please help me - Wireless

This is a discussion on please help me - Wireless ; Hi, I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say with no instructions), I thought this would be easy but............... I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and connects to the ...

  1. please help me

    Hi,

    I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say with
    no instructions), I thought this would be easy but...............

    I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and connects
    to the wireless connection, but when I try to open the internet (I use
    firefox) it say

    "page cannot be displayed"

    as if i'm offline

    ANY help will be MUCH appreciated

    Thank you so much in advance

    Shelley

    xx

  2. Re: please help me

    Hi
    Depending on your type on Internet connection, it might be an authentication
    issue.
    For Cable - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    For DSL - http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "shelleyh1980" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say
    > with
    > no instructions), I thought this would be easy but...............
    >
    > I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and
    > connects
    > to the wireless connection, but when I try to open the internet (I use
    > firefox) it say
    >
    > "page cannot be displayed"
    >
    > as if i'm offline
    >

    > ANY help will be MUCH appreciated
    >
    > Thank you so much in advance
    >
    > Shelley
    >
    > xx

  3. Re: please help me

    On 22-Apr-2007, =?Utf-8?B?c2hlbGxleWgxOTgw?=
    wrote:

    > I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say with
    > no instructions), I thought this would be easy but...............
    >
    > I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and connects
    > to the wireless connection, but when I try to open the internet (I use
    > firefox) it say
    >
    > "page cannot be displayed"
    >
    > as if i'm offline
    >
    > ANY help will be MUCH appreciated

    It's useful if you can access the routers configuration, it's probably
    as configured by the previous owner.
    The previous owner may have had problems.
    Search on Google and Belkin website for a downloadable PDF
    manual.
    Start ->Run -> ipconfig -all > C:\ipconfig.txt
    Then open ipconfig.txt with notepad and report here.
    The > in the command means write result of command to a
    file.
    Getting it working may be a step at a time process.
    Like are you using WZC to setup the connection, can you
    ping the router, can you access the routers config. menu
    etc?
    Laptop finds and connects is a good sign assuming
    it's found and connected to your router.

  4. Re: please help me

    shelleyh1980 wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say with
    > no instructions), I thought this would be easy but...............
    >
    > I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and connects
    > to the wireless connection, but when I try to open the internet (I use
    > firefox) it say
    >
    > "page cannot be displayed"
    >
    > as if i'm offline
    >

    > ANY help will be MUCH appreciated
    >
    > Thank you so much in advance
    >
    > Shelley
    >
    > xx

    When in doubt, read the instructions. When no instructions are
    supplied, check the manufacturer's web site. If you had identified
    which Belkin router you bought, we could have directed you to the
    manual, but just go to http://www.belkin.com/ and enter the model number
    in the product search box. The manual for Belkin's current 54g router,
    the F5D7230-4, is here:
    http://www.belkin.com/support/articl...id=5999&scid=0
    (click the little Adobe icon to download).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

  5. Re: please help me

    open a command line

    type in ipconfig

    look what the gateway is

    usually 192.168.2.1 on belkins

    type this into firefox/ie

    if it askes for a user/pass (belkins normaly don't) try the usual suspects

    user admin
    pass (blank) , admin 1234 user

    and run the setup to put your user pass etxc in

    give me more deatals like what country you are in who is your ip and I can
    help you more

    "shelleyh1980" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just bought a Belkin 54g wireless router off ebay (needless to say
    > with
    > no instructions), I thought this would be easy but...............
    >
    > I have plugged everything into my modem ok and my laptop finds and
    > connects
    > to the wireless connection, but when I try to open the internet (I use
    > firefox) it say
    >
    > "page cannot be displayed"
    >
    > as if i'm offline
    >

    > ANY help will be MUCH appreciated