a) to pick up the wireless signal from your BT HomeHub and repeat it so
    > that a wifi client that's beyond the range of the BT HomeHub can connect,
    > or
    >
    > (b) to be connected to the BT HomeHub via an Ethernet cable, so it can be
    > located beyond the wireless range of the BT HomeHub but still provide
    > access to wifi clients?
    >
    > --
    > Lem MS MVP -- Networking

  9. Re: Repeater/Access point

    ML wrote:
    > Well I thought originally (b) but really not that you mention it either way.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> ML wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> I want to configure my Access Point - Dlink 2000 to use with a BT home
    >>> Hub for better coverage.#
    >>> I was a bit confused with the settings when going into the AP's
    >>> configuration. Do I choose Repeater or Access point and what is the
    >>> difference?
    >>> thanks
    >>> J

    >> How do you want to connect your D-Link 2000? That is, do you want the
    >> D-Link
    >>
    >> (a) to pick up the wireless signal from your BT HomeHub and repeat it so
    >> that a wifi client that's beyond the range of the BT HomeHub can connect,
    >> or
    >>
    >> (b) to be connected to the BT HomeHub via an Ethernet cable, so it can be
    >> located beyond the wireless range of the BT HomeHub but still provide
    >> access to wifi clients?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lem MS MVP -- Networking
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 64 Kbits of RAM and 512 Kbits of ROM.

    As I attempted to imply from the way I wrote the questions, (a) is a
    "repeater" and (b) is an "access point." One consideration is that
    repeaters generally cut the throughput in half. For more info see