Explorer & Wireless Connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Explorer & Wireless Connection - Wireless ; Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection. In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is strong. However, when I go to Internet ...

  1. Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Hi,
    I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection.
    In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network
    Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is strong.

    However, when I go to Internet Explorer, I get a "Cannot find server"
    message.

    Under Properties>General for "Wireless Network Connection 2", it says
    "Connect using: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". Could this be the source of the
    problem?

    Any help would be much, much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Natalie

  2. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Hi
    What ever it said in the proeprties sounds good. I.e there is another
    problem somewhere some how.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "PianoNat" wrote in message
    news4947082-5DEE-4ADE-A33E-93CCE1FAF875@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection.
    > In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network
    > Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is
    > strong.
    >
    > However, when I go to Internet Explorer, I get a "Cannot find server"
    > message.
    >
    > Under Properties>General for "Wireless Network Connection 2", it says
    > "Connect using: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". Could this be the source of the
    > problem?
    >
    > Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Natalie

  3. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Maybe that f/w problem, just a hint.
    BTW , can you ping your AP ( router ) ?
    Arkady

    "PianoNat" wrote in message
    news4947082-5DEE-4ADE-A33E-93CCE1FAF875@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    > I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection.
    > In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network
    > Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is
    > strong.
    >
    > However, when I go to Internet Explorer, I get a "Cannot find server"
    > message.
    >
    > Under Properties>General for "Wireless Network Connection 2", it says
    > "Connect using: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". Could this be the source of the
    > problem?
    >
    > Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Natalie

  4. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    networks).

    if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    connection.

    if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

  5. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Hi,
    Sorry I was a bit vague.
    I'm trying to pick up the connection from two places (not my home router):
    at work and at a friend's house. I'd also like to be able to pick up a
    connection from coffee shops, etc.
    Do I need to configure settings differently for each place I'm trying to
    connect?
    Thanks so much,
    Natalie

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    > network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    > disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    > default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    > networks).
    >
    > if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    > to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    > connection.
    >
    > if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.
    >
    > On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:08:01 -0700, PianoNat
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection.
    > >In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network
    > >Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is strong.
    > >
    > >However, when I go to Internet Explorer, I get a "Cannot find server"
    > >message.
    > >
    > >Under Properties>General for "Wireless Network Connection 2", it says
    > >"Connect using: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". Could this be the source of the
    > >problem?
    > >
    > >Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Natalie

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  6. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    do you see a little connectoid in the system tray showing available
    wireless networks? you need to connect to a network and then
    configure. what version of Windows?

    at work, ask your IT person or admin to assist you with security and
    permissions

    at your friends house, ask for the passphrase needed for security

    at coffee shops, reboot, connect to wireless and try going to
    yahoo.com or similar which should bring up a login page or gateway
    page, etc.

    On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:52:03 -0700, PianoNat
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Sorry I was a bit vague.
    >I'm trying to pick up the connection from two places (not my home router):
    >at work and at a friend's house. I'd also like to be able to pick up a
    >connection from coffee shops, etc.
    >Do I need to configure settings differently for each place I'm trying to
    >connect?
    >Thanks so much,
    >Natalie
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    >> network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    >> disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    >> default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    >> networks).
    >>
    >> if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    >> to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:08:01 -0700, PianoNat
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >I am having a lot of trouble with my wireless connection.
    >> >In Network Connections, it says I am connected to "Wireless Network
    >> >Connection 2", specifically to the Network named "default". Signal is strong.
    >> >
    >> >However, when I go to Internet Explorer, I get a "Cannot find server"
    >> >message.
    >> >
    >> >Under Properties>General for "Wireless Network Connection 2", it says
    >> >"Connect using: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN". Could this be the source of the
    >> >problem?
    >> >
    >> >Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Natalie

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP
    >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

  7. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Hi,
    Yes, I see all the available wireless networks. I am able to "connect" to
    the networks at work and my friend's house with strong connections (at least
    that's what it says.) However, I'm not able to actually get online.
    Both the networks I wish to connect to are "unsecured". Doesn't that mean I
    shouldn't have to do any special configurations to connect?
    Thanks for your help,
    Natalie

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > do you see a little connectoid in the system tray showing available
    > wireless networks? you need to connect to a network and then
    > configure. what version of Windows?
    >
    > at work, ask your IT person or admin to assist you with security and
    > permissions
    >
    > at your friends house, ask for the passphrase needed for security
    >
    > at coffee shops, reboot, connect to wireless and try going to
    > yahoo.com or similar which should bring up a login page or gateway
    > page, etc.
    >
    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:52:03 -0700, PianoNat
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >Sorry I was a bit vague.
    > >I'm trying to pick up the connection from two places (not my home router):
    > >at work and at a friend's house. I'd also like to be able to pick up a
    > >connection from coffee shops, etc.
    > >Do I need to configure settings differently for each place I'm trying to
    > >connect?
    > >Thanks so much,
    > >Natalie
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    > >> network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    > >> disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    > >> default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    > >> networks).
    > >>
    > >> if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    > >> to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    > >> connection.
    > >>
    > >> if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  8. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    Hi,
    I think I'm getting somewhere. Now I'm receiving the following message:
    "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action
    cannot be completed:
    Renewing your IP address
    For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

    Does this help?

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > do you see a little connectoid in the system tray showing available
    > wireless networks? you need to connect to a network and then
    > configure. what version of Windows?
    >
    > at work, ask your IT person or admin to assist you with security and
    > permissions
    >
    > at your friends house, ask for the passphrase needed for security
    >
    > at coffee shops, reboot, connect to wireless and try going to
    > yahoo.com or similar which should bring up a login page or gateway
    > page, etc.
    >
    > On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:52:03 -0700, PianoNat
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >Sorry I was a bit vague.
    > >I'm trying to pick up the connection from two places (not my home router):
    > >at work and at a friend's house. I'd also like to be able to pick up a
    > >connection from coffee shops, etc.
    > >Do I need to configure settings differently for each place I'm trying to
    > >connect?
    > >Thanks so much,
    > >Natalie
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    > >
    > >> this sounds like you are connected to someone else's insecure
    > >> network. if you are using a wired Ethernet connection, you could
    > >> disable the wireless or change settings (remove the network named
    > >> default and then uncheck automatically connect to no preferred
    > >> networks).
    > >>
    > >> if you have your own wireless router, change the name from default
    > >> to something else. then configure your security. then configure your
    > >> connection.
    > >>
    > >> if you can explain your situation a little more, it would help.

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS Windows-MVP
    > >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

  9. Re: Explorer & Wireless Connection

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 *may* be the reason you are
    seeing this message if you are running Vista. However, you didn't
    answer the question as to what version of Windows you are running.

    In any case, cann you run a cmd prompt (elevated if Vista) and type

    ipconfig /all [enter]

    copy the results to the clipboard and paste it all in here