looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in - Wireless

This is a discussion on looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in - Wireless ; I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4 machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a ...

  1. looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the network
    without having to be logged on.

    Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like it's
    wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    without having a user logged onto the machine.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Hi
    Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
    utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
    Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win XP).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
    > network
    > without having to be logged on.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
    > it's
    > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    >
    > Thank you.

  3. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Thank you Jack.

    Yes, I understand W2K does not have native wireless capability like XP does.
    I'm looking for a manufacturer who's NIC software is capable of running as a
    service. I was on the phone with Linksys tech support for over two hours
    trying to get up to Level 2, and to hopefully talk to somebody who knows as
    much as a 4th grader. It was very difficult. Level 2 finally said they
    would try and duplicate the problems I was having, and they did call me back
    today. Apparently, there software is not mean to run in the background as a
    Service. A user must be logged in at all times. It sounds like Linksys is
    not the product for me.

    Obviously Linksys is not the only player in the home owner class of wireless
    products. Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
    background? I would like to have an established network connection even
    though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

    Thank you.
    > Hi
    > Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
    > utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
    > Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win

    XP).
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    > >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in

    order
    > > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
    > > network
    > > without having to be logged on.
    > >
    > > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
    > > it's
    > > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

  4. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Roy Avery wrote:

    > Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
    > background? I would like to have an established network connection even
    > though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

    Leave the wireless network un-secured and almost any wireless client
    under W2K SP4 will log on to the network before the user has launched
    the client, although to my knowledge not before the user has activated
    the account (with Ctrl-Alt-Del).

  5. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
    > network
    > without having to be logged on.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
    > it's
    > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    >
    > Thank you.

    My laptop has an internal Intel adapter. Intel's software hus such a
    feature. Perhaps, if Intel makes a PCI or USB adapter, the software for it
    would allow your wish.

    I haven't enabled this action because I finally decided that I don't want or
    need the feature.

    Jim

  6. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Unsecured? Nope, that's not going to happen. Yes, I realize if somebody
    really, really wants into the network, they're going to get in, but I'm not
    going to have an open invitation for outsiders to see my machine names, and
    then get an idea to try and hack into them and get personal information.

    Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
    this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
    want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
    needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
    computer.

    For as long as wireless has been around, I'm very surprised this isn't how
    all NIC's are already.

    "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message
    > Roy Avery wrote:
    >

    > > Is anybody aware of a manufacturer who's software can run in the
    > > background? I would like to have an established network connection even
    > > though the machine is only at the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen.

    > Leave the wireless network un-secured and almost any wireless client
    > under W2K SP4 will log on to the network before the user has launched
    > the client, although to my knowledge not before the user has activated
    > the account (with Ctrl-Alt-Del).

  7. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Roy Avery wrote:

    > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't want
    > this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using. I
    > want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a user
    > needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired networked
    > computer.

    Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    logged in the local machine" on a wired network?

    That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

  8. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
    working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
    5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
    computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
    want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
    was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    completely out of the question.

    Any ideas?

    > Roy Avery wrote:
    >

    > > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't

    want
    > > this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be using.

    > > want the ability to be able to access files on the computer, without a

    user
    > > needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on a wired

    networked
    > > computer.

    > Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    > logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
    >
    > That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

  9. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    You need a client software that will auto-connect (authenticate, login etc.)
    to the wireless network and works with win2k.
    Obviously, Linksys doesn't bundle such software with their adapters, but
    their support may be able to recommend you something.

    For the future, you may be interested in the Intel Active Management Technology.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "Roy Avery" wrote in message news:132t1en5g3fbg21@corp.supernews.com...
    >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the network
    > without having to be logged on.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like it's
    > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    >
    > Thank you.

  10. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Roy Avery wrote:

    > "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message
    >
    > > Roy Avery wrote:
    > >

    > > > Still, your solution suggests the user will have to log in. I don't
    > > > want this either. This is going to be a machine that the kids will be
    > > > using. I want the ability to be able to access files on the computer,
    > > > without a user needing to be logged in the local machine, just like on
    > > > a wired networked computer.

    > > Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    > > logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
    > >
    > > That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

    > Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only person
    > working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations and
    > 5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on any
    > computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk. I
    > want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    > environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks. It
    > was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    > completely out of the question.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Run a windows domain.

  11. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Axel. The Linksys product referenced, REQUIRES the user to be logged on in
    order for the network to be established between the desktop and the Windows
    domain, worgroup, you name it.

    > Roy Avery wrote:
    >
    > > "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message

    be

    computer,

    on

    > > > Can you "access files on the computer,without a user needing to be
    > > > logged in the local machine" on a wired network?
    > > >
    > > > That's interesting. I've tried Googling. Can you provide a link?

    > > Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only

    person
    > > working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+ workstations

    and
    > > 5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file on

    any
    > > computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my desk.

    > > want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    > > environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks.

    It
    > > was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    > > completely out of the question.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    > Run a windows domain.

  12. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Thanks PA. Unfortunately, their support is completely inept. Trying to get
    from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is insane. "Do you have another machine you can test
    the product out on?" Seriously, the Cisco name on the outside of the
    Linksys box is a complete joke. Frustrating.

    Roy

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > You need a client software that will auto-connect (authenticate, login

    etc.)
    > to the wireless network and works with win2k.
    > Obviously, Linksys doesn't bundle such software with their adapters, but
    > their support may be able to recommend you something.
    >
    > For the future, you may be interested in the Intel Active Management

    Technology.

    > Regards,
    > --PA
    >
    > "Roy Avery" wrote in message

    > >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in

    order
    > > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the

    network
    > > without having to be logged on.
    > >
    > > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like

    it's
    > > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

  13. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Let me correct my statement. It is the WLAN Monitor software that REQUIRES
    the user to be logged on. I'm not sure why Linksys does not have a utility
    for W2K computers that can be run as a Service.

    "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    > Axel. The Linksys product referenced, REQUIRES the user to be logged on

    in
    > order for the network to be established between the desktop and the

    Windows
    > domain, worgroup, you name it.
    >

    > "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message
    > > Roy Avery wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote in message

    don't

    will
    > be

    > computer,

    like
    > on

    > > > Yes you can. I don't need a link or a google search. I was the only

    > person
    > > > working in the IT Dept of a four office law firm with 100+

    workstations
    > and
    > > > 5 servers. As long as the machine is on, I could check out any file

    on
    > any
    > > > computer or any server in the entire firm from the comforts of my

    desk.
    > > > want to be able to do the same thing in our home, but in a wireless
    > > > environment. I have practically zero experience in wireless networks.

    > It
    > > > was like pulling teeth to get money for IT upgrades, so wireless was
    > > > completely out of the question.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?

    > > Run a windows domain.

  14. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    I apologize. It's not the NIC that is the problem, but the WLAN Monitor
    software that is necessary for a Windows 2000 machine. Since the machine
    does not have Windows XP installed, I am stuck with the utility software
    offered by the NIC manufacturer. That is, unless there is a 3rd party
    software or a Microsoft package. Suggestions?

    "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    > I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in order
    > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the

    network
    > without having to be logged on.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like

    it's
    > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    >
    > Thank you.

  15. Re: looking for NIC that doesn't require user to be logged in

    Jack.

    Are you aware of any manufacturers who's software can be run as a "Service".
    Linksys' WLAN Monitor software requires a user to be logged on to the
    machine in order for the software to run. This means I would not be able to
    access files on the wireless machine without having a user logged on. I
    simply want to be able to do the usual \\machinename\sharename thing to
    access files on the wireless computer, WITHOUT having to have a user logged
    onto the wireless computer. Why is this so difficult for Linksys to
    comprehend? Their tech support pretty much knows jack squat about
    networking.

    Anyway, like I asked, are you aware of any other companies where this is
    possible, on a W2K machine? Netgear, Belkin, etc.?

    Thank you.

    Roy

    > Hi
    > Win 2000 does not have a native Wireless capability, so it is up to the
    > utility provided by the Card's manufacturer to provide auto connection.
    > Contact Linksys support may be that have a solution (or upgrade to Win

    XP).
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Roy Avery" wrote in message
    > >I picked up a Linksys WMP54G yesterday and installed it on a W2K Pro SP4
    > > machine. Unfortunately, I found out a user needs to be logged on in

    order
    > > for the NIC to connect to the AP. Is there a NIC out there where the
    > > software runs as a Service, allowing the machine to connected to the
    > > network
    > > without having to be logged on.
    > >
    > > Basically, I'm looking to have a wireless network, but have it act like
    > > it's
    > > wired. Not that I'd do it, but basically I'd like a NIC that I could
    > > install on a server, and let the server fulfill it's role as a server
    > > without having a user logged onto the machine.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread