Hybrid Home Network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Hybrid Home Network - Wireless ; I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions. I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin. I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE) I want to network ...

  1. Hybrid Home Network

    I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions.

    I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin.
    I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE)

    I want to network them, with a wireless component for the laptop.

    The research that I have done suggests that if I can find a wireless router
    that will accept Ethernet input, then I can simply ethernet cable to the
    wireless router and the laptop will pick up the wireless signal, thus a
    hybrid network.

    The problem is finding a wireless router that will accept the ethernet input
    as opposed to a broad band cable or DSL line.

    Any solutions that someone can supply me with.

    Bill
    AKA JP

  2. Re: Hybrid Home Network

    "Just Plain Bill" Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7398DF89-9B9F-4B4C-A301-2724AC040288@microsoft.com...
    >I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions.
    >
    > I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin.
    > I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE)
    >
    > I want to network them, with a wireless component for the laptop.
    >
    > The research that I have done suggests that if I can find a wireless
    > router
    > that will accept Ethernet input, then I can simply ethernet cable to the
    > wireless router and the laptop will pick up the wireless signal, thus a
    > hybrid network.
    >
    > The problem is finding a wireless router that will accept the ethernet
    > input
    > as opposed to a broad band cable or DSL line.
    >
    > Any solutions that someone can supply me with.
    >
    > Bill
    > AKA JP

    Nearly all of the wireless routers have ethernet ports as well. Very few
    can connect directly to broadband cable or DSL.

    However, there is a bit more to creating the network than merely getting the
    hardware connected. One problem is that most people left Win98
    a long time ago; thus finding knowledgable help can be difficult. I for one
    never had (or needed) a home network when my computers were
    running Win98. Thus I have no idea about how to get Win98 connected.

    Jim

  3. Re: Hybrid Home Network

    Hi

    Wireless Routers have on the LAN side 4 wired ports, and wireless capacity
    for many Wireless computers.

    Independent from the Internet you can plug the two desktops to the wired
    ports, and the Laptop connects wirelessly.

    You set the File Sharing on each computer and they would talk one to the
    other.

    This page has info concerning setting the Network and File Sharing for
    Windows98, 2000, and XP. http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    The Router also has a WAN port, if a Cable, or DSL Modem is connected to the
    WAN port the three computers would connected to the Internet too, otherwise
    leave this port open.

    The whole thing looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Just Plain Bill" Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:7398DF89-9B9F-4B4C-A301-2724AC040288@microsoft.com...
    >I am attempting to set up my first network and have questions.
    >
    > I have a new HP Pavillion DV 6000 with XP and with wireless builtin.
    > I have an older tower running 98 (I think SE)
    >
    > I want to network them, with a wireless component for the laptop.
    >
    > The research that I have done suggests that if I can find a wireless
    > router
    > that will accept Ethernet input, then I can simply ethernet cable to the
    > wireless router and the laptop will pick up the wireless signal, thus a
    > hybrid network.
    >
    > The problem is finding a wireless router that will accept the ethernet
    > input
    > as opposed to a broad band cable or DSL line.
    >
    > Any solutions that someone can supply me with.
    >
    > Bill
    > AKA JP

+ Reply to Thread