XP shares, Vista will not - Wireless

This is a discussion on XP shares, Vista will not - Wireless ; New to wireless networking and need some guidance. Nothing exactly like my problem in other posts. Have a wireless network with XP desktop, Linksys router, and Vista Laptop. The Vista laptop also has a guest XP running under VPC 2007. ...

  1. XP shares, Vista will not

    New to wireless networking and need some guidance. Nothing exactly like my
    problem in other posts.

    Have a wireless network with XP desktop, Linksys router, and Vista Laptop.
    The Vista laptop also has a guest XP running under VPC 2007. Everything
    seems to work except this one thing: Neither XP machine can see the shared
    folders on the Vista machine, but can see shared folders on each other. The
    Vista machine shows the folders as shared if you use Vista's network
    discovery center. The Vista machine can see both XP's shared folders. No
    passwords are required to access shared folders on the LAN. The Vista
    firewall is set up to allow networking exceptions. I've run out of ideas on
    what else to try. I sure it's something stupid, but any help would be
    appreciated !

  2. RE: XP shares, Vista will not

    Fixed the problem. Turns out the Vista host was
    using a different workgroup name (not sure how that happened), which
    prevented the XP machines from having access. Not sure why Vista could see
    the
    XP files under the same conditions, but maybe that's just a difference with
    Vista. All 3 of the machines were using the same network name, just not all
    the same workgroup.

    "Eduardo" wrote:

    > New to wireless networking and need some guidance. Nothing exactly like my
    > problem in other posts.
    >
    > Have a wireless network with XP desktop, Linksys router, and Vista Laptop.
    > The Vista laptop also has a guest XP running under VPC 2007. Everything
    > seems to work except this one thing: Neither XP machine can see the shared
    > folders on the Vista machine, but can see shared folders on each other. The
    > Vista machine shows the folders as shared if you use Vista's network
    > discovery center. The Vista machine can see both XP's shared folders. No
    > passwords are required to access shared folders on the LAN. The Vista
    > firewall is set up to allow networking exceptions. I've run out of ideas on
    > what else to try. I sure it's something stupid, but any help would be
    > appreciated !

+ Reply to Thread