Help! Need to share a dial up connection on an ad hoc wireless net - Wireless

This is a discussion on Help! Need to share a dial up connection on an ad hoc wireless net - Wireless ; I am trying to set up an ad hoc wireless network to share a dial up internet connection but am having trouble getting the internet sharing happening. I thought this would be a fairly painless thing to do - obviously ...

  1. Help! Need to share a dial up connection on an ad hoc wireless net

    I am trying to set up an ad hoc wireless network to share a dial up internet
    connection but am having trouble getting the internet sharing happening. I
    thought this would be a fairly painless thing to do - obviously not!

    I am using two computers:

    1 - a desktop with a dial up modem and a wireless network card running on
    Windows XP Home that connects to the internet via a dialup modem. This
    computer also has Zone Alarm Security Suite (version 7) installed and uses
    the ZA firewall.

    2 - a notebook with a wireless network card running Windows Vista Business.

    I want the laptop to be able to connect wirelessly to the desktop and share
    the dial up internet connection (once that is working will then want to share
    printers).

    Both computers have wireless network cards.

    I have managed to set up the wireless network and it seems to be working OK
    but the internet connection sharing isn't working.

    The desktop still connects to the internet and works properly.

    The laptop sees the desk top system but it shows that the internet is not
    connected to the desktop (even though it is).

    I have tried a number of different IP config and DNS settings (both
    automatic and manually assigned) on both network cards but seem to be chasing
    my tail.

    Can anyone offer me some assistance to get this up and running?

  2. Re: Help! Need to share a dial up connection on an ad hoc wireless net

    Hi
    First setup the Ad-Hoc and make sure that it is working. I.e you can
    actually communicate between the two computer. Then set up Windows ICS to
    Route, and share the Internet.
    See few options here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "blackshadow" wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up an ad hoc wireless network to share a dial up
    >internet
    > connection but am having trouble getting the internet sharing happening. I
    > thought this would be a fairly painless thing to do - obviously not!
    >
    > I am using two computers:
    >
    > 1 - a desktop with a dial up modem and a wireless network card running on
    > Windows XP Home that connects to the internet via a dialup modem. This
    > computer also has Zone Alarm Security Suite (version 7) installed and uses
    > the ZA firewall.
    >
    > 2 - a notebook with a wireless network card running Windows Vista
    > Business.
    >
    > I want the laptop to be able to connect wirelessly to the desktop and
    > share
    > the dial up internet connection (once that is working will then want to
    > share
    > printers).
    >
    > Both computers have wireless network cards.
    >
    > I have managed to set up the wireless network and it seems to be working
    > OK
    > but the internet connection sharing isn't working.
    >
    > The desktop still connects to the internet and works properly.
    >
    > The laptop sees the desk top system but it shows that the internet is not
    > connected to the desktop (even though it is).
    >
    > I have tried a number of different IP config and DNS settings (both
    > automatic and manually assigned) on both network cards but seem to be
    > chasing
    > my tail.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me some assistance to get this up and running?

+ Reply to Thread