Wireless problems - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless problems - Wireless ; Hi, I connected my modem to a linksys router, and one of its net-port to a desktop with a patch cable. I have my laptop downstairs, for some reason the signal quality changes from excellent to poor, then it deconnects. ...

  1. Wireless problems

    Hi,

    I connected my modem to a linksys router, and one of its net-port to a
    desktop with a patch cable.
    I have my laptop downstairs, for some reason the signal quality changes from
    excellent to poor, then it deconnects.
    The weirdest is, when this happens I can see other wireless networks in the
    area, from some of my neighborhoods, but my network (again, it's just
    upstairs!)
    Even when it's "excellent" the connection looks slow compared to what it
    should be.
    Both desktop and laptop are in DHCP mode.

    Thanks for help

  2. RE: Wireless problems

    Important question: Do you have any 2.4Ghz phones in the area? These are
    operating on the same frequency as your router and will interfere with your
    signal. Even when you are seeing an "excellent" signal, a lot of this could
    be surrounding "noise" as opposed to signal. The ideal would be switching to
    a 5.8 or 900mhz phone, but even putting some distance between phone and
    router will make a difference.

    Another thing to keep in mind if you have other networks in the area is that
    the default channel for routers seems to be 6. Changing your network to
    channels 1 or 11 will be able to bypass any interference from these other
    networks.

    "Corrado 'Junior' Soprano" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I connected my modem to a linksys router, and one of its net-port to a
    > desktop with a patch cable.
    > I have my laptop downstairs, for some reason the signal quality changes from
    > excellent to poor, then it deconnects.
    > The weirdest is, when this happens I can see other wireless networks in the
    > area, from some of my neighborhoods, but my network (again, it's just
    > upstairs!)
    > Even when it's "excellent" the connection looks slow compared to what it
    > should be.
    > Both desktop and laptop are in DHCP mode.
    >
    > Thanks for help

+ Reply to Thread