HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks - Wireless

This is a discussion on HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks - Wireless ; Ok, this is going to be a little different I'm sure, but I do wireless networking support for a popular ISP, and I'm running into a recurring issue that I'd like to be able to solve myself. It only occurs ...

  1. HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks

    Ok, this is going to be a little different I'm sure, but I do wireless
    networking support for a popular ISP, and I'm running into a recurring issue
    that I'd like to be able to solve myself.

    It only occurs with HP laptops running Vista. We go to "Connect to..." and
    select wireless to be shown, and half the time, we get "Windows cannot see
    any networks." Now normally to me this would indicate that either the
    wireless switch is off, or there is a 3rd party program in charge of the
    wireless network. Keep in mind that i have no visual confirmation that the
    wireless switch is enabled, but I keep getting assured that it is, and still
    we receive "Windows cannot...". Now, HP has a program on their laptops called
    the HP Network Assistant, which they've been kind enough to provide zero
    screenshots or publicly available documentation for, and I'm wondering if
    this could be throwing a monkey wrench into my plans.

    Any support would be appreciated.

  2. Re: HP laptops w/ vista unable to see networks

    Hi
    I do not have Vista info readly, but the priciple is similar to WinXP.
    If the Wireless card is On, and configured correctly with the drivers, you
    would see it in the Device Manger. http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
    You can get the program mentioned here (it works with Vista
    http://www.ezlan.net/infestation#process ), and "Kill" temporally the
    processes that relate to the HP Network Assistant.
    More about debugging wireless here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "DowntownDaleBrown" wrote in
    message news:308ACEF6-82B9-41B7-A9BC-C3689F7BB1F7@microsoft.com...
    > Ok, this is going to be a little different I'm sure, but I do wireless
    > networking support for a popular ISP, and I'm running into a recurring
    > issue
    > that I'd like to be able to solve myself.
    >
    > It only occurs with HP laptops running Vista. We go to "Connect to..." and
    > select wireless to be shown, and half the time, we get "Windows cannot see
    > any networks." Now normally to me this would indicate that either the
    > wireless switch is off, or there is a 3rd party program in charge of the
    > wireless network. Keep in mind that i have no visual confirmation that the
    > wireless switch is enabled, but I keep getting assured that it is, and
    > still
    > we receive "Windows cannot...". Now, HP has a program on their laptops
    > called
    > the HP Network Assistant, which they've been kind enough to provide zero
    > screenshots or publicly available documentation for, and I'm wondering if
    > this could be throwing a monkey wrench into my plans.
    >
    > Any support would be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread