Continuous TCP/IP error messages - Wireless

This is a discussion on Continuous TCP/IP error messages - Wireless ; Our pc has recently started to get locked up by what appear in the system log as continuous strings of attempts to connect (to the router?). If I am lucky enough to have process explorer open at the time I ...

  1. Continuous TCP/IP error messages

    Our pc has recently started to get locked up by what appear in the system
    log as continuous strings of attempts to connect (to the router?). If I am
    lucky enough to have process explorer open at the time I can kill IE and the
    network adapter (v slowly!), otherwise the plug has to be pulled.

    Last night I thought I had better do a check with PandaActiveScan on line.
    When it finally got to the end of the scan - 'no viruses' - some 2hr later,
    the processor was locked up again, but I was lucky enough to be able to shut
    off IE and the adaptor without having to pull the plug.

    The error log showed a continuous chain of TCP/IP events for the whole time
    the pc had been on line doing this scan. These were all of the 'semaphore
    time out' type.

    Interestingly, today, though there have been no lock ups so far, there have
    been two warnings in the error log to say that the 'TCP/IP has reached the
    security limit on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect
    attempts'.

    Now, I had been looking for just such a 'limit the number of attempts
    setting', to try and stop the seize ups: why has the limit only now been
    imposed, and what does all this signify for our system? Is it likely to be
    a router/wireless problem, or is it an undetected virus or other hijack of
    some sort? (I have had some recent HiJackthis scans looked at at AumHa, but
    nothing untoward seemed to show up in the reports.)

    Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

    (We are using a D-Link DWL -G550+ adaptor, and a Buffalo WHR-G54S-1 cable
    router. XP Pro system.)

    Cheers,

  2. Re: Continuous TCP/IP error messages

    Hi
    Can you use the Network locally without IE?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "spamlet" wrote in message
    > Our pc has recently started to get locked up by what appear in the system
    > log as continuous strings of attempts to connect (to the router?). If I
    > am
    > lucky enough to have process explorer open at the time I can kill IE and
    > the
    > network adapter (v slowly!), otherwise the plug has to be pulled.
    >
    > Last night I thought I had better do a check with PandaActiveScan on line.
    > When it finally got to the end of the scan - 'no viruses' - some 2hr
    > later,
    > the processor was locked up again, but I was lucky enough to be able to
    > shut
    > off IE and the adaptor without having to pull the plug.
    >
    > The error log showed a continuous chain of TCP/IP events for the whole
    > time
    > the pc had been on line doing this scan. These were all of the 'semaphore
    > time out' type.
    >
    > Interestingly, today, though there have been no lock ups so far, there
    > have
    > been two warnings in the error log to say that the 'TCP/IP has reached the
    > security limit on the number of concurrent (incomplete) TCP connect
    > attempts'.
    >
    > Now, I had been looking for just such a 'limit the number of attempts
    > setting', to try and stop the seize ups: why has the limit only now been
    > imposed, and what does all this signify for our system? Is it likely to
    > be
    > a router/wireless problem, or is it an undetected virus or other hijack of
    > some sort? (I have had some recent HiJackthis scans looked at at AumHa,
    > but
    > nothing untoward seemed to show up in the reports.)
    >
    > Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
    >
    > (We are using a D-Link DWL -G550+ adaptor, and a Buffalo WHR-G54S-1 cable
    > router. XP Pro system.)
    >
    > Cheers,

  3. Re: Continuous TCP/IP error messages

    Thanks Jack,

    As I have no way of forcing the lock up TCP/IP event chains, this is
    difficult to say, but I have just tried with Firefox as the default (screws
    up all my links!) and note that the initial start up chain of events is the
    same for this as it was for IE - ie with the same initial 'semaphore time
    out' event before going on to establish the connection.

    This latest development comes after problems with IE taking a long time to
    open, that I have been being helped out with at AumHa here:
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=251...c5478b484e281f

    It may be that attempts to get to the bottom of the earlier problem have
    caused the pc to pick up a new bug in the process - or this may have been
    what has been causing the hold ups all along, with me only just beginning to
    pick up the details.

    The new message about exceeding the security limit of attempts is a new one
    to me though, and I am baffled as to why, if this was a measure put into SP2
    some time ago, it has not been triggered before - even when there has been
    two hours of continuous TCP/IP events.

    I am rather vague when it comes to ports and protocols, but as it does
    appear that the 'security limit' feature was added to prevent take over by
    diallers, and that the chain of events experienced during the PandaScan did
    rather look like what one might expect from such a take over (though how
    this 'dial up' would work through cable broadband I don't know).

    I did browse a bit on the subject of the new error message and found various
    threads of people with similar problems. One of them from last summer did
    seem to indicate that pc's could be exploited through certain ports in ways
    that were not detected by the antispyware progs. One seemed even to be
    using MS own 'genuine advantage' feature to get in. Might we have picked up
    something like this?

    Regards,