Optional antennas and 802.11n draft routers - Wireless

This is a discussion on Optional antennas and 802.11n draft routers - Wireless ; Hello, I previously used a D-Link DGL-4300 router, to which I had attached a semi-directional DWL-M60AT antenna, with good results across the house, even on different floors, much to my surprise. That router accepted only one antenna unfortunately. The antennas ...

  1. Optional antennas and 802.11n draft routers

    Hello,

    I previously used a D-Link DGL-4300 router, to which I had attached a
    semi-directional DWL-M60AT antenna, with good results across the house,
    even on different floors, much to my surprise. That router accepted only
    one antenna unfortunately.

    The antennas on the D-Link DIR-655 can be removed, and anything with a
    SMA connector can be attached. Although D-Link claims this router has
    "better coverage", the signal was just invisible downstairs with the
    default 3 tiny white antennas, so I replaced two with DWL-M60AT spare
    antennas, and the middle one with a 5dB omnidirectonal from an SMC
    wireless NIC, and the coverage is now good everywhere.

    Is there anything special to verify before attaching an antenna to this
    router, or will any 802.11b/g antenna be compatible ?

    Lorenzo

  2. Re: Optional antennas and 802.11n draft routers

    Hi
    If you get better results then use it, electronically (impedance wise) it
    would not harm the Wireless output.
    In theory part of the advantages of the 802.11n is the product special
    Antenna arrangement. I guess on some devices a good 5dbi antenna can
    compensate for a mediocre 2dbi MIMO.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Lorenzo Sandini" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I previously used a D-Link DGL-4300 router, to which I had attached a
    > semi-directional DWL-M60AT antenna, with good results across the house,
    > even on different floors, much to my surprise. That router accepted only
    > one antenna unfortunately.
    >
    > The antennas on the D-Link DIR-655 can be removed, and anything with a SMA
    > connector can be attached. Although D-Link claims this router has "better
    > coverage", the signal was just invisible downstairs with the default 3
    > tiny white antennas, so I replaced two with DWL-M60AT spare antennas, and
    > the middle one with a 5dB omnidirectonal from an SMC wireless NIC, and the
    > coverage is now good everywhere.
    >
    > Is there anything special to verify before attaching an antenna to this
    > router, or will any 802.11b/g antenna be compatible ?
    >
    > Lorenzo

+ Reply to Thread