11Mbps vs 54Mbps - Wireless

This is a discussion on 11Mbps vs 54Mbps - Wireless ; I have a new laptop IBM T60 with 802.11g wireless card built-in, and a new Linksys 802.11g router. However, I can only seem to get a 11Mbps connection out of it. When I turn on the radio, it connects at ...

  1. 11Mbps vs 54Mbps

    I have a new laptop IBM T60 with 802.11g wireless card built-in, and a new
    Linksys 802.11g router. However, I can only seem to get a 11Mbps connection
    out of it.

    When I turn on the radio, it connects at 54Mbps for a few seconds, then
    slows down. My signal strength is Excellent, I am not using any security,
    but do use MAC address filtering.

    How can I force the it to run the higher speed?

  2. Re: 11Mbps vs 54Mbps

    John Gregory wrote:
    > I have a new laptop IBM T60 with 802.11g wireless card built-in, and a new
    > Linksys 802.11g router. However, I can only seem to get a 11Mbps connection
    > out of it.
    >
    > When I turn on the radio, it connects at 54Mbps for a few seconds, then
    > slows down. My signal strength is Excellent, I am not using any security,
    > but do use MAC address filtering.
    >
    > How can I force the it to run the higher speed?

    Check the wireless settings in the router's configuration utility and
    make sure that it is set to "G-only".

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  3. Re: 11Mbps vs 54Mbps