Windows XP machine not recognized on network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows XP machine not recognized on network - Wireless ; I've got a desktop running Win XP connected by cable to a Linksys WRT54G router, and a laptop running Windows Vista. Internet access works fine on both machines, but I can only share files from the laptop - the desktop ...

  1. Windows XP machine not recognized on network

    I've got a desktop running Win XP connected by cable to a Linksys WRT54G
    router, and a laptop running Windows Vista. Internet access works fine on
    both machines, but I can only share files from the laptop - the desktop can
    access the shared folders on the laptop with no problem.

    Problem is that while "net view" on the laptop is listing the desktop, it
    can't see anything from the desktop and can't ping the desktop. In fact, the
    desktop can't even ping itself (I've tried by computer name and by static IP
    address). "net view" on the desktop yields "There are no entries in the
    list." There must be something fairly basic that I need to configure on the
    desktop's XP system, but I'm not sure what it is. (Apologies if this is
    answered elsewhere - I know there are a lot of threads on similar network
    config issues, but I couldn't find one that described my situation exactly.)

    Please help...

  2. Re: Windows XP machine not recognized on network

    Maybe that f/w problem, switch it off on desktop and check permissions of
    the share dir on desktop
    Arkady
    "RAS100" wrote in message
    > I've got a desktop running Win XP connected by cable to a Linksys WRT54G
    > router, and a laptop running Windows Vista. Internet access works fine on
    > both machines, but I can only share files from the laptop - the desktop
    > can
    > access the shared folders on the laptop with no problem.
    >
    > Problem is that while "net view" on the laptop is listing the desktop, it
    > can't see anything from the desktop and can't ping the desktop. In fact,
    > the
    > desktop can't even ping itself (I've tried by computer name and by static
    > IP
    > address). "net view" on the desktop yields "There are no entries in the
    > list." There must be something fairly basic that I need to configure on
    > the
    > desktop's XP system, but I'm not sure what it is. (Apologies if this is
    > answered elsewhere - I know there are a lot of threads on similar network
    > config issues, but I couldn't find one that described my situation
    > exactly.)
    >
    > Please help...

+ Reply to Thread